• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ok, So who goes ?

Lakewood Husker

All Big 10
15 Year Member
It seems as though the SF crowd are all in on him, and for all I know he may be the next great coach.

It is also my understanding that SF is set in his ways of the offense he wants to run, as the stats show UCF's second leading rusher is their QB. We currently have three QBs that don't really want to run 10-15 times a game. Let's say SF is hired , do we say goodbye to all 3 ? TL will never run that offense, POB might, Gebbia is a gunslinger who would not want to run that offense. Who gives ? SF retools his playbook ? We have 3 QBs transfer and we play a JC transfer dual threat ? 2 transfer ? Or SF recruits his guy right away and plays as a freshman.

It seems as though the SF crowd are all in on him, and for all I know he may be the next great coach.

It is also my understanding that SF is set in his ways of the offense he wants to run, as the stats show UCF's second leading rusher is their QB. We currently have three QBs that don't really want to run 10-15 times a game. Let's say SF is hired , do we say goodbye to all 3 ? TL will never run that offense, POB might, Gebbia is a gunslinger who would not want to run that offense. Who gives ? SF retools his playbook ? We have 3 QBs transfer and we play a JC transfer dual threat ? 2 transfer ? Or SF recruits his guy right away and plays as a freshman.

I have stayed away from talking about any other coaches other than our staff that is currently here, I think that does a disservice to them. This once I will comment: How ticked off will people be if SF doesn't come here? Do people just want Riley gone and will take anyone? or do people only want Riley gone if SF comes? And to your question if SF comes and completely changes the offense how long do they give him to turn things around?

I want a coach who understands what it will take to win at a high level at DONU. One who brings toughness, physicality, and sound coaching.

A coach who wins the ones he's supposed to, and plays tough and hard in all games.

I want a coach who understands what it will take to win at a high level at DONU. One who brings toughness, physicality, and sound coaching.

A coach who wins the ones he's supposed to, and plays tough and hard in all games.
Well we kind of need a QB no matter how "tough" we are. It is conceivable we could hire SF and have 3 QB's transfer. If that would happen I would suspect we will have a difficult transition, food for thought.

Gebbia would be fine in a Frost offense . . .

Also . . . POB ran a bit in HS as did Bunch. Lee is the only QB we have who would be totally out of water with a move away from WCO. Gebbia is probably the most capable, but we're not bereft of QBs who could run a spread or pistol-based offense (whether that would be Frost or someone else coaching).

Seriously I can't see any of them staying. I'm going to miss seeing Gebbia play for us, frankly, if it does come down to that.

Help me understand what your thought process is here, 'nut. You believe all of our QBs are willing to play for a coach at another school, but they won't play for Nebraska unless the head coach's name is Riley?

Preface: I am not suggesting that we should fire Riley or that Frost is the can't miss savior of Nebraska football. I am waiting until the end of the year to make up my mind. And if Riley is fired, any or all of the 3 QBs may decide to leave regardless of who the new coach will be given their ties to the current staff.
However, in response to the initial post...
Watching the UCF game from start to finish this weekend gave me the opposite opinion of Frost's offense. I kept thinking to myself that Tanner Lee could run that offense. There were a few QB designed runs, which I expect are being included only because Milton is mobile enough to run them. The UCF offense is all about spreading out the defense and getting playmakers the ball in space. They spread out running the football with 6 players at over 100 yards rushing for the year, which is why Milton is the 2nd leading rusher statistically.
Stats:
Milton Rushing: 40 out of 238 carries (~7/game), 17% of team carries (~1 in every 6) and 18% of total rushing yards. And those include QB sacks and scrambles. Called run plays are probably closer to 5-6/game, not 10-15. Plus that's knowing you have a mobile QB.
As for passing, a lot of quick reads and throws that make it easy on the QB. Even on downfield throws receivers are usually wide open in that offense.
Milton Throwing: 287 yds/game at 70% completion percentage.
You drop Lee in the UCF offense with his strong arm and (often) accuracy, he could throw for 300 yds/game as well (at 244 yds/game now).
Both in this game and earlier this year it looked like UCF threw the ball a reasonable amount early in the game and got a lead, then moved to running the ball more heavily in the 2nd half. For example, 17 passes (includes a sack) versus 20 rushes in the 1st half on Saturday and UCF only had 24 passes for the game (unofficial: I quickly used play-by-play from ESPN). Not sure how to find first half stats by game, but I think they would support my assertion since all of UCF's other games were blowouts.
I think this offense could fit the skillset of all 3 QBs we have. For Lee, shift the QB runs to RPOs. O'Brien is just as mobile as Milton to scramble and have a few QB keepers per game based on his ability to run in HS. Gebbia would fit the UCF offense to a tee because he does not have quite the arm as Lee but is used to getting athletes the ball quickly in space (see HS film).

Also . . . POB ran a bit in HS as did Bunch. Lee is the only QB we have who would be totally out of water with a move away from WCO. Gebbia is probably the most capable, but we're not bereft of QBs who could run a spread or pistol-based offense (whether that would be Frost or someone else coaching).
You're right POB did run on some keepers that is why I suspect he would be the most capable. Gebbia I think wants to play a pro style at least that is my understanding.

As DC and ramsker pointed out we'll be fine at QB I'd think. Also did anyone notice that Chinander runs a 3-4 so we'd be ready for that too ;)

Last edited:
You're right POB did run on some keepers that is why I suspect he would be the most capable. Gebbia I think wants to play a pro style at least that is my understanding.

As DC and ramsker pointed out we'll be fine at QB I'd think. Also did anyone notice that Chinander runs a 3-4 so we'd be ready for that too ;)

I'll be honest . . . I watched pretty much zero film of Gebbia in HS and I have no clue what he may or may not have commetned on as far as what style he wants to play. But looking at him in the spring game, he was in more than a few spread-type looks (gun, pistol a few times) and he ran some ZR and RPO. He looked pretty darn comfortable and capable in that offense. We were far more diverse with Gebbia in the spring game than we have been in actual games this year (and for good reason, since Lee's not that kind of QB even remotey).

So, just sayin' . . . we have guys who can run that kind of offense and we have more than one.

Last edited:

Why can't we consider a true Freshman. There are a lot of dynamic ones out there. Knowing they have a chance to play for Scott Frost right away at Nebraska could be a great recruiting advantage.

Help me understand what your thought process is here, 'nut. You believe all of our QBs are willing to play for a coach at another school, but they won't play for Nebraska unless the head coach's name is Riley?
offense, not coach.

that said i could see gebbia staying...maybe even POB as well since they have both used their redshirt.

What a twist that would be, to see POB go from the “odd man out / transfer candidate” to option #1.

Talk of Gebbia fulfilling this role sounds crazy to me, he is too diminuative to take those hits. Really a small guy

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back