• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NFL Discussion Thread

I'm still having fun with Philly's thumping of the Cowboys.

Eagles fans postgame in Dallas last night ... "Hit 'em low, hit 'em high ... and watch those Eagles fly!"

If you're an Eagles fan, turn up the audio. If not, you'd best keep it muted.

Last edited:

Huge win for the Falcons.
Yep.. huge win! It was almost do or die time for the Falcons. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out the FAKE FG Pete tried the first half????? If he had just kicked it game could well have gone to OT instead a 3 point loss. PC certainly makes some strange calls and some work out but a few decisions however have been killers.

GO PATS........

The Dallas offense is beyond pathetic minus Elliot. Can't even blame having Tyron Smith out today -- since he's playing.

Also, I'm convinced Dak needs Zeke more than Zeke needs Dak. But I should add, Dak's receiving corp is not good. Dez is a shell of what he once was.

Last edited:
The Dallas offense is beyond pathetic minus Elliot. Can't even blame having Tyron Smith out today -- since he's playing.

Also, I'm convinced Dak needs Zeke more than Zeke needs Dak. But I should add, Dak's receiving corp is not good. Dez is a shell of what he once was.
I'll say it again...Dak is overrated. He may turn out to be a special QB, but too many people anointed him as one too soon.

I'll say it again...Dak is overrated. He may turn out to be a special QB, but too many people anointed him as one too soon.
Dak is not ever going to be a guy that carries a team with his arm. He is best when the running game is clicking and the defense has to cheat to stop the run. Then he can pick apart the defense. But if the defense is playing pass first, he will be average. With the diminished running threat for the Cowboys(no Elliot but also the OL taking a step back this year) Dak is being asked to be too much of the offense. He doesn't have any stars in his receiving core and its a problem. Not to mention the defense struggles with out Lee. Today the Cowboys played from behind almost from the start and the running game disappeared. Last week against Philly, the defense pretty much shut down Wentz and Co in the 1st half but the offense didn't do much. Against a team like the Eagles, thats only going to last so long when the offense isn't putting drives together and the defense wore out.

I love Romo as an announcer but I had to laugh when he outlined how the Cowboys could still win 9-10 games. I just can't see it.

Here is an interesting stat. Its been 33 quarters since a Cowboys opponent was called for holding.:confused:

I love Romo as an announcer but I had to laugh when he outlined how the Cowboys could still win 9-10 games. I just can't see it.

Five games remaining ...

Skins
@Giants
@Raiders
Seahawks
@Eagles

Romo was definitely making a homer call.

Yes, if Elliot was playing for all of these, 4 or 5 wins would be quite possible. It's not a daunting remaining schedule. But considering Dallas has scored an average of just over 7 points the past three games (minus Elliot), there's no way they can win 4 or 5. Granted, he'll be back for the last two.

I'm guessing Washington will be favored in the next game. Though not by much, as they are really banged up. "Should" beat the Giants, but that game could go into OT tied at 0. At best, a coin flip as to who wins the Raiders game (Oakland is probably the slight favorite at this point).

And then Elliot returns -- but the last two are the toughest games regardless. It's possible that the last game for the Eagles is meaningless, and Philly plays its scrubs. But it's still a close enough race, that Philly may need to win that to maintain home field in the playoffs.

As of today, Dallas probably has a better chance of losing its next 4 or 5 games than winning. Most likely, they'll win between 1 and 3 of their remaining games.

You mentioned the Cowboys receivers. As I mentioned above, it's surprising to me just how much Dez has fallen. He's now no better than a #2 WR. And the rest of the receiving corp can only be good if he's a threat. And he's not much of one any longer.

Last edited:
Five games remaining ...

Skins
@Giants
@Raiders
Seahawks
@Eagles

Romo was definitely making a homer call.

Yes, if Elliot was playing for all of these, 4 or 5 wins would be quite possible. It's not a daunting remaining schedule. But considering Dallas has scored an average of just over 7 points the past three games (minus Elliot), there's no way they can win 4 or 5. Granted, he'll be back for the last two.

I'm guessing Washington will be favored in the next game. Though not by much, as they are really banged up. "Should" beat the Giants, but that game could go into OT tied at 0. At best, a coin flip as to who wins the Raiders game (Oakland is probably the slight favorite at this point).

And then Elliot returns -- but the last two are the toughest games regardless. It's possible that the last game for the Eagles is meaningless, and Philly plays its scrubs. But it's still a close enough race, that Philly may need to win that to maintain home field in the playoffs.

As of today, Dallas probably has a better chance of losing its next 4 or 5 games than winning. Most likely, they'll win between 1 and 3 of their remaining games.

