• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Corcoran

He didn't pull out a sabre and decapitate the guy. I'm not saying it was this terrible injustice he should be kicked off the team for. That said, you can't watch that and reasonably say you don't see how it got called a penalty. There is a fine line between playing with aggression and playing out of control. Suh played that line well at Nebraska. When he got to the NFL he lost control of where that line was a number of times.

We've watched Nebraska the last six years struggle to overcome self inflicted wounds. We aren't good enough to pick up 15 yard penalties on consecutive plays and find ways to overcome that. When you decide to take a cheap shot on someone (even if it isn't "a bad one") you are placing your own emotions over the team. He made a mistake and I'm sure will learn from it.
It looks like we are good enough with physical play to overcome two 15 yard penalties back to back in this case. Hmmm!

He didn't pull out a sabre and decapitate the guy. I'm not saying it was this terrible injustice he should be kicked off the team for. That said, you can't watch that and reasonably say you don't see how it got called a penalty. There is a fine line between playing with aggression and playing out of control. Suh played that line well at Nebraska. When he got to the NFL he lost control of where that line was a number of times.

We've watched Nebraska the last six years struggle to overcome self inflicted wounds. We aren't good enough to pick up 15 yard penalties on consecutive plays and find ways to overcome that. When you decide to take a cheap shot on someone (even if it isn't "a bad one") you are placing your own emotions over the team. He made a mistake and I'm sure will learn from it.

I have zero problem with the first penalty. He was protecting his QB, and he wasn't the only one in there doing that. It's the second penalty that just showed a lack of discipline.

I have zero problem with the first penalty. He was protecting his QB, and he wasn't the only one in there doing that. It's the second penalty that just showed a lack of discipline.

100%

There is the aggressive, ‘I’m going to shove you around until the whistle blows’ and then there is the ‘Hurting your team’ kind of aggressive.

We don’t need the latter.

It looks like we are good enough with physical play to overcome two 15 yard penalties back to back in this case. Hmmm!
We ended up punting because we were forced into 2nd and long and couldn't overcome it. Indiana took the ball down the field and scored right before halftime. That penalty was likely at least a seven point swing, if not more. Get rid of those penalties and we are 40 yards further down the field and get at least a field goal before halftime, plus don't leave Indiana time to score before the half.

If you want to troll, consider doing it with someone else. If you honestly don't believe the penalty was that bad and we should see more of that type of play, I can't do anything to help you.

I have no problem with the second one either, the team needed a win at all levels including physicality. Going forward he should learn to fall on his face mask with his hands instead of swipe at him but should be using the same aggression and violence on every play. Sometimes that gets a call but usually that aggression will pay more than it costs

I have no problem with the second one either, the team needed a win at all levels including physicality. Going forward he should learn to fall on his face mask with his hands instead of swipe at him but should be using the same aggression and violence on every play. Sometimes that gets a call but usually that aggression will pay more than it costs

Is it worth taking that risk after you just got an unsportsmanlike call the play before? He didn't get ejected for a punch, he got ejected because he received his 2nd unsportsmanlike. Just a lack of awareness on his part.

Is it worth taking that risk after you just got an unsportsmanlike call the play before? He didn't get ejected for a punch, he got ejected because he received his 2nd unsportsmanlike. Just a lack of awareness on his part.
Something he shouldn't do every game, but it really didn't bother me. We should have more OLine depth and more nastiness. Like I said, having an attitude like that and throwing around a defender will yield far more yards than giving up 15 yards on a penalty. I would say it almost always ends up in a W if you are that confident.
It also gets in the head of the defender that they are looking to hit an olineman instead of the ball carrier and that leads to 50-yard runs.

I quickly watched the replay yesterday. Given that we were driving at end of the half (and that IU scored with a few seconds left) Corcoran's penalties cost us a minimum of 7 points and potentially 10-14. It was a game changer at the end of the half and if the defense didn't bail him out with a second half shut-out, it easily could have cost us the game. So, since we won, all is forgiven? I guess, but that kinda stuff just can't happen again.

When you couple that with Benhard's decision to not block either defender on the sack in the endzone, the OL directly cost us 14-21 points. I really hope they can get that fixed.

Last edited:

We ended up punting because we were forced into 2nd and long and couldn't overcome it. Indiana took the ball down the field and scored right before halftime. That penalty was likely at least a seven point swing, if not more. Get rid of those penalties and we are 40 yards further down the field and get at least a field goal before halftime, plus don't leave Indiana time to score before the half.

If you want to troll, consider doing it with someone else. If you honestly don't believe the penalty was that bad and we should see more of that type of play, I can't do anything to help you.
We won the game. We overcame the penalties.

Because someone likes the physicality displayed and you are being challenged it is trolling?

WTH. No one is asking for your help and why do you think anyone would be asking for your help.

I‘m simply stating I like the physicality.

You are reading something into my position that isn’t there. I’m not complaining about the refs. I don’t think it was an egregious act that hurt the team. In fact it might have helped the team in my opinion.

Consider not being so sensitive when a poster has a different opinion than yours.

Thank you. I agree completely.

I quickly watched the replay yesterday. Given that we were driving at end of the half (and that IU scored with a few seconds left) Corcoran's penalties cost us a minimum of 7 points and potentially 10-14. It was a game changer at the end of the half and if the defense didn't bail him out with a second half shut-out, it easily could have cost us the game. So, since we won, all is forgiven? I guess, but that kinda stuff just can't happen again.

When you couple that with Benhard's decision to not block either defender on the sack in the endzone, the OL directly cost us 14-21 points. I really hope they can get that fixed.
Yep

Look at the bigger picture. When was the last time you’ve seen that physical play? Yes all is forgiven, unless some want to dwell on that one play.

Now you want to dump on another player and the entire offensive line.

Lets get real. Both sides of the ball line dominated the second half.

But no, let’s dwell on 2 plays! Listen to the Joseph press conference for perspective.

We won the game. We overcame the penalties.

Because someone likes the physicality displayed and you are being challenged it is trolling?

WTH. No one is asking for your help and why do you think anyone would be asking for your help.

I‘m simply stating I like the physicality.

You are reading something into my position that isn’t there. I’m not complaining about the refs. I don’t think it was an egregious act that hurt the team. In fact it might have helped the team in my opinion.

Consider not being so sensitive when a poster has a different opinion than yours.
I think I've shown to be pretty even keel and open to discussing different viewpoints on this site; and while my post made clear my frustrations, it was actually nicer than what I originally was going to post. My issue is that you've completely ignored anything that has been brought up to support the other person's argument. I'm cool with having a discussion/debate from differing viewpoints, but the reason I think it has moved into "troll" territory is that you have at every turn refused to engage with any of the opposing arguments.

It is unclear what your viewpoint is. It is either: a) the play wasn't dirty and shouldn't have been penalized OR b) was dirty, but you are fine with it because it showed more physicality. If it is the former, we've talked through that point in my previous posts. The second penalty was clearly uncalled for. If it is the latter, then you are entitled to that opinion, but it is one that I don't want the team I cheer for to be associated with. Picking up unsportsmanlike penalties is something we had to battle through in the past with teams being undisciplined. We've lost games in the past because of dumb, unnecessary penalties like those. Yes, we won on Saturday, so it didn't lose us the game, but it clearly hurt us (killed drive, led to score). We might be able to get away with that against Indiana, but you can't afford those mistakes against better teams. Add to that, we should be wanting our team to play the game the right way. You can be the most physical team on the field by dominating between the snap and the whistle. Taking cheap shots or resorting to dirty plays isn't toughness, it is cowardice.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back