• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Greg Bell

Wikipedia also said the color sometimes is spelled with two l's; and I have always understood the name to be a reference to the color.
The color is spelled with one "l" and I do think that that was how it should have been spelled. The town got its name very early though, and a lot of American spellings hadn't been standardized yet. If you ever want to feel better about your spelling, get a hold of William Clark's writings in his journal for the Lewis & Clark expedition, which was the same time when the town got its name. Clark spells "mosquitoes" four different ways on two facing pages while trying to explain how bad they were in the heat of summer in central Missouri. He would use different spellings for other things in the same paragraph, sometimes the same sentence. It was shortly after that when Noah Webster's American Dictionary began to be viewed as the standardized spellings, but that was too late for Vermillion, SD.

Why are people talking about the Toreros? :eek:

5a56f774b0a59d3decd82d2dfa58ef5e.jpg

C
Trust me: NOBODY is talking about the Toreros ... not even the Harbaugh family.

Ok since we are literally so far off topic will someone explain to me who NU is?
YES!!! I planned to go there eventually. Also, try and tell Gamecock fans that "USC" is some school in Los Angeles. I suspect that Ohio State decided to be "the" because OSU is also claimed by Okie State and those pesky Beavers.

Stanford? That's your measure for acclaim? Fwiw, Nebraska is 0-1 against Stanford all time, so ... thanks for bringing that up.

Have the Aztecs produced the world's all-time best clutch field goal kicker?
1*8h-EA5xJXlPSF7EzWlY00Q.jpeg

Fwiw, Vinatieri is a world-class human being. My mom worked at the nursing home where his grandfather spent the last several years of his life. Vinatieri came to visit all of the time, and he always had time for nurses' aids requests for autographs, etc. He grew up by Yankton, near where I grew up.

Adam might be, never met him, but his dad is something else... hunted with the guy many times... not a fan is all I will say.

Ok since we are literally so far off topic will someone explain to me who NU is?

"Nu" is the 13th letter of the Greek alphabet. Or perhaps "NU" is a reference to one of the universities listed below. That's all I got.

Naropa University
National University
Neumann University
Neumont University
Newman University
Niagara University
Northwest University
Northwestern University
Northwood University
Northeastern University

USC...."Nobody beats our Cocks"!

Actually saw that on a banner there one time.

That would also be a very interesting matchup for Vegas.

USC vs. USC.....would the Trojans be able to cover the Co#$*'s?

Sorry.....
We went to the homerun derby before the CWS around 2000 or 2001, and South Carolina had made it to the CWS, so a lot of their fans were there. My buddy and I were sitting in shallow left field, hoping to catch some home runs, but there was a large group of very attractive, mid-30s to early-40s women sitting just to our right in the corner. They were from South Carolina. I've rarely met such classy, sweet, pretty, charming women in my life, and it was morally confusing because they would slyly look us in the eye, wink, smile, and say, without blushing, things along the lines of "You can't lick our 'Cocks." They must have had a hundred different takes on using that word in some way that was a double entendre, and I've rarely laughed so much in my life. I didn't know if I should marry one of them or run for my life before it was too late. It was an unforgettable evening.

We went to the homerun derby before the CWS around 2000 or 2001, and South Carolina had made it to the CWS, so a lot of their fans were there. My buddy and I were sitting in shallow left field, hoping to catch some home runs, but there was a large group of very attractive, mid-30s to early-40s women sitting just to our right in the corner. They were from South Carolina. I've rarely met such classy, sweet, pretty, charming women in my life, and it was morally confusing because they would slyly look us in the eye, wink, smile, and say, without blushing, things along the lines of "You can't lick our 'Cocks." They must have had a hundred different takes on using that word in some way that was a double entendre, and I've rarely laughed so much in my life. I didn't know if I should marry one of them or run for my life before it was too late. It was an unforgettable evening.
If they were women with ‘cocks, I think I wouldn’t have hesitated to run.

The color is spelled with one "l" and I do think that that was how it should have been spelled. The town got its name very early though, and a lot of American spellings hadn't been standardized yet. If you ever want to feel better about your spelling, get a hold of William Clark's writings in his journal for the Lewis & Clark expedition, which was the same time when the town got its name. Clark spells "mosquitoes" four different ways on two facing pages while trying to explain how bad they were in the heat of summer in central Missouri. He would use different spellings for other things in the same paragraph, sometimes the same sentence. It was shortly after that when Noah Webster's American Dictionary began to be viewed as the standardized spellings, but that was too late for Vermillion, SD.
Let's just say I was partially cured of being a spelling snob by a company VP who said - upon hearing me ridicule an IT guy (I was about to flame) for spelling (confusing) cursor as curser - "Klein, Will Rodgers said 'I feel sorry for a man who can spell a word only one way!'" I never thought that VP liked me too much after that, but fortunately I did not flame the IT guy, which would have probably would have been even worse for my career.

Funny, do you think either of us would be able to maintain our spelling if we were doing the things William Clark did? Would it be important? Somehow, I thought after reading excerpts of John Wesley Powell's Colorado Expedition that he wasn't well educated (very wrong). I also find it amusing that academics have to explain when quoting Puritan writings that they were well educated. Apparently, people today assume that our level of language standardization and instruction has always existed. Even the whole Normal School concept is relatively recent, not to mention universal High School. Both concepts are between the life times of Clark & Powell!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back