You mentioned the Cowboys receivers. As I mentioned above, it's surprising to me just how much Dez has fallen. He's now no better than a #2 WR. And the rest of the receiving corp can only be good if he's a threat. And he's not much of one any longer.
What sucks is, this NFL season really has no team that stands out over the rest. There is no team out there that is an obvious team to beat. And the Cowboys decide to take two huge steps backwards. I am really doubting the current staff of the Cowboys and to be honest, every team I pull for at this point outside of Husker volleyball.

What sucks is, this NFL season really has no team that stands out over the rest. There is no team out there that is an obvious team to beat. And the Cowboys decide to take two huge steps backwards. I am really doubting the current staff of the Cowboys and to be honest, every team I pull for at this point outside of Husker volleyball.

No doubt, if I didn't have Philly sports teams to root for (I also love what the Sixers are doing -- though I know you do not like the NBA), this would be dreadful sports year.

I know you are not alone in doubting Jason Garrett (though you did only say "staff."). He's had a long tenure now with limited success. Jerry keeps around because he's a good robot. But it's probably gotten to the point where the staff needs some serious shaking up.

I do think the Eagles, Saints, Vikings, and Patriots are really good. But none are unbeatable. Definitely a season where if Dallas had remained healthy and played up to expectations, they could have made a run at a championship.

No doubt, if I didn't have Philly sports teams to root for (I also love what the Sixers are doing -- though I know you do not like the NBA), this would be dreadful sports year.

I know you are not alone in doubting Jason Garrett (though you did only say "staff."). He's had a long tenure now with limited success. Jerry keeps around because he's a good robot. But it's probably gotten to the point where the staff needs some serious shaking up.

I do think the Eagles, Saints, Vikings, and Patriots are really good. But none are unbeatable. Definitely a season where if Dallas had remained healthy and played up to expectations, they could have made a run at a championship.
Without a doubt Jones loves Garrett because he is his puppet. The telling stat is how the Cowboys have gotten completely outcoached after halftime most of the season.

As far as the contending teams go, there are good teams, but none that I see as great. As much as I hate to admit it, the Patriots keep looking better and better. I was ready to write them off earlier in the season with their horrible defense but as always, they seem as if they will be peaking at the right time.

I am not dismissing the Eagles but I am not completely sold on them. It might be my built in bias. Same with the Vikings although considering they are on their 3rd string QB and still playing awfully well, they are hard to ignore. I will never trust the Saints when it comes to the post-season. This might be one of those years where a wild card gets hot and wins it all. It definitely won't be the Cowboys though.

Without a doubt Jones loves Garrett because he is his puppet. The telling stat is how the Cowboys have gotten completely outcoached after halftime most of the season.

As far as the contending teams go, there are good teams, but none that I see as great. As much as I hate to admit it, the Patriots keep looking better and better. I was ready to write them off earlier in the season with their horrible defense but as always, they seem as if they will be peaking at the right time.

I am not dismissing the Eagles but I am not completely sold on them. It might be my built in bias. Same with the Vikings although considering they are on their 3rd string QB and still playing awfully well, they are hard to ignore. I will never trust the Saints when it comes to the post-season. This might be one of those years where a wild card gets hot and wins it all. It definitely won't be the Cowboys though.

I'd definitely pick the Patriots as of today. I had the same skepticism with their defense. But that staff always makes solid corrections. It's a machine in New England, and I (like 95% of America) is sick of it.

It is hard to put a lot of faith on three surprise teams from the NFC. No one expected the Vikings, Saints, and Eagles to be the top three in the NFC. So, it's reasonable to have doubts. The reason I do put a bit more stock in the Saints this preseason is because they actually have a competent defense. And their running game makes that offense work. In the past many seasons, it's all been on Drew Brees. It isn't now. Yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they got bumped early. Carolina, Seattle, or the Rams could easily pull upsets in the playoffs. (I'm actually less convinced of Seattle than the other two, however.)

I'd definitely pick the Patriots as of today. I had the same skepticism with their defense. But that staff always makes solid corrections. It's a machine in New England, and I (like 95% of America) is sick of it.

It is hard to put a lot of faith on three surprise teams from the NFC. No one expected the Vikings, Saints, and Eagles to be the top three in the NFC. So, it's reasonable to have doubts. The reason I do put a bit more stock in the Saints this preseason is because they actually have a competent defense. And their running game makes that offense work. In the past many seasons, it's all been on Drew Brees. It isn't now. Yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they got bumped early. Carolina, Seattle, or the Rams could easily pull upsets in the playoffs. (I'm actually less convinced of Seattle than the other two, however.)
Seattle has no run game at all. No way they go far.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back