• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 4 Star QB Tyler Shough UOV to Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think he will get an offer from Huskers. Then you could have him and Yankoff as '18 class QBs and if you get Tanner McKee to sign and start school in '20 after his mission, it would be sweet!

Exactly what I said. The kid's feet are often too active, even when he is locking into his first progression.
Interesting, not sure i've ever heard a coach complain that his QBs feet are "too active." They are taught to have a "quiet upper body" (no patting of the ball or moving it away from the body when avoiding the rush) and "active lower body" to keep them moving (or some variation of those) because the pocket many times is changing as the rush or blitz develops. Stationary feet would make it so you can't move within the pocket and cause more sacks as you would have to get them moving instead of them already moving. It's why when you watch Tom Brady do his drop back, if he doesn't throw it right away he hops until he does. Here's a couple scouting reports for the upcoming draft to show that essentially it's a positive to have active feet, and graded as a negative if you don't keep them moving:

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Patrick-Mahomes.asp
Now let's have a look at the areas that worry me. As I mentioned earlier, the system at Texas Tech is extremely simple. The only time he has ever lined up under center is on an occasional quarterback sneak. On half of his pass plays he doesn't even drop back, instead just catching the snap and throwing. Because of this, his footwork is atrocious. His feet are often planted and that turns him into a statue. He has no idea how to maneuver in a pocket or how to do anything but retreat backward when a rusher gets loose. Keeping your feet active is essential to being able to avoid the rush and moving around within the pocket. Active feet also make it possible for a player to always throw from an ideal platform. That is an area where Mahomes may be one of the worst in the country.

California
Quarterback #7
Senior, 6’5″ 230
-Looks comfortable in the pocket with active feet to slide and adjust
http://thedraftster.com/nfl-draft-scouting-report-davis-webb/

Now... if you saw this and said his feet are "too active" I would agree but change that to "his pocket presence is not great."

Last edited:

Me thinks that GFOA is only a "Fan " because he never played the game and doesn't understand the nuances involved in playing or coaching. Not sure why he claims to be "Greatest" when he could learn something about why QB's are taught to move their feet, and he refutes it, instead of thinking , "oh, so that's why they do that." That might make him a "Greater Fan", as he could really learn something instead of just thinking he already knows everything.

Last edited:
Me thinks that GFOA is only a "Fan " because he never played the game and doesn't understand the nuances involved in playing or coaching. Not sure why he claims to be "Greatest" when he could learn something about why QB's are taught to move their feet, and he refutes it, instead of thinking , "oh, so that's why they do that." That might make him a "Greater Fan", as he could really learn something instead of just thinking he already knows everything.

I have no issue with you disagreeing with him but let's not make it personal. Not to mention it turns threads into wee-weeping contests and the original point gets lost

RR

Interesting, not sure i've ever heard a coach complain that his QBs feet are "too active." They are taught to have a "quiet upper body" (no patting of the ball or moving it away from the body when avoiding the rush) and "active lower body" to keep them moving (or some variation of those) because the pocket many times is changing as the rush or blitz develops. Stationary feet would make it so you can't move within the pocket and cause more sacks as you would have to get them moving instead of them already moving. It's why when you watch Tom Brady do his drop back, if he doesn't throw it right away he hops until he does. Here's a couple scouting reports for the upcoming draft to show that essentially it's a positive to have active feet, and graded as a negative if you don't keep them moving:

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Patrick-Mahomes.asp
Now let's have a look at the areas that worry me. As I mentioned earlier, the system at Texas Tech is extremely simple. The only time he has ever lined up under center is on an occasional quarterback sneak. On half of his pass plays he doesn't even drop back, instead just catching the snap and throwing. Because of this, his footwork is atrocious. His feet are often planted and that turns him into a statue. He has no idea how to maneuver in a pocket or how to do anything but retreat backward when a rusher gets loose. Keeping your feet active is essential to being able to avoid the rush and moving around within the pocket. Active feet also make it possible for a player to always throw from an ideal platform. That is an area where Mahomes may be one of the worst in the country.

California
Quarterback #7
Senior, 6’5″ 230
-Looks comfortable in the pocket with active feet to slide and adjust
http://thedraftster.com/nfl-draft-scouting-report-davis-webb/

Now... if you saw this and said his feet are "too active" I would agree but change that to "his pocket presence is not great."

Quit wasting my time by now trying to sell yourself as a QB expert. You also again failed to read my post which do not say that a QB's feet shouldn't be active but instead pointed out that this particular "kid's feet are often too active." And, they are. If you'd like to learn something about QB training, the following article, which explains three different theories on pocket footwork, might help you out:

https://www.xandolabs.com/index.php...b-pocket-presence&catid=99:offense&Itemid=163
Maddox said that “Pocket footwork should sync with the rhythm of route breaks and the timeline available based on defensive pressure and coverage. Fast erratic foot fire = fast erratic decision making.

Last edited:

Let's not hold our breath :Cautious:

Quit wasting my time by now trying to sell yourself as a QB expert. You also again failed to read my post which do not say that a QB's feet shouldn't be active but instead pointed out that this particular "kid's feet are often too active." And, they are. If you'd like to learn something about QB training, the following article, which explains three different theories on pocket footwork, might help you out:
As I stated originally.
His may be more pronounced but if you watch in practice you will see all QBs doing this to some degree. His coaches may have him exaggerating it because he has had to work on it.

Often if a player is exaggerating something it is because the coaches want him to focus on it. For example if you are a RB who has issues picking up your feet. Coaches may have you run exaggerating lifting your knees so that you get used to running that way. This creates a temporary situation where you look a little silly. However after a while it becomes natural and less pronounced.

Just stop and admit your "too active of feet" comment was unintelligent, your hole is pretty deep as it is. I am not selling myself as a QB expert, only relaying information that even the most remedial of football fans would understand as positives (and experts such as NFL scouts stating active feet as a positive and inactive feet as a negative). Also, did you see the most seldom used technique taught from your link is the "quiet feet approach" where they try to reduce movement. "These coaches either want their QBs to barely hop or not move at all." Again, the least taught and I could only assume it's because it's looked at as a negative by NFL scouts.

By the way, your article you linked showed about 10 drills where the QB chops and shuffles around cones and bags, exactly what Tyler Shough is doing while finding his receiver down field. Here's one of them from the article you linked:

I mean... did you post that article to help solidify what myself and others were telling you that a QBs feet needs to stay active?

Last edited:

I am not selling myself as a QB expert, only relaying information that even the most remedial of football fans would understand as positives (and experts such as NFL scouts stating active feet as a positive and inactive feet as a negative).
Perhaps, your Husker Max screen name should be changed from ShortSideOption to PocketPresencePasser? Just a thought...

I screwed up the feet debate in my mind, as originally I thought it was *** that described Shough with penguin feet (Happy Feet). The *** critique was the only reason I watched the video, as I don't fancy myself or many on the board as talent evaluators. I then commented on the circle to help me ID the QB and how amazing that was.

My thoughts on the QB feet were, "Don't seem so bad to me...but, will let this observation go".

Now, I come back to the thread and ***, was actually saying his feet okay. And I am proud to now be elevated to remedial status ( in my own mind) in the subsequent discussion!

only relaying information that even the most remedial of football fans would understand as positives

To me, "happy feet" is something a QB has when he is trying to sit in pocket and is fighting the urge to take off running. He's moving, but not progressing through reads, or even really looking to pass at all, just wants to find an alley to run, but with the ball up by his shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back