• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Harry Potter is boring AF

Anyone else with me on this opinion? We started watching the movies with our kids who had been begging to see them now that they're old enough.

I'm yawning through this cheese fest. They're just... boring and predictable and shallow.

And this is coming from a guy who's a MAJOR fan of Tolkien and CS Lewis, so there's no shortage of magical fandom around here between Middle Earth and Narnia.

I just find Harry Potter totally insufferable.
I agree. I've never watched the movies or read the books, so may be a tad uninformed

As is typical with movies adapted from books, the books are much better.
And IMO Daniel Radcliffe is a terrible actor, so that doesn't help

We read the books before we saw the movies, that way our own imagination and interpretation takes precedent over the directors "vision" and forced perspective. The movies are OK at best, and are pale in comparison to the books. But yeah, HP is geared more towards children, so there was still some cheese in the books.

Last edited:

Bizarre to me that people are appraising the Harry Potter series, and mainly the discussion is about the mediocre movies, not the actual novels. It was the BOOKS that were the phenomenon, not the movies. The movies were just a way to cash in.
That's fair. I never read the books, but they were massive at the time.

That's fair. I never read the books, but they were massive at the time.
The novels created a resurgence in youth reading that very few other titles can rival. I’m struggling to come up with even one parallel. They created a genre. I very much doubt whether many on here are the target demographic, but I bet there are several who read the books to/with their kids at the time.

Bizarre to me that people are appraising the Harry Potter series, and mainly the discussion is about the mediocre movies, not the actual novels. It was the BOOKS that were the phenomenon, not the movies. The movies were just a way to cash in.

This is very true. The HP books basically created the tweener fantasy/sci-fi genre of books. I have read the first 3 books after I saw the movies first. I guess I find the movies to be well made and pretty entertaining. No they are not high art, but neither is John Wick or Mission Impossible movies.

I guess the plan is by HBO to make the books into a 7 year series with each book being played out over the year. This will allow for a lot more detail in the presentation.

I enjoyed the books and the movies. But I like being carried off into never land. It’s an escape from the dumpster fire of reality.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back