• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Greatest NFL Huskers

Tom Novak.

Sorry. Tom never played in the NFL. Got his jersey retired though.

I care because I grew up with his boys, Tommy and Terry. I care because on October 31,1959 I witnessed Nebraska beat Oklahoma, ending an unbeaten streak of 74 conference games. Afterward, Tom took us to a bar to celebrate. My abstaining parents were non too happy that Tom took their 10 yr. old son to a bar.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, wasn't Wistrom the first with Natty and a Super Bowl win?

I don't remember if he was the first, but he was damned sure on a short list.

I do remember him running a 4.61 40 at 270+lbs on his pro day. My best 40 was 4.65 as a MLB....and under 200lbs. He was an athletic freak.

Yep. No pro bowl, no postseason honors (all-pro, etc.). Good NFL career, but Grant's college career was better.

Interestingly, Kyle Vanden Bosch ranks ahead of Wistrom in metrics used to determine value for the HOF.

He made the All Madden team in 1999, and he definitely should have made the pro bowl after the 1999, 2000, and 2001 seasons. How he didn’t is beyond me. In 1999, he had 60 tackles, 2 interceptions returned for touchdowns, 7 passes defensed (as a lineman), one fumble recovery, 6.5 sacks, along with numerous hurries. He was a menace. Oh, and his team won the Super Bowl. It was a joke he didn’t make it.

He made the All Madden team in 1999, and he definitely should have made the pro bowl after the 1999, 2000, and 2001 seasons. How he didn’t is beyond me. In 1999, he had 60 tackles, 2 interceptions returned for touchdowns, 7 passes defensed (as a lineman), one fumble recovery, 6.5 sacks, along with numerous hurries. He was a menace. Oh, and his team won the Super Bowl. It was a joke he didn’t make it.

But it's not just individual numbers -- it's also how you compare with your peers.

For example, in 1999, Jevon Kearse was first team all-pro -- as he set the NFL rookie record for sacks in a season. And Kevin Carter was the other DE named all-pro -- who happened to be Wistrom's teammate -- and led the NFL with 17 sacks.

Wistrom ate college QBs for lunch. Leveled them. We sure have had some good DEs over the years.

But it's not just individual numbers -- it's also how you compare with your peers.

For example, in 1999, Jevon Kearse was first team all-pro -- as he set the NFL rookie record for sacks in a season. And Kevin Carter was the other DE named all-pro -- who happened to be Wistrom's teammate -- and led the NFL with 17 sacks.
Kevin Greene. Lol I understand, he should have made the pro bowl. You named two. There are 4 at least who make it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back