• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Bo doing a little flirting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By adjusting you mean firing Coaches who bleed Nebraska Red as much as the head coach? Then yes I was not pleased by how Frank did this.

Nelson Barnes bled Nebraska Red as much as Frank? Really?

Look, we fired Bohl and Darlington, and I don't like that that happened. However, both landed on their feet, and it's impossible to argue that we didn't upgrade at those positions by hiring Pelini and Sanders, respectively.

An upgrade at HC was clearly not the result of firing Frank.

By adjusting you mean firing Coaches who bleed Nebraska Red as much as the head coach? Then yes I was not pleased by how Frank did this.

How do you replace people that have retired on the job, no matter how well they did in the past and how much you like them?
I was heartened with the fact that Frank hired a decent, exciting, competent replacements that were almost all former players. A second guard, if you will.

Not too many folks seem to get too worked up about Darlington being fired, in spite of the success he had at NU. I can understand to a point folks getting upset about Milt and Dan getting canned because of the tremendous success they had for 20+ years. But you would think the recruitniks that preside around here could recognize and understand they weren't travelling and were barely mobile at practice.

Point of fact, Milt and Dan weren't fired... they did actually retire. Later, it would come out that Milt "wanted to stay and try to turn things around" but just a year before, he'd said he was retiring. There was actually a lot of back and forth by Milt during that time. Frank actually gave him an opportunity to be part of the transition by shifting him to OLB, but he refused. I guess some think Solich should have let Milt hang on as long as he wanted and in exactly the position he wanted.

If Milt was asked to leave in order to make room for younger coaches who were more capable of doing things like recruit, I feel bad for him that he didn't go out on his own terms, but I also don't think NU should suffer so a single assistant can "spend another year or two" in hopes of going out on a happier note.

Not too many folks seem to get too worked up about Darlington being fired, in spite of the success he had at NU. I can understand to a point folks getting upset about Milt and Dan getting canned because of the tremendous success they had for 20+ years. But you would think the recruitniks that preside around here could recognize and understand they weren't travelling and were barely mobile at practice.

Just letting it known why I did not cry too hard when Frank was let go, and Buck I look up to you on here so I'm sorry that you think so lowly of me, now to CM I don't give a rat's asp what he thinks of me!

An upgrade at HC was clearly not the result of firing Frank.

Something seemingly lost on some folks. Shoot, I guess after the '02 season, Frank should have retired because he was only winning 74% of the time, so Bill Byrne could have hired a failed NFL coach. I wonder who was available. Norv Turner?

How do you replace people that have retired on the job, no matter how well they did in the past and how much you like them?
I was heartened with the fact that Frank hired a decent, exciting, competent replacements that were almost all former players. A second guard, if you will.

And I felt badly for all of them when they were unjustly fired by Peddy!

That's exactly how I saw it. I was never impressed with Cally as a coach, easecially after that first season. Then all the pathetic chest pounding from his butt boys after the next two seasons was laughable considering that type of performance by Solich was inexcusable.

My hopes were pinned on getting rid of Pedey, and bringing in an honest evaluator to deem the worthiness of our coaching staff. Those hopes were pretty much squashed when Pearlman handed out unearned extensions to Pedey & Cally.

Even though I was expecting another collapse in '07, how things transpired was incredible. As far as firing Cally, I was ok if Osborne decided to give him more time because I knew the decision was made by an honest broker. I'm not convinced that he would have fired Cally if we'd have beaten CU in the last game.

Nice post, UB. You were much more tolerant of Billy's existence than I ever was. While the corps may be correct regarding HiO's Callahan firing timetable, I was against his being hired from day one...Jan '04. Nobody, except the Peder, would have put himself in the position of having to hire a used-up, on the street, ex-NFL coach into a program like NU's. First and foremost, the HFC job actually being open was a farce. The fact that a 9 win coach was let go based on a corrupt AD's sense of "mediocrity drift" insured that even 3rd rate college coaches like Nutt would spurn an offer. Add the fact that about 4 weeks into the "wow hire process" it was so patently obvious that NU was scraping the bottom of the barrel, the only thing left to many of us was the comedic relief the search provided. And, we got what we deserved, or should I say "he" deserved. Proof of Steve's resultant miscast...only a know-nothing like Callahan could turn a 10 win team into a losing team in year 1, and never REALLY get much better...

