• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Martinez or Gebbia?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date

Who do you like to win the starting QB job?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think Gebbia will likely start the first game but that Verduzco/Frost will decide to go with Martinez. How this happens I cannot predict, but perhaps an ugly early loss where we needed more running from the quarterback, or perhaps Gebbia gets injured after taking his introductory live hits from Big Ten linebackers. I hope I'm wrong as everything I read and see about Gebbia makes me pleased that he is on the team as he carries himself well and appears to be a good man.

All I know is from what I seen in the spring game, our qbs can't be tackled in a game like atmosphere. I dare any of you to show me video proof where even one of our QBs get tackled! These guys are all studs!

This is going to be such a fun year. 3 Qbs that are un-tackleable!

Well, I think Gebbia will likely start the first game but that Verduzco/Frost will decide to go with Martinez. How this happens I cannot predict, but perhaps an ugly early loss where we needed more running from the quarterback, or perhaps Gebbia gets injured after taking his introductory live hits from Big Ten linebackers. I hope I'm wrong as everything I read and see about Gebbia makes me pleased that he is on the team as he carries himself well and appears to be a good man.

Then why not just go with Martinez in game one?

People need to remember that TG ran a spread offense in high school. And he is no longer 185lbs so while not AM size he is bigger than the QB that ran SF's offense last season. One thing I feel strongly about is if AM becomes the starter and is at the end of the year, TG will transfer next year.

C

Weatherman, because without live action, the coaches don't really know how these guys will perform. So I'm thinking that actually seeing them in game action, the coaches will see the "writing on the wall" and go with Martinez after giving the initial nod to the more-experienced Gebbia.

People need to remember that TG ran a spread offense in high school. And he is no longer 185lbs so while not AM size he is bigger than the QB that ran SF's offense last season. One thing I feel strongly about is if AM becomes the starter and is at the end of the year, TG will transfer next year.

C
With certainty Gebbia would transfer. This will all be up to Martinez's shoulder being full strength. I have a feeling whoever starts the season may not be the starter against Iowa.

Weatherman, because without live action, the coaches don't really know how these guys will perform. So I'm thinking that actually seeing them in game action, the coaches will see the "writing on the wall" and go with Martinez after giving the initial nod to the more-experienced Gebbia.

How is Gebbia more experienced?

With certainty Gebbia would transfer. This will all be up to Martinez's shoulder being full strength. I have a feeling whoever starts the season may not be the starter against Iowa.

It is a long season and many things change over the course. I do feel if TG can process faster and make better decisions he will hold off AM even with a healthy shoulder. At least based on what SF and MV have said about QB's.

C

I chose Martinez only because he appeared more mobile in the Spring game but I will accept whomever Verduzco and Frost choose. Agree with *** that whomever starts probably won't be starting by Iowa, mainly because of injuries!

Do you have the same level of certainty that Martinez would transfer if Gebbia gets and holds onto the starting gig?

It is a long season and many things change over the course. I do feel if TG can process faster and make better decisions he will hold off AM even with a healthy shoulder. At least based on what SF and MV have said about QB's.

C
Possibly. Martinez ran this offense in high school while Gebbia was more air-raid Mike Leach type offense. Martinez in my opinion has a way higher ceiling, but Gebbia is doing everything to be the guy against Akron.

Possibly. Martinez ran this offense in high school while Gebbia was more air-raid Mike Leach type offense. Martinez in my opinion has a way higher ceiling, but Gebbia is doing everything to be the guy against Akron.

Agree, going to be fun to watch how it all unfolds.

C

They don't know either more than other.

How is one more ready than the other?

I suppose Martinez is more ready, since he actually played last season in a system suitable to what's at NU.

EdIt: Nevermind, I forgot AM was hurt his senior year.

In other words, both quarterbacks are over a year removed from playing an actual game.
I would hope that after 45 practices they will know which is better as of 9/1

At Big 10 media days, SF said that he has two talented QBs. I am sure he was talking about Gebbia and Martinez, so this poll is appropriate.

People can talk about work ethic, film room study, unselfish community service, and being a leader on and off the field. But when push comes to shove, it is talent that is going to give us the best chance to win the West.

I think talent will be the primary factor that determines who starts. We know it was talent that drew SF to Martinez. He has since discovered that AM is smart, mature, confident and that he can lead. But Gebbia has the same intangible qualities as AM and he is exceptionally talented as well.

If Gebbia becomes the starter, I think his talent will be the primary deciding factor. And if his talent is equal to or better than AM's, then he will surely be an outstanding QB for us.

So far, AM's talent has impressed me more than Gebbia's, but Gebbia definitely has lots of talent. But my impression doesn't count...MV's and SF's do. In addition, coaches will talk to players to see what they think. The players will have some say in this as well.

Whatever happens, I will always remember with fondness the Nick Nolte moment AM gave me during the spring game. It was a pleasant surprise for me. I felt as though I had seen NU's TOAT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back