• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Exodus (post Spring Game portal activity)

In all fairness that one game scenario is what you are basing your talent analysis on and even then it’s arguable. Smoothers 2nd half performance against Iowa was pretty dismal after Iowa saw him for a single half and made adjustments.
You mean in the second half after:
-His OC/HC (the play calling) failed to adjust to what the Iowa DC changed in the second half and give Smothers a chance to succeed.
-His substandard O-line limited what was possible for Smothers to do, especially when Iowa brought pressure.
-DONU defense did nothing to create good field position for its offense in the second half, allowing Iowa to be extremely aggressive on defense, further limiting Smothers.
-None of the DONU skill players around Smothers (RB,WR,TE made a play in the second half)

But other than creating more than 80% of DONU total offensive yardage, Smothers was a complete failure that day......... :).

GBR

Smothers should have been used way more in 2022, at least as a wildcat QB last year. But our OC was a DOLT!

I expect to see Haarberg in short yardage/goal line wildcat, option for us this year. Should be highly successful. Big Ten version of Tim Tebow in this short yardage situation.

Last edited:
You mean in the second half after:
-His OC/HC (the play calling) failed to adjust to what the Iowa DC changed in the second half and give Smothers a chance to succeed.
-His substandard O-line limited what was possible for Smothers to do, especially when Iowa brought pressure.
-DONU defense did nothing to create good field position for its offense in the second half, allowing Iowa to be extremely aggressive on defense, further limiting Smothers.
-None of the DONU skill players around Smothers (RB,WR,TE made a play in the second half)

But other than creating more than 80% of DONU total offensive yardage, Smothers was a complete failure that day......... :).

GBR

Smothers should have been used way more in 2022, at least as a wildcat QB last year. But our OC was a DOLT!
All of that is true, and maybe he would have killed it but the odds are very low. 3 different HC's all "passed" on him getting more playing time. If it was just Frost, I'd be good ignoring that but it wasn't. Good luck to the kid, he's a great athlete and I hope he kills it where ever he ends up.

All of that is true, and maybe he would have killed it but the odds are very low. 3 different HC's all "passed" on him getting more playing time. If it was just Frost, I'd be good ignoring that but it wasn't. Good luck to the kid, he's a great athlete and I hope he kills it where ever he ends up.
Notice I never said he should NOT have entered the Transfer Portal, only that blaming him for the second half of the Iowa game is ignoring the team aspects of the game.

QB gets too much credit when things going well, too much blame when they are not......
Go give the Pipeline a big huge :)

Last edited:
In all fairness that one game scenario is what you are basing your talent analysis on and even then it’s arguable. Smoothers 2nd half performance against Iowa was pretty dismal after Iowa saw him for a single half and made adjustments.
It was kind of easy to make adjustments with our Oline play. Element of surprise was gone. I think he would be pretty good in the right system and actually getting consistent first team reps. QB play is very dependent on reps. So at that point it is down to playcalling and O-Line play at that point.

It is also why HH needs a ton of reps to even match his physical potential. We don't have a dominant RB run game to set up play action and slow defenses down. How can Smothers or Purdy or HH develop in that environment? 3rd team reps at best for these guys.

No…..three staffs. Frost didn’t play him because he wasn’t good enough to beat out Martinez……period. Mickey didn’t NOT play him because of being in the middle of the season. After all he got rid of a defensive coordinator.

The bottom line is he’s moving on by his choice. Good luck to him but you are going to find very few posters to agree with you that he has been passed over by less talented quarterbacks.
I don’t give a damn who agrees. You can’t judge a kid seeing him one time. No one can. We saw how Martinez worked out. Frost wasn’t benching him for anything. Logan was a fairly highly rated recruit, so he is indeed a very good athlete. You, or any other fan can’t determine as much in one game. No way. And if you did, he did more good things than bad in that one game. You are just going on the word of Frost, which, as we’ve learned, has zero merit. As for the defense, they ran mostly the exact same thing with a different play caller. I’m not saying he would have been a great player, I’m saying we don’t freaking know. Who knows what he might have been? He never got a chance.

It still bothers me big time that Whipple stuck with Purdy, when Smothers was clearly a better option!
100%. Purdy wasn’t ready, at all. Deer in headlights. He does have some ability, but he was completely lost. Favoritism BS is why he didn’t play. Hell, the team was already losing. What the hell did you have to lose? Absolutely nothing.

100%. Purdy wasn’t ready, at all. Deer in headlights. He does have some ability, but he was completely lost. Favoritism BS is why he didn’t play. Hell, the team was already losing. What the hell did you have to lose? Absolutely nothing.
How many games did Purdy play in?

I don’t give a damn who agrees. You can’t judge a kid seeing him one time. No one can. We saw how Martinez worked out. Frost wasn’t benching him for anything. Logan was a fairly highly rated recruit, so he is indeed a very good athlete. You, or any other fan can’t determine as much in one game. No way. And if you did, he did more good things than bad in that one game. You are just going on the word of Frost, which, as we’ve learned, has zero merit. As for the defense, they ran mostly the exact same thing with a different play caller. I’m not saying he would have been a great player, I’m saying we don’t freaking know. Who knows what he might have been? He never got a chance.
Except for you, you apparently can judge off of that one game.

No idea. 2-3 maybe. We aren’t talking about him as he is still here.
Just wanted to know the minimum number of games required to know when a kid "wasn't ready at all...He's completely lost".

Looks like it's 2. If only Smothers had 1 more game, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Except for you, you apparently can judge off of that one game.
What did I judge? That he was a great player? Hell no, never said as much. I don’t know what he could have been, just that I liked his abilities for a first game. His speed, running ability, and he threw it decent when they let him. Kid is a good athlete. What I saw against Iowa, made me want to see more of him. That’s it. Hell, what was fired out there wasn’t working, at all.

Just wanted to know the minimum number of games required to know when a kid "wasn't ready at all...He's completely lost".

Looks like it's 2. If only Smothers had 1 more game, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
He was lost. Watch the plays. He had no idea what to do. That’s also not his fault either. First year in the system, or whatever nonsense you want to call it. He didn’t know what to do or where to go with the ball. Probably one of the worse games I’ve seen a QB play at this level, less Davis Bevel against Texas last year in a 49-0 blowout. That was worse. Purdy does have some ability, but he wasn’t ready for what those coaches threw him into. Smothers had been here for a few years, so he knew the offense. Huge difference. You are totally grasping and reaching right now because yo ass got owned. ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back