• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Oklahoma State comprehensive football thread

Ol’ Mike Gundy and OU’s little brother did a fair job again this season, finishing 12-1, and likely in the top 5 final AP ranking.

OSU is one of only three Power Five teams with winning seasons each of the past 16 years, along with Wisconsin and Oklahoma.

Remarkable.

Ol’ Mike Gundy and OU’s little brother did a fair job again this season, finishing 12-1, and likely in the top 5 final AP ranking.

OSU is one of only three Power Five teams with winning seasons each of the past 16 years, along with Wisconsin and Oklahoma.

Remarkable.
It was 12-2 but who’s counting.

Another 4-0 start. 16-2 over his last 18 games.

Most underrated coach ever.
Gundy would be my #1 target.

Proven coach. And he has to be a little salty over the pay cut and pressure he received for wearing the wrong tee shirt.

When you look at salaries, he is the best coach that you could give an attractive pay bump too and the Big XII is getting reduced to second tier.

He is competing at a top 10 level for several years now and brings in talent despite recruiting disadvantages.

Nobody had Lincoln Riley to USC or Kelly to LSU last year. Likewise, Gundy seems like the behind the scenes push you make with a big offer.

Proven coach. And he has to be a little salty over the pay cut and pressure he received for wearing the wrong tee shirt.

When you look at salaries, he is the best coach that you could give an attractive pay bump too and the Big XII is getting reduced to second tier.

He is competing at a top 10 level for several years now and brings in talent despite recruiting disadvantages.

Nobody had Lincoln Riley to USC or Kelly to LSU last year. Likewise, Gundy seems like the behind the scenes push you make with a big offer.

He recently said he’s a lifer now at OSU. Loves the prez and AD. The school gave him zero grief over the shirt. All media hype. The salary deal was nothing but PR on his and the school’s part. They love the guy.

Gundy is on a perpetual 5-year contract @ 7.5 mil a year, so his buyout would likely be $40 million or better.

His son is a QB on the team and another one playing at Stillwater high. I don’t see him leaving but who knows anymore.

I do think that folks are writing off the Big 12 a bit soon. Big 12 coaches do well and will continue to do so, and it is the most competitive conference top to bottom. That will only become more so with the new additions.

More money thus far hasn’t really translated to wins on the field for college programs. If it did, Texas or Notre Dame would have been national champions every year since 2000.

Last edited:

He recently said he’s a lifer now at OSU. Loves the prez and AD. The school gave him zero grief over the shirt. All media hype. The salary deal was nothing but PR on his and the school’s part. They love the guy.

Gundy is on a perpetual 5-year contract @ 7.5 mil a year, so his buyout would likely be $40 million or better.

His son is a QB on the team and another one playing at Stillwater high. I don’t see him leaving but who knows anymore.

I do think that folks are writing off the Big 12 a bit soon. Big 12 coaches do well and will continue to do so, and it is the most competitive conference top to bottom. That will only become more so with the new additions.

More money thus far hasn’t really translated to wins on the field for college programs. If it did, Texas or Notre Dame would have been national champions every year since 2000.
The younger Gundy at Stillwater HS, might be the best, most athletic, of all the Gundy’s, Mike and Cale included. Gage Gundy I believe. Mike isn’t going anywhere. OSU is rolling, and he’s happy again with no Boone, or Mike Holder to deal with anymore.

He isn’t leaving OSU. He’s a lifer. His boy plays there and another son coming next year. He’s very set. Very rich, and happy.

He isn’t leaving OSU. He’s a lifer. His boy plays there and another son coming next year. He’s very set. Very rich, and happy.
His boys can transfer here. We can make him richer, can’t vouch for happier. I’d love to have him here.

I don’t think it’s likely though which I think is basically what you’re saying too.

His boys can transfer here. We can make him richer, can’t vouch for happier. I’d love to have him here.

I don’t think it’s likely though which I think is basically what you’re saying too.
He’s been there 17 years. He isn’t leaving there. It’s his school. He doesn’t have a lot of pressure, and he makes a killing in Stillwater America. He produces mostly very good teams. No way he would leave, for Nebraska.

I think a big question for any coach looking at Nebraska is, can they still win big? I don’t know the answer to that. I recall Mike Gundy, himself, talking about the Nebraska situation once, with regard to conference realignment. Basically said he thought Nebraska’s move to the Big 10 ended their recruiting in Texas, and that the program wasn’t the same as a result. That’s been a few years, but the point might be a valid one.

Last edited:

The only thing is that OSU was always tied to OU, that is if OU went to another conference, in theory, OSU was supposed to go too.

That has not happened with the SEC, the BIG 12 is going to be left in the dust of history, so a truly good coach like Gundy may be available just because he wants to play in the "big boy" league.

And yes DONU should be interested if he was available.

That has not happened with the SEC, the BIG 12 is going to be left in the dust of history, so a truly good coach like Gundy may be available just because he wants to play in the "big boy" league.

Not so sure about that...if you include BYU and Cincinnati, the Big 12 has 6 teams in the top 25 - more than any other conference except the SEC with 7. OU and Texas aren't even ranked. The Big 12 is a bigger boy league than the Big 10, top to bottom. Not even a question. The pre-season, non-conference games for the Big 10 were downright embarrassing.

The Big 12 will be fine. Might be operating with half of the dollars of the Big 10 and SEC, but the $$$ disparity in college football has been around for quite a long time now.

If riches translated into nattys, Notre Dame and Texas would be playing each other every year.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back