• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My official sorta prediction 2018

Hmmm, let's see. A team that won 4 games last year. A completely new system. A roster full of players who were not recruited for those systems. One of the toughest schedules in the country.

I would say that a winning season and a team that is better at the end of the year than they were at the beginning would be an acceptable result in Year 1.

I haven't seen anyone say 10-2 is minimum acceptable. I'm probably the closest to having that opinion, but 6-6 would be acceptable to me. Very disappointing, but still acceptable.

I would be happy with 9-3 and then a bowl win. But I won't be happy/satisfied with anything less. That doesn't mean I would give up on Frost. It would simply mean the damage done by Riley was much deeper than I thought.
Not making a bowl game would be a failure. Riley and Co sucked but brought talent to Nebraska. Too bad they didn't know how to make it work.

Watch out for Troy. #27 on 2017 Coaches Poll (final). Troy beat LSU and almost beat Clemson.

Not 100% sure but I think Troy loses their starting QB, RB, One of their starting WR, and their back-up RB

@Hooked on Huskers is correct in that Troy did beat LSU @ LSU last year but they lost to Clemson in 2016. Troy knows what it's like to play the big boys.

@NewYorksker is correct in that Troy loses their QB (career 10,000+ passing yards) and their returning QB has only 13 career pass attempts. They also lose their top two RBs and #3 and #4 WRs. Not sure they will be averaging 31.5 points a game in 2018 like they did last year.

In 2017 Troy went 11-2 and had a salty defense while giving up about 18.5 points per game. Seeing the guys they have returning for 2018, I would expect a fairly nasty and opportunistic defense when Nebraska plays them. They had 28 guys play at least 11 games last year on defense and 19 of them return. Of those returning D players... 63 TFL, 23.5 sacks and 15 INTs.

IMO, I think this game sets up to be a perfect home opener for Nebraska.

Last edited:
A roster full of players who were not recruited for those systems.
That excuse is way overplayed. They're football players, not jigsaw puzzle pieces.

Tanner Lee was the only player on the team last year that would not have the skillset to fit anywhere on this team.

a harmful expectation
'Harmful' to who?
hmm.gif

I totally agree with you. I'm not trying to communicate any type of pessimism but these boards have a strong history of gradually drinking the kool-aid to a point we have set expectations that only our very best efforts can reach. It would be nice to neutralize those expectations and give us a chance to feel like we exceeded them. I mean......wow. We have posters already saying 10-2 is a minimum acceptable record next year.

If this team goes 9-3 and people bitch about it, I will be very disappointed. Not surprised, just disappointed.

09/01 Akron w
09/08 Colorado w
09/15 Troy w
09/22 @Michigan
09/29 Purdue w
10/06 @Wisconsin
10/13 @Northwestern w
10/20 Minnesota w
11/03 @Ohio State
11/10 Illinois w
11/17 Michigan State w I think that MSU is going to have a tough year.
11/23 @Iowa w It's Iowa, Nebraska shouldn't be losing to the ditchchickens.

I don't think we lose more than one of the listed wins, and we may beat MICH, WISC, or OSU.

I think we finish with 9 wins in the regular season. I'd gladly trade MSU and WISC.
I agree 9 wins is very possible and it may be good enough to win the west. Depends upon Iowa and Wisconsin schedule.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back