• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Muddling In The Middle

Husker Eponymous

Scout Team
10 Year Member
If you are a hardcore NU basketball fan, Miles is doing exactly what you don't want him to: Muddling in the middle of the pack.

As I stated a month or two again, the worst case scenerio for Nebraska basketball this year is not near the top of the B1G (to prove Miles is the man), and not at the bottom (to get him fired), but "muddling in the middle" like NU is doing now.

If this keeps up, it will be interesting what ADSE decides with his contract in the offseason, and I'm sure supporters and detractors will have plenty to holler about...

"but they're young" (as if a young team can't win until they are all seniors)
We have heard excuse after excuse through the years. Remember when the new practice facility and state of the art arena was the problem? Young team excuse has been used a few teams through the years also

No one could have realistically expected coming in to this year to have wins at Maryland, at Indiana prior to injuries and against Purdue. I know we've had bad losses, but those were expected. We will probably finish higher in conference that expected. But I don't think we are "middling" we are still in the bottom. But there is not reason to fire yet. 2-3 more years. Just isn't worth it to start over yet. If he can keep the young players here (been a problem) then I think we can be NCAA tourney team next year and the year after for sure.

And who knows, if we can get seeded right in the Big 10 tourney this year, meaning play only the top teams, we may win the tourney and get into the NCAA's ;)

No one could have realistically expected coming in to this year to have wins at Maryland, at Indiana prior to injuries and against Purdue. I know we've had bad losses, but those were expected. We will probably finish higher in conference that expected. But I don't think we are "middling" we are still in the bottom. But there is not reason to fire yet. 2-3 more years. Just isn't worth it to start over yet. If he can keep the young players here (been a problem) then I think we can be NCAA tourney team next year and the year after for sure.
I'd say that some obvious and tangible progress needs to be shown next year.

I don't think it would be a good move at all to fire Miles this season. That's a very legitimate roster he's put together and it's just not worth the risk blowing it up at this point. At least not yet.

Miles has to produce Next year though. There should be absolutely no excuses next year. It's win or get out.

And who knows, if we can get seeded right in the Big 10 tourney this year, meaning play only the top teams, we may win the tourney and get into the NCAA's ;)

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Of course, we'll see how things fair against Wisconsin next week.

I don't think it would be a good move at all to fire Miles this season. That's a very legitimate roster he's put together and it's just not worth the risk blowing it up at this point. At least not yet.

Miles has to produce Next year though. There should be absolutely no excuses next year. It's win or get out.

Thats debatable. That "legitimate roster" hes put together may end up with a losing record and no post season, again. Is that legitimate???

Thats debatable. That "legitimate roster" hes put together may end up with a losing record and no post season, again. Is that legitimate???

They lost their best player right before school started. They lost a rotation guard early in the season. Their best post player has been out since their 3-0 conference start. They have 3 true freshman in their rotation. Also, as if that weren't enough, they also have played one of the toughest, if not the toughest, schedules in the country.

I don't think you can just look at a record and gauge talent, at least not without context.

Here is your roster next year...

Watson
Palmer
Horne
Roby
McVeigh
Jacobson
Morrow
Copeland
Gill
Taylor
Jordy
Akenten

What don't you like about this roster? When is the last Nebraska team to have this kind of talent?

I question Miles' coaching, too. This current team, even given some of the circumstances, should be playing better.

If Eichorst has a ringer in his back pocket, by all means, ice him. But to blow up the most talented Nebraska roster is 15 years, this guy better not just be another typical NU basketball hire. If it is, we will never know what next year could have been. Might be nothing due to poor coaching, we don't know. Miles and his staff have worked their tails off to get this roster and I think they should get one year to see what they can do.

They lost their best player right before school started. They lost a rotation guard early in the season. Their best post player has been out since their 3-0 conference start. They have 3 true freshman in their rotation. Also, as if that weren't enough, they also have played one of the toughest, if not the toughest, schedules in the country.

I don't think you can just look at a record and gauge talent, at least not without context.

Here is your roster next year...

Watson
Palmer
Horne
Roby
McVeigh
Jacobson
Morrow
Copeland
Gill
Taylor
Jordy
Akenten

What don't you like about this roster? When is the last Nebraska team to have this kind of talent?
Don't forget Jordy Tshimanga!!

Agree. I think 7 years is fair. 3 or 4 or 5 probably just isn't enough to give a guy a full opportunity at Nebraska...plus you have to show the next guy that you'll give him adequate time.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back