• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Riley's Vision at Nebraska Coming Together

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I like most about what I am seeing is that although Riley is bringing a new philosophy and new schemes, he's showing great respect for the traditions that we have here. He's embraced everything about the Nebraska program, from the fans to the blackshirts to the high expectations. He doesn't act like recruiting to Lincoln is a yoke around his neck. It's what makes him different from our past two coaching failures and why any comparisons to either of those coaches is misplaced. He's not abandoning his offensive philosophy or his approach to the game, but he's also molding it what was already great about the program.

He respects the tradition, but more than that the program and the fans and the state. I believe he wants to win because he understands and likes this place. If not for the job I'm sure he wouldn't have moved here, of course. But that doesn't mean he can't like and respect what he found once he got here.

I want him to be very successful for the benefit of the team and me and my school and my state, but I can't imagine wanting a coach to be successful for the benefit of the coach himself anymore than I do Coach Riley. He deserves anything good he can make happen here.

Last edited:

We're at 10 and they're at 11 in the 247 Composite right now*. Eat our dust, Gophers!

* But you're probably and hopefully right. They have a lower average ranking and more commits.

Just to further illustrate your last sentence, our bottom 3 recruits are comparable to all 10 of their recruits. But any one of our top 4 recruits would be, by a good margin, the crown jewel of their class.

In his first year, DJ Durkin took Maryland from the 42nd best class in 2016 to 18th best in 2017...and he didn't even have a good season (6-7 record last season) . A young energetic coach can make a big difference with recruiting. It's a salesmanship thing.

If Minnesota beats UNL on the field this year, that could make a recruiting difference, too. Does anybody know that's not going to happen?

I like our staff. Good mix of older (Riley) and enthusiastic with Williams, Parella, and Diaco.

care to make a wager?

Hmm, probably not this year, but maybe in another year or two.

Western Michigan recruiting classes. PJ Fleck was hired in 2012.

Recruiting class / NCAA rank/ Group of 5 rank / MAC rank

2012 / 95th / 30th / 5th
2013 / 112th / 47th / 7th
2014 / 71st / 9th / 1st
2015 / 76th / 11th / 1st
2016 / 71st / 10th / 1st

Last edited:
B1G has higher academic standards than the MAC. Different conference, different limitations.

B1G has higher academic standards than the MAC. Different conference, different limitations.

Doesn't matter. You are either an elite recruiter or you are not.

Now, the Husker faithful don't want to think anyone in the West can recruit like MR, but some people have a different point of view.

When Western Michigan was sitting at 10-0 last season, 247 Sports decided to have a look at PJ Fleck.

"But the foundation of Fleck’s program is recruiting. He’s the key figure to it all.

Obviously a recruit has to be good at football, but also finding the “elite” kind of guy that fits the “row the boat” culture. Fleck is already as hard-working a head coach recruiter as you’re going to find in America. Certainly on a smaller scale than Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney, but it won’t be long before Fleck’s name is regularly mentioned alongside those guys as the best recruiter in the country, because he recognizes it’s the lifeblood of his program. He doesn’t just say that, he lives it."

http://247sports.com/Article/Western-Michigan-PJ-Fleck-is-an-elite-head-coach-recruiter-48982998

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. You are either an elite recruiter or you are not.

Now, the Husker faithful don't want to think anyone in the West can recruit like MR, but some people have a different point of view.

When Western Michigan was sitting at 10-0 last season, 247 Sports decided to have a look at PJ Fleck.

"But the foundation of Fleck’s program is recruiting. He’s the key figure to it all.

Obviously a recruit has to be good at football, but also finding the “elite” kind of guy that fits the “row the boat” culture. Fleck is already as hard-working a head coach recruiter as you’re going to find in America. Certainly on a smaller scale than Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney, but it won’t be long before Fleck’s name is regularly mentioned alongside those guys as the best recruiter in the country, because he recognizes it’s the lifeblood of his program. He doesn’t just say that, he lives it."

http://247sports.com/Article/Western-Michigan-PJ-Fleck-is-an-elite-head-coach-recruiter-48982998

I'm sure he is and will be a good recruiter but there is a big, and I mean very big difference between the Mid American and the B1G. On top of that it is the Gophers, maybe if he was at PSU, OSU, MSU, or UM. As it stands I can't see them beating out NU unless something drastic has happened to the program.

Did you see all those commits NU landed? Woo doggie, MR getting this ship steaming in the right direction now that it is pointed that way.

C

I'm sure he is and will be a good recruiter but there is a big, and I mean very big difference between the Mid American and the B1G. On top of that it is the Gophers, maybe if he was at PSU, OSU, MSU, or UM. As it stands I can't see them beating out NU unless something drastic has happened to the program.

Did you see all those commits NU landed? Woo doggie, MR getting this ship steaming in the right direction now that it is pointed that way.
C

MR is a very good recruiter. He will provide a stiff challenge for PJ Fleck. But we need to consider some famous quotes....

"I can remember loving to recruit. I knew I was going to do my best. But traveling and recruiting doesn't appeal to me any more. It's not as much fun as it used to be."

Bear Bryant

"The thing that drives most coaches out of coaching in college is they get tired of the grind of recruiting."

Bobby Bowden

"Recruiting is a competition and you can't declare a winner until the final gun has sounded 03 February"

Paramus

Last edited:
Just to further illustrate your last sentence, our bottom 3 recruits are comparable to all 10 of their recruits. But any one of our top 4 recruits would be, by a good margin, the crown jewel of their class.

Hell, Bookie could be the crown jewel in many programs classes. That young man can jump.

C

MR is a very good recruiter. He will provide a stiff challenge for PJ Fleck. But we need to consider some famous quotes....

"I can remember loving to recruit. I knew I was going to do my best. But traveling and recruiting doesn't appeal to me any more. It's not as much fun as it used to be."

Bear Bryant

"The thing that drives most coaches out of coaching in college is they get tired of the grind of recruiting."

Bobby Bowden

"Recruiting is a competition and you can't declare a winner until the final gun has sounded each year on 3 February"

Paramus

Cool quotes, don't mean anything though.

C

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back