• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No more Mr. Niceguy

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I did voice concerns early on about Riley not getting player buy-in and not implementing his offense but instead modifying it to existing starters. this set the stage for the events that occurred later, though they may have happened anyway. But, the "critics" at that time hated the Riley hire, and they were bound and determined to hate every moment of his tenure. I could never be on board with that type of criticism so early on in a coaches tenure. You wanted us all agreeing that Riley sucked from the start? That's a non-starter for me...any new hire deserves some time.
Yeah, you blamed the players for Riley's ineptitude. We all remember.

I see not much bitching, but instead a pretty civil, decent conversation about something said on the Husker tour. Maybe you guys can provide a list of items it’s ok to discuss and how we should properly discuss them.

Sure, I can give you a list. Talk about anything you want. What I chose to talk about was how I thought the whole thing was being blown out of proportion.

As someone who has coached many sports at many levels. Some kids will take this kind of thing and absolutely run with it. Others you have to sit and talk too.
I think this post is really important. There are probably certain players on the team that would respond well to this, others that would not. It's up to the coaches to know their players.

I am thinking of two specific players I had last season. One of them thrived on positive recognition in front of his teammates. He was a kid that would have gone into a shell if he were criticized publicly. The other kid thrived on challenges. I could have criticized him publicly, and he would have shown up to practice ready to fight a Marine battalion on his own with his bare hands. Then he would've turned around, given me a hug, and told me thanks.

It's all about knowing your players and how to get the best out of them.

For those of y'all still going down the personal attack and barb please stop. An overall good thread gets pulled down with your nonsense. Anymore and some of you are going to get locked out of this thread and perhaps given a day or two away to chill

RR

I think this thread has pretty much run it's course. I've learned a lot from the thread. I now know that some folks who've been adamant that players not be criticized publicly, especially--heaven forbid--on this board, because they don't get paid the big bucks like coaches do, are fine with big buck coaches publicly shaming a player. Who would've thought THAT? Cool to know folks are so flexible in their beliefs.

Last edited:
I think this thread has pretty much run it's course. I've learned a lot from the thread. I now know that some folks who've been adamant that players not be criticized publicly, especially--heaven forbid--on this board, because they don't get paid the big bucks like coaches do, are fine with big buck coaches publicly shaming a player. Who would've thought THAT? Cool to know folks are so flexible in their beliefs.
Criticism from a message board fan, who spends a grand total of zero minutes with a player
vs.
Criticism from a coach, who spends days, weeks, months, and years with a player.

One of them is ignorant... can you guess which one?

Don't over dramatize to attempt being right. That was far from a public shaming. It was a story to a reporter about how they handled a situation with a player. In past sense. It was not running to the press and shaming a player in a present sense. I guess its more important to be right than believing this staff has a grasp on the situation.

Criticism from a message board fan, who spends a grand total of zero minutes with a player
vs.
Criticism from a coach, who spends days, weeks, months, and years with a player.

One of them is ignorant... can you guess which one?

I'm not sure what you did not understand about my post of no more personal attacks or barbs?

You have an issue with him take it to PMs or report it and we can deal with off the forum.

As much as I hate to do it may be time to go into a zero tolerance mode again on this forum

I am not going to vacation you only because you were not part of the problem before this post. In the future help me out

Thanks

RR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back