1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Bell

Discussion in 'Football' started by Babbalanja, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Middle-aged_Ball_Coach

Middle-aged_Ball_Coach Recruit

The color is spelled with one "l" and I do think that that was how it should have been spelled. The town got its name very early though, and a lot of American spellings hadn't been standardized yet. If you ever want to feel better about your spelling, get a hold of William Clark's writings in his journal for the Lewis & Clark expedition, which was the same time when the town got its name. Clark spells "mosquitoes" four different ways on two facing pages while trying to explain how bad they were in the heat of summer in central Missouri. He would use different spellings for other things in the same paragraph, sometimes the same sentence. It was shortly after that when Noah Webster's American Dictionary began to be viewed as the standardized spellings, but that was too late for Vermillion, SD.

solesrfr likes this.
  2. Middle-aged_Ball_Coach

Trust me: NOBODY is talking about the Toreros ... not even the Harbaugh family.

solesrfr likes this.
  3. Middle-aged_Ball_Coach

YES!!! I planned to go there eventually. Also, try and tell Gamecock fans that "USC" is some school in Los Angeles. I suspect that Ohio State decided to be "the" because OSU is also claimed by Okie State and those pesky Beavers.

solesrfr likes this.
  4. Middle-aged_Ball_Coach

You don't mean Nebraska, do you? That would be scarlet & cream.

5. huskon4ever!

huskon4ever! Scout Team 10 Year Member

Adam might be, never met him, but his dad is something else... hunted with the guy many times... not a fan is all I will say.

6. CO4NU

CO4NU Scout Team 5 Year Member

USC...."Nobody beats our Cocks"!

Actually saw that on a banner there one time.

That would also be a very interesting matchup for Vegas.

USC vs. USC.....would the Trojans be able to cover the Co#$*'s?

Sorry.....

7. solesrfr

solesrfr Travel Squad 5 Year Member

Welcome to the off-season. :thumbsup:

C

denisonred likes this.
  8. One Hit Wonder

One Hit Wonder Recruit

"Nu" is the 13th letter of the Greek alphabet. Or perhaps "NU" is a reference to one of the universities listed below. That's all I got.

Naropa University
    National University
    Neumann University
    Neumont University
    Newman University
    Niagara University
    Northwest University
    Northwestern University
    Northwood University
    Northeastern University

9. Middle-aged_Ball_Coach

I never met his dad, and fwiw the grandfather was him maternal grandfather.

10. Middle-aged_Ball_Coach

We went to the homerun derby before the CWS around 2000 or 2001, and South Carolina had made it to the CWS, so a lot of their fans were there. My buddy and I were sitting in shallow left field, hoping to catch some home runs, but there was a large group of very attractive, mid-30s to early-40s women sitting just to our right in the corner. They were from South Carolina. I've rarely met such classy, sweet, pretty, charming women in my life, and it was morally confusing because they would slyly look us in the eye, wink, smile, and say, without blushing, things along the lines of "You can't lick our 'Cocks." They must have had a hundred different takes on using that word in some way that was a double entendre, and I've rarely laughed so much in my life. I didn't know if I should marry one of them or run for my life before it was too late. It was an unforgettable evening.

huskon4ever!, CO4NU and KleinTxHusker like this.
  11. anotherdumbprediction

anotherdumbprediction Recruit

If they were women with ‘cocks, I think I wouldn’t have hesitated to run.

ColombianHusker and Frosty1980 like this.
  12. BleedinHuskerRed

BleedinHuskerRed Red Shirt 5 Year Member

Dangit

13. BuffSurveyor

BuffSurveyor All Big 10 10 Year Member

I wonder if the Cocks regularly cover the spread over the last few seasons?

14. KleinTxHusker

KleinTxHusker Starter 10 Year Member

Let's just say I was partially cured of being a spelling snob by a company VP who said - upon hearing me ridicule an IT guy (I was about to flame) for spelling (confusing) cursor as curser - "Klein, Will Rodgers said 'I feel sorry for a man who can spell a word only one way!'" I never thought that VP liked me too much after that, but fortunately I did not flame the IT guy, which would have probably would have been even worse for my career.

Funny, do you think either of us would be able to maintain our spelling if we were doing the things William Clark did? Would it be important? Somehow, I thought after reading excerpts of John Wesley Powell's Colorado Expedition that he wasn't well educated (very wrong). I also find it amusing that academics have to explain when quoting Puritan writings that they were well educated. Apparently, people today assume that our level of language standardization and instruction has always existed. Even the whole Normal School concept is relatively recent, not to mention universal High School. Both concepts are between the life times of Clark & Powell!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  15. joncarl

joncarl Nobody important 10 Year Member

That looks like a pile of paprika.