• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Harry Potter is boring AF

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Anyone else with me on this opinion? We started watching the movies with our kids who had been begging to see them now that they're old enough.

I'm yawning through this cheese fest. They're just... boring and predictable and shallow.

And this is coming from a guy who's a MAJOR fan of Tolkien and CS Lewis, so there's no shortage of magical fandom around here between Middle Earth and Narnia.

I just find Harry Potter totally insufferable.

Anyone else with me on this opinion? We started watching the movies with our kids who had been begging to see them now that they're old enough.

I'm yawning through this cheese fest. They're just... boring and predictable and shallow.

And this is coming from a guy who's a MAJOR fan of Tolkien and CS Lewis, so there's no shortage of magical fandom around here between Middle Earth and Narnia.

I agree. I've never watched the movies or read the books, so may be a tad uninformed

xT1XGzgkBT1IdfMbDi.gif

lol, its more targeted towards kids. kinda like when we all believed in santa. was magical then. now that were adults, its a pain in the butt and drains our bank accounts.

that said, if i have to choose between LOTR or HP. im watching LOTR on 105in screen with 7.1.6 sound.....

lol, its more targeted towards kids. kinda like when we all believed in santa. was magical then. now that were adults, its a pain in the butt and drains our bank accounts.

that said, if i have to choose between LOTR or HP. im watching LOTR on 105in screen with 7.1.6 sound.....

I will watch LOTR all day, any day.

I think it's because HP is a bunch of whiny kids running around a school and ducking teachers half the time. There's just not an epic scale to it. Apparently, Voldemort is the biggest, baddest wizard in the universe and... he attacks a school.

Compare that against Sauron using men's greed to manipulate them and start a multi-kingdom war. It just has a much grander scale. Throw Game of Thrones into that discussion for the same reasons.

I can watch adults and nations fight for power, but watching kids turn their classmates into spiders or whatever just doesn't make me feel like there's any danger or stakes to the whole adventure.

I think it's because HP is a bunch of whiny kids running around a school and ducking teachers half the time. There's just not an epic scale to it. Apparently, Voldemort is the biggest, baddest wizard in the universe and... he attacks a school.

Compare that against Sauron using men's greed to manipulate them and start a multi-kingdom war. It just has a much grander scale. Throw Game of Thrones into that discussion for the same reasons.

I can watch adults and nations fight for power, but watching kids turn their classmates into spiders or whatever just doesn't make me feel like there's any danger or stakes to the whole adventure.
hp themes are less heavy then more mature themes found in LOTR. simply put, its for kids, not and old fart like you.

hp themes are less heavy then more mature themes found in LOTR. simply put, its for kids, not and old fart like you.

Both my boys loved the books and the movies in their youth. I enjoyed going to the movies with them because it was such a big deal for them. They certainly weren't written with me in mind, but still managed to entertain.

How many of the movies have you seen? The first 2 are definitely much more of a kiddie type movies. From the 3rd movie onward they get a lot darker. I enjoyed the last 5 movies a lot and have stopped and watched some of them on TV on occasion. They really don't even show the first 2 on TV that much. As Crab says it is something I did with my kids when they were young and enjoyed doing it.

The ring trilogy is also a good bunch of movies. Is it overall much darker than HP yes it is, but they are definitely geared towards adults. HP books are tweener books and very readable. The books again once you get past the first 2 are darker in content and are way more detailed than the movies. Have you actually tried to read the ring trilogy. I have tried and couldn't get into it at all. My nephew says it is good if you can get past the first 400 or so pages.

I will freely admit that I am someone that is generally entertained by movies. It really has to be a bad movie for me to completely dislike it and think it was stupid. It's all just a matter of taste. I remember when The Return of the King came out and we went and saw it. Me and BIL took our kids to see it. He had not seen the other 2. He thought it was a completely stupid movie.

How many of the movies have you seen? The first 2 are definitely much more of a kiddie type movies. From the 3rd movie onward they get a lot darker. I enjoyed the last 5 movies a lot and have stopped and watched some of them on TV on occasion. They really don't even show the first 2 on TV that much. As Crab says it is something I did with my kids when they were young and enjoyed doing it.

The ring trilogy is also a good bunch of movies. Is it overall much darker than HP yes it is, but they are definitely geared towards adults. HP books are tweener books and very readable. The books again once you get past the first 2 are darker in content and are way more detailed than the movies. Have you actually tried to read the ring trilogy. I have tried and couldn't get into it at all. My nephew says it is good if you can get past the first 400 or so pages.

I will freely admit that I am someone that is generally entertained by movies. It really has to be a bad movie for me to completely dislike it and think it was stupid. It's all just a matter of taste. I remember when The Return of the King came out and we went and saw it. Me and BIL took our kids to see it. He had not seen the other 2. He thought it was a completely stupid movie.

I've seen every Harry Potter movie before. I thought they were throw-away fantasy flicks previously, but now I'm watching them again and they just seem so dumb.

The rule for me is whether I get up to grab a snack or pee during a film. Something like LOTR, I'll sit there for four hours and be totally captivated the whole time. During HP 4 (Goblet) I got up, made dinner for the family, came back, got up to pee, came back, left to fold laundry, came back, etc.

It just didn't hold my attention at all.

I've seen every Harry Potter movie before. I thought they were throw-away fantasy flicks previously, but now I'm watching them again and they just seem so dumb.

The rule for me is whether I get up to grab a snack or pee during a film. Something like LOTR, I'll sit there for four hours and be totally captivated the whole time. During HP 4 (Goblet) I got up, made dinner for the family, came back, got up to pee, came back, left to fold laundry, came back, etc.

And that is why everyone is entitled to their opinion. Many adults are not huge HP movie fans. Many adults are not huge LOTR fans either. I like them both. Even as bloated as the 3 Hobbit movies were they are entertaining though I wouldn't say they are great.

I guess I don't really compare HP and LOTR movies. They are completely different in my view. Goblet of Fire is probably my favorite of the HP movies.

HP is not LOTR that's for sure. Way different writers aiming for different audiences. That said, the LOTR movies do drag at plenty of places.

While I like CS Lewis, I think the HP books hold up better than the Narnia series.

When you get to book 4 and certainly book 5 of HP the adult themes really start to shine through. I think they are there in 1-3 but way more subtle.

GoT is LOTR level books, maybe better in certain aspects. The shows get markedly worse each season like some giant cliff diving experiment.

I've read quite a bit of fantasy/Sci-Fi/whatever other names it has. Most of that was in my younger years but I think HP holds up very well among the great series.

Whoa....whoa.....whoa......

What? :(

Crap.

HP it just a retelling of Star Wars.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back