• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule already reached out to Thompson and Nelson

Whipple's offense was a step back from Frost's offense. That's not saying much we had no slant or quick hitch. We could use short passes as a running game it was a lack of QB development or a true running game. I hope we clean house.

Whipple is a big issue during the current year ... he advocated Purdy as the primary backup ... and lost us a game because of that. He promotes a walk-on QB over two scholarship athletes? Why? Because that player fit Whipple's system better than the other two players? Whipple was a disaster!
I'm not sure Whi[pple was the disaster, I don't think our O-line could protect adequately enough to protect the qb effectively. I'm betting Trey Palmer and Casey Thompson would both argue the point that Whipple was a disaster. developing lineman on both sides of the ball was a huge issue for Frost and for Nebraska as a whole, over the last 10+ years. Nebraska has not lived up to its recruiting rankings since early in Pelini's tenure. that's a development issue. sorry for the rambling..... In short, win in the trenches and win the game.

I'm not sure Whi[pple was the disaster, I don't think our O-line could protect adequately enough to protect the qb effectively. I'm betting Trey Palmer and Casey Thompson would both argue the point that Whipple was a disaster. developing lineman on both sides of the ball was a huge issue for Frost and for Nebraska as a whole, over the last 10+ years. Nebraska has not lived up to its recruiting rankings since early in Pelini's tenure. that's a development issue. sorry for the rambling..... In short, win in the trenches and win the game.
Agreed. In Whips previous stay his QB was often throwing last second, and of course it worked. CT tried doing the same at a higher physical cost because of the O line play.

And as OC, Whipple knows that the O-line was a disaster yet he continually ran plays like he had a stellar line. He didn’t adapt to our players.

It is easy to reflect on the decisions now but ... bringing in Whipple, when Frost did, the way he did it ... allowing Whipple to have unfettered decision making on style of offense, play calling and QB determination was the worst decision in the history of Frost decisions.

Its easy to say this now but MJ needed to fire Whipple at the same time he fired Chinander. There may not have been a logical successor to step into that role but Whipple did NOT win us any games we were not going to win and he lost us - Purdue, Wisconsin and probably Minnesota - with his stubbornness to modify his play calling and QB depth chart.

Win those 3 game we are 7-5 ... 5-2 under MJ ... not counting Oklahoma and we are maybe talking to him as our head coach.
And yet it was nearly universally applauded at the time as SF was finally stepping out of the way and getting someone in who knew how to call plays and be productive in the red zone.

Also, even if NU went 5-2 under MJ, we are still better off in the long run to have him as a member of Rhule's staff than if he were the HC.

All in the past now.

And yet it was nearly universally applauded at the time as SF was finally stepping out of the way and getting someone in who knew how to call plays and be productive in the red zone.

Also, even if NU went 5-2 under MJ, we are still better off in the long run to have him as a member of Rhule's staff than if he were the HC.

All in the past now.
I agree ... I was happy about someone other than Frost and his cronnies managing the offense but I didn't realize how inflexible MW was going to be as an OC.

I also agree MJ as part of MR's staff is better in the long run ... all I'm saying is MJ might have had a more legitimate claim.

Except Iowa

Their backup, while not great, played better than their starter.

Screenshot 2022-11-29 131334.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back