Just letting it known why I did not cry too hard when Frank was let go, and Buck I look up to you on here so I'm sorry that you think so lowly of me, now to CM I don't give a rat's asp what he thinks of me!

I don't think lowly of you. Just trying to bring some reasoning in to your normally logical thought process. I get your point, just saying you're wrong headed on this. Head Coaches have never quit just because their assistants couldn't get the job done anymore. That's the situation we found ourselves in in the early years of this decade. Milt was a prideful man, with good reason. He thought he could turn things around if given just one more year. I'm thinking he wouldn't have done as well as his replacement.

Of course you can separate the two. ALl you have to do is...DO IT.

1. Was firing solich right or wrong? The "who you hire" is irrelevant to the question. Either he should have had more time or he shouldn't.

2. Once Solich was fired was hiring callahan right or wrong? Again, WHY the opening existed in the first place becomes rather irrelevant. It was done and now you need a coach. Was the coach hired the right guy or not?

It's quite possible to believe that firing solich was the RIGHT thing and look back and say "but what happened after that was an abortion". the other three combinations of answers are also quite possible.

This whole "you're a simpleton" garbage if you don't feel like Solich was a wonderful coach is just...well...garbage. And saying anyone who doesn't think Solich was the next coming of Tom Osborne is, by default, a callahan lover is also crap.

There's another possibility of course. It can have been stupid to fire Solich not because he was the "next coming of Tom Osborne" but because he was simply pretty good and had just done some good fixes, but mostly because firing a 10-3 coach is a good way of stepping into the abyss, perhaps never to return.

Because as I know you realize, Bilsker, like a lot of the posters who I think are the amont the more knowledgeable on here do, (but Pederson didn't): Nebraska is not God's gift to the college coaching profession. We don't automatically get the be best coaches.

Point of fact, Milt and Dan weren't fired... they did actually retire. Later, it would come out that Milt "wanted to stay and try to turn things around" but just a year before, he'd said he was retiring. There was actually a lot of back and forth by Milt during that time. Frank actually gave him an opportunity to be part of the transition by shifting him to OLB, but he refused. I guess some think Solich should have let Milt hang on as long as he wanted and in exactly the position he wanted.

If Milt was asked to leave in order to make room for younger coaches who were more capable of doing things like recruit, I feel bad for him that he didn't go out on his own terms, but I also don't think NU should suffer so a single assistant can "spend another year or two" in hopes of going out on a happier note.

Frank was pretty tolerant and defferential to Tom's coaching staff. Let's not forget the contingency of 20/20 hindsight Husker fans that make the claim Frank should have made sweeping changes in the staff following the '01 season and the loss in the MNC game.

Just letting it known why I did not cry too hard when Frank was let go,

I will say, at the time, I wasn't happy about Frank getting fired, but held out hope that SP would be smart enough to hire from within, and keep that amazing staff together.

I don't think lowly of you. Just trying to bring some reasoning in to your normally logical thought process. I get your point, just saying you're wrong headed on this. Head Coaches have never quit just because their assistants couldn't get the job done anymore. That's the situation we found ourselves in in the early years of this decade. Milt was a prideful man, with good reason. He thought he could turn things around if given just one more year. I'm thinking he wouldn't have done as well as his replacement.

Since some on here know that I have said on here before that I was not a Frank fan, I just wanted to explain why!
I did not like how Frank got his new staff, but when he did get them I still wanted them to do good and that how Peddy fired them was wrong! And Softcharger, too bad I could not see Cally for what he was as fast as you did, I wanted him to work out but as bad as he was glad that he and his boss are gone!

I will say, at the time, I wasn't happy about Frank getting fired, but held out hope that SP would be smart enough to hire from within, and keep that amazing staff together.

good point! and I felt the same way. Even though I still had my doubts on Frank, he did put together an amazing staff!

My point was that many posters were for the firing callllllllly before '07, as long as a number of other things happened, too.

Who were the posters that wanted Callahan fired before the 07 season? You certainly weren't one of them.

As far as Solich's 16-12 mark, it's clear why that's used. That's the stretch that convinced me he was not the right man for the job. It was NOT the first 11 wins of the 2001 season, it were the last 2 blowout losses of 2001 and beyond.

We can rehash this 50 times in the next 3 months, and no one's mind is going to be changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back