• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley's Vision at Nebraska Coming Together

Status
Not open for further replies.
You continue to suggest that Riley didn't recruit quality players because he was at Orgie Lite. That's hogwash.

He recruited quality players at OSU. He recruits quality players at Nebraska. He just doesn't get them to commit at the rate Top 25 schools get them to commit. There's no need for you to keep diminishing his effort.

It's OK, I now see that you don't recognize the various ratings of players, that 'good' is 'good' at all schools in your scenario. That's a really interest perspective and one that really must mean success if far more about X's and O's, than Jimmys and Joes. Les Miles and Mack Brown really must have been better than we'd all realized.

Cheese and Rice. Some of you people simply have a one track mind. News flash....Mike Riley is NEVER going to run the offense that you want. Period. End of story. And no matter the record you will never be happy about it.

In truth, I have no system preference. Statistically, National Championship teams of the past decade both run and pass effectively, and with varying emphasis on either facet. I merely observed that the OL has not played with aggression off the ball in the run game, nor did they practice in this fashion during the spring. I do glean signs of this concern in HCMR's comments and remain hopeful that he will adjust in the future. Any college team with an inefficient run game will be subject to constant pressure as defenses are able to commit more bodies to routes. I think we can all agree that without practicing extensively with leverage, technique, and aggression, those traits will not show up on Saturday.

Last edited:
Agree across the board. I'd say Frank's career at Ohio is very similar to Riley's at OSU. Both coaches took their respective teams to 8 bowls in their most recent 12-year tenures, which is very successful relative to the abysmal histories of the programs prior to their arrival. Frank brought Ohio its very first bowl win and Riley's 6 bowl wins are more than all previous OSU coaches combined.

Frank had the unenviable task of following Tom Osborne....and not late '80s/early '90s 9-3 Tom Osborne...but peak, everything came together, 60-3, 3 MNCs in 5 years Tom Osborne. Nobody was going to follow that act.
Might be more accurate to say the fan base would not accept his level of success. There was nothing particularly abberant about his record.

You continue to suggest that Riley didn't recruit quality players because he was at Orgie Lite. That's hogwash.

He recruited quality players at OSU. He recruits quality players at Nebraska. He just doesn't get them to commit at the rate Top 25 schools get them to commit. There's no need for you to keep diminishing his effort.
When someone talks about the quality of player being recruited they actually mean the kids who commit to Nebraska. Everyone can recruit the top five star player, but only one is going to get him.

When someone talks about the quality of player being recruited they actually mean the kids who commit to Nebraska. Everyone can recruit the top five star player, but only one is going to get him.

No, that's not at all what I was referencing. When I say recruited, I mean recruited. Not the simple form letter, or one and done phone call to the stud who would never consider any school other than those that habitually finish in the top 10. I mean recruited: regular phone calls, coaches visits, player visits, letters, tweeting. When you are Oregon State, those 5* guys basically tell you during your first contact 'don't bother'. There are plenty of kids who tell Nebraska the same thing, or Michigan if they want to stay down south or close to home, but I'd say it's far more regular for Oregon State to be told that than Nebraska.

Coaching staffs understand ROI, and with the finite resources they all have, you don't give all of your time to players who aren't going to be coming to campus. You focus your efforts toward players you are more likely going to be able to sign, which in most cases means lower rated players if you are a habitually marginal team.

No, that's not at all what I was referencing. When I say recruited, I mean recruited. Not the simple form letter, or one and done phone call to the stud who would never consider any school other than those that habitually finish in the top 10. I mean recruited: regular phone calls, coaches visits, player visits, letters, tweeting. When you are Oregon State, those 5* guys basically tell you during your first contact 'don't bother'. There are plenty of kids who tell Nebraska the same thing, or Michigan if they want to stay down south or close to home, but I'd say it's far more regular for Oregon State to be told that than Nebraska.

Coaching staffs understand ROI, and with the finite resources they all have, you don't give all of your time to players who aren't going to be coming to campus. You focus your efforts toward players you are more likely going to be able to sign, which in most cases means lower rated players if you are a habitually marginal team.
And again, there is a big difference between recruiting a player and actually signing them to a LOI. It is meaningless to talk about how much better a staff might be at recruiting if the result is no better than it was with the previous staff. So far, it is on par with the previous staff, especially considering the differences in the type of player.

I'm hoping this years (2018) class is appreciably better than #25.

And again, there is a big difference between recruiting a player and actually signing them to a LOI. It is meaningless to talk about how much better a staff might be at recruiting if the result is no better than it was with the previous staff. So far, it is on par with the previous staff, especially considering the differences in the type of player.

I'm hoping this years (2018) class is appreciably better than #25.
:Rolf::Rolf::Banghead::Rolf::Rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back