• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rhule already reached out to Thompson and Nelson

I'm not sure Whi[pple was the disaster, I don't think our O-line could protect adequately enough to protect the qb effectively. I'm betting Trey Palmer and Casey Thompson would both argue the point that Whipple was a disaster. developing lineman on both sides of the ball was a huge issue for Frost and for Nebraska as a whole, over the last 10+ years. Nebraska has not lived up to its recruiting rankings since early in Pelini's tenure. that's a development issue. sorry for the rambling..... In short, win in the trenches and win the game.
In basketball if your tallest player is 6 inches shorter than the other team … you’re likely not going to have an offense that pounds it inside.

If you have a football team who’s OLine is questionable you probably don’t run a drop back passing game. You adjust your game plan and play calling to accommodate your strengths and weaknesses. That’s on Whipple. We were beating Minnesota and Purdue with a certain style and Whipple then deviated from the first drive script to his same old same old.

No one is suggesting the OLine was the strength of the team but isn’t it on Whipple as OC to play to a team’s strength?

In basketball if your tallest player is 6 inches shorter than the other team … you’re likely not going to have an offense that pounds it inside.

If you have a football team who’s OLine is questionable you probably don’t run a drop back passing game. You adjust your game plan and play calling to accommodate your strengths and weaknesses. That’s on Whipple. We were beating Minnesota and Purdue with a certain style and Whipple then deviated from the first drive script to his same old same old.

No one is suggesting the OLine was the strength of the team but isn’t it on Whipple as OC to play to a team’s strength?
Using a basketball comparative isnt a good example. Kansas faced Duke a few weeks ago with Duke running two 7' and Kansas starting center was at best 6'8.

I'm tired of the addage starting OTs need to be 6'6 or taller. Leverage kills speed rushers. And too many times smaller speed olb or de burn on the outside rush.

We seem to be the only team in the country that doesn't have anyone they can plug in. Every team the Huskers play gets better when their backup comes in.
I believe our defense has something to do with that :( seems like in recent years we've made some back-ups look like Heisman contenders.

I started out mentioning Iowa's backup QB, then saw that others did the same later in the thread.
Oh well, now that I need to edit to something, I'll just say the O-line is what makes every quarterback look better or worse than he really is.

Last edited:
Agree the oline was bad but the offense got noticeably worse when frost was not overseeing it. That is a knock on Mickey I couldn’t get out of my head in regards to his readiness to be a HC.

Not universally. To some of us it was a nightmare hire from the get go.
"nearly universally"

Convenient of you to leave off the modifier in my original post. The things some posters have to do to make themselves right. Sigh.

Using a basketball comparative isnt a good example. Kansas faced Duke a few weeks ago with Duke running two 7' and Kansas starting center was at best 6'8.

I'm tired of the addage starting OTs need to be 6'6 or taller. Leverage kills speed rushers. And too many times smaller speed olb or de burn on the outside rush.
Actually it is ... Kansas did not try to beat Duke by pounding it inside to its mismatched 6'8" center ... they won the game because they got 38 points from their wing player Jalen Wilson

My point and the purpose of the comparison is ... play to your team's strength ... do not make the team accommodate your system. Asking a team who's offensive line had challenges with speed rushers against your two tackles ... you don't run a pro-style drop back offense. CT got killed this year because MW insisted on a certain style of offense. Even in games where the scripted first drives worked (with RPO, run centric play calling) Whipple resorted to drop back passing. Even when your 1st string QB gets injured he puts in a guy who is scared of his shadow and continued to call the same style of plays.

PS ... never once did I mention 6'6" or taller tackles!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back