• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers vs Terrapins - B10 Tourney - Game #12 - 5-27-23 - Saturday @1pm Ctrl - 1st of 2 Must Wins! @Omaha

Bats went silent all tournament with the exception of Max. Still I was very happy with how they competed. The team didn’t always compete throughout the year.

I feel we grossly underperformed the talent on the team this year. The only positive was the tournament itself.

No doubt in my mind changes need to be made. I’m not sure what exactly, but things aren’t working.

Bats went silent all tournament with the exception of Max. Still I was very happy with how they competed. The team didn’t always compete throughout the year.

I feel we grossly underperformed the talent on the team this year. The only positive was the tournament itself.

No doubt in my mind changes need to be made. I’m not sure what exactly, but things aren’t working.
Leadership, bona fide on-field talent that makes the players around them more confident and better too.

Sswanson was good and the others had decent seasons player position wise.

Catching Adequate.

Hitting…we almost always out hit opponents.

in my mind it was 3 things:

We did not “clutch hit” very well and left far too many men on base all year long. Ridiculous amounts….

Our pitching was just inconsistent as heck….and Bolt was always scrambling to find the right combo…ANY combo that was consistent.

Solid starters tended to absolutely “blow up” all of a sudden and Coach Bolt was waaaaay too reluctant to go to his pen…where he had absolutely no clue who would step up that day.

And finally, I believe this team got too invoved in the ”Husker Hype” and that they were obviously better than teams like South Dakota and would win just by showing up. They took these type of opponents for granted and FAR too lightly with horrible results.

Part of these problems is “just baseball”.

But many are entirely fixable.

Next year will be critical in deciding whether the current leadership is the right path.

Nebraska has the best facilities, best fans and supports baseball monetarily FAR in advance of ANY BiG school. It needs to be consistently demonstrated…that simple
Question for you because I am very concerned about the coaching after this year. The obvious being NUs performance in midweek games all season long but other examples abound. While I would be a fool to bash a player the caliber of Brice Matthews he was clearly a defensive liability (especially after the back issues flared up). Yes, he made several spectacular plays but if I’m correct he had way more than double the number of errors than number two on that list. Why not DH and reduce the strain/fatigue after the injury? Was he the best shortstop on the roster? Maybe, no way to know but I am baffled why he chose to swing at the first pitch in the ninth when he should have made the pitcher prove he could throw consistent strikes. With just one out, that decision makes zero sense. My goodness, you’ve got Max on deck. Striking out looking isn’t the worst thing in the world in that situation. That was either selfish baseball or poor coaching. Either way, that’s on the coaches.

Last edited:

9 times out of 10 when a team plays up and down, it is a direct reflection of the coaching! Doesn't matter which sport it is!

Bolt needs to make changes, or he will end up being the one replaced. He has next year for sure, maybe another 2 years, but that is it!

9 times out of 10 when a team plays up and down, it is a direct reflection of the coaching! Doesn't matter which sport it is!
No truer words….

what I think we have to be careful of is not jumping immediately. This was his fourth and really 3 1/2 years if you count the Covid year that canceled everything.

If you take a step back he’s Won a big 10 championship and that team was literally four outs from a super regional against the number one team in the country.

Second year was a bad year. There’s just no two ways around it.

This year was actually a huge improvement over last year!

One of the things that really builds a program for the future is stability and continuity.

Baseball, more than any other sport is going to have really ”down years”. And with all this NIL stuff and easy transfers, college sports is in an entire transition right now.

I am the very first to say with the amount of facilities, fanbase, support and funding that this program has, we should be better than what we are now.

But I also don’t want to put us into the same damn situation we got into by firing Frankie, and then Pellini. PROVEN winners. Hell Pellini had the 3rd highest win percentage in active Power Five coaches at that time…and we fired him! Just senseless. Sure he was irascible but he graduated kids like nobody’s business, put kids in the NFL, we never had NCAA issues and his players loved him and remain loyal to this day. And…he never lost more than 4 a year and took the Huskers to 3 Conference championships. Sounds pretty damn good compared to the last 6 years!

The challenge will be for Trev to decide the right path because I just don’t know.

We also have to remember that this is Will‘s first head coaching job.

Will he learn and adjust and make the right changes? Frost never did and we gave him five years. I saw some real adjustments that were made from last year‘s team.

I don’t envy Trev when he has to make these kinds of decisions.

At the same time, it is clear this team under performed given the talent they had.

That is on coaching and there’s no way to dance around that problem.

Last edited:

As far as the above article, I would like us to play much better teams in the preseason.
It's been mentioned before, but it's worth repeating.

Last edited:
Makes sense…hard for us midwest and northern schools to schedule really good competition which is basically southern and lower east coast and South PAC 12 without really large amounts of travel and expense.

Makes sense…hard for us midwest and northern schools to schedule really good competition which is basically southern and lower east coast and South PAC 12 without really large amounts of travel and expense.
I’d love to see Nebraska schedule Arkansas on a consistent basis. Unfortunate that Arkansas isn’t the talent rich West Coast or Deep South. A significant consideration when scheduling these pre conference series.

No truer words….

what I think we have to be careful of is not jumping immediately. This was his fourth and really 3 1/2 years if you count the Covid year that canceled everything.

If you take a step back he’s Won a big 10 championship and that team was literally four outs from a super regional against the number one team in the country.

Second year was a bad year. There’s just no two ways around it.

This year was actually a huge improvement over last year!

One of the things that really builds a program for the future is stability and continuity.

Baseball, more than any other sport is going to have really ”down years”. And with all this NIL stuff and easy transfers, college sports is in an entire transition right now.

I am the very first to say with the amount of facilities, fanbase, support and funding that this program has, we should be better than what we are now.

But I also don’t want to put us into the same damn situation we got into by firing Frankie, and then Pellini. PROVEN winners. Hell Pellini had the 3rd highest win percentage in active Power Five coaches at that time…and we fired him! Just senseless. Sure he was irascible but he graduated kids like nobody’s business, put kids in the NFL, we never had NCAA issues and his players loved him and remain loyal to this day. And…he never lost more than 4 a year and took the Huskers to 3 Conference championships. Sounds pretty damn good compared to the last 6 years!

The challenge will be for Trev to decide the right path because I just don’t know.

We also have to remember that this is Will‘s first head coaching job.

Will he learn and adjust and make the right changes? Frost never did and we gave him five years. I saw some real adjustments that were made from last year‘s team.

I don’t envy Trev when he has to make these kinds of decisions.

At the same time, it is clear this team under performed given the talent they had.

That is on coaching and there’s no way to dance around that problem.

Can’t disagree at all. This is where Bolt proves himself! Mike Anderson did the same thing Bolt did, when it was another guy’s players he made it to the World Series, after they left, he fell flat. Bolt needs to prove himself next year! Do NOT take a step backwards!

Last edited:
here is my position.. We need to upgrade our pitching... bad. We 100% have coaching issue to go along with that. We also need to upgrade out hitting!

We only have 3 batters over 300 and two others at 290ish. That is not going to get you far. Maryland on the other hand only has 2 starters hitting under .300.

Put Childress in charge of the pitching.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back