• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Give Mickey Joseph 1.5 years

College football programs don’t thrive on uncertainty. Either hire him as a full time coach with a standard 5 year or more contract, or don’t. Recruits for next year should know that the university is making a commitment to someone. Trev is looking for a “builder”. Short term contracts are counterproductive to building.

But if turned down for the head job would Mickey take an assistant spot even if offered. In those circumstances I would think it is not likely.

If that happens, I think a lot would depend upon whether the new head coach could really help advance MJ's coaching trajectory. Sometimes, it's good to be passed over -- especially for someone who lacks head coaching experience -- which is what happened with Luke Fickell years ago.

Back in 2011, co-DC Luke Fickell was appointed interim head coach at Ohio State while Jim Tressel served a 2 game (subsequently increased to 5 game) suspension for his role in tatoo-gate. Tressel later resigned in May 2011 and that month Fickell signed a one year contract as interim head coach. Basically, the deal allowed OSU to 'kick the tires' with Fickell at the helm while in reality waiting for Meyer to finish his gig with ESPN. After the 2011 season, Ohio State hired Urban Meyer and Fickell resumed his position as co-defensive coordinator on Meyer's coaching staff.

Fickell's situation is different but also similar to what Mickey Joseph has been thrown into. Different because Fickell was interim head coach from May (including summer camp) and, more importantly, Ohio State was a good team coming off a 12-win season in 2010. Also, Fickell had been a coach at Ohio State since 2002, so all of the players knew him even if he wasn't their coordinator/position coach. The similarities include the lack of head coaching experience before being named interim head coach, as well as being a former player at their respective schools. Being passed over for the 'permanent' head coach job following the 2011 season is probably one of the best things to have happened in Fickell's coaching career. He was able to work under Urban Meyer for four seasons and learned quite a bit during that time. I highly doubt he would have been as successful at Cincinnati if he hadn't resumed being co-DC when UM was hired as head coach at Ohio State.

But if turned down for the head job would Mickey take an assistant spot even if offered. In those circumstances I would think it is not likely.
Just depends on what expectations had been set before and what Mickey's aspirations are with coaching. An interim stint probably isn't going to parlay into a head coaching gig at another program. If Nebraska wants him and he has relationships and doesn't want to move his family again, he might decide to stay. If he feels like he has been slighted in the process, he probably wouldn't want to stay, but if it is handled professionally, there might be a case he stays on.

Ummmm…. You’re showing right now why the Dallas Cowboys are stuck… too logical, not enough gut feel.
That's funny. Cowboys under Jerry Jones left alone was Always based on gut

Huskers are in no position to bet on your gut feeling or mine

We need a proven leader who built a program and won.

Your and my feelings should play zero role in a rationale process.

If that happens, I think a lot would depend upon whether the new head coach could really help advance MJ's coaching trajectory. Sometimes, it's good to be passed over -- especially for someone who lacks head coaching experience -- which is what happened with Luke Fickell years ago.

Back in 2011, co-DC Luke Fickell was appointed interim head coach at Ohio State while Jim Tressel served a 2 game (subsequently increased to 5 game) suspension for his role in tatoo-gate. Tressel later resigned in May 2011 and that month Fickell signed a one year contract as interim head coach. Basically, the deal allowed OSU to 'kick the tires' with Fickell at the helm while in reality waiting for Meyer to finish his gig with ESPN. After the 2011 season, Ohio State hired Urban Meyer and Fickell resumed his position as co-defensive coordinator on Meyer's coaching staff.

Fickell's situation is different but also similar to what Mickey Joseph has been thrown into. Different because Fickell was interim head coach from May (including summer camp) and, more importantly, Ohio State was a good team coming off a 12-win season in 2010. Also, Fickell had been a coach at Ohio State since 2002, so all of the players knew him even if he wasn't their coordinator/position coach. The similarities include the lack of head coaching experience before being named interim head coach, as well as being a former player at their respective schools. Being passed over for the 'permanent' head coach job following the 2011 season is probably one of the best things to have happened in Fickell's coaching career. He was able to work under Urban Meyer for four seasons and learned quite a bit during that time. I highly doubt he would have been as successful at Cincinnati if he hadn't resumed being co-DC when UM was hired as head coach at Ohio State.
Definitely some potential for something like this. That being said, if Mickey wants to be a head coach, I assume he'll be looking to take some sort of added responsibility (coordinator position or a head coaching gig). Our next head coach might have other people in mind, others might be all for keeping him on. Most places are looking for someone who is coming off being a head coach or a coordinator before they'll give them the head job at their school.

Definitely some potential for something like this. That being said, if Mickey wants to be a head coach, I assume he'll be looking to take some sort of added responsibility (coordinator position or a head coaching gig). Our next head coach might have other people in mind, others might be all for keeping him on. Most places are looking for someone who is coming off being a head coach or a coordinator before they'll give them the head job at their school.
Mickey is a stand-up individual who will land on his feet after NU's year of turmoil is over. And at some point in the relatively near future he'll get a shot somewhere as an HC, as he should.

Mickey is a stand-up individual who will land on his feet after NU's year of turmoil is over. And at some point in the relatively near future he'll get a shot somewhere as an HC, as he should.
Certainly if he proves he has some of the chops during this interim stint, I think he'll have a shot to get a gig at an FCS or maybe even group of 5 school as a head coach. I don't foresee a Power 5 gambling on him, with the limited track record. Doesn't mean he wouldn't be successful there, just means places will be afraid to roll the dice.

I’ve seen talk of giving him a month or until this year ends. I am in support of giving him this year plus next year as well. What is this based on? Recruiting abilities, passion for the program, an ability to maje tough decisions (replacing Chinander with Busch). I feel, gut instinct talking here, we need to give him more time to prove himself. We are damn lucky to have him.
Fortunately, Trev has insider access to all the facts and details that we schmoes can only speculate about. Basing our conclusions on scoreboard and "it feels like we're heading in the right direction" is what has caused our heartaches for the past 20 years.

Mickey got thrown into a buzz saw last week, with basically 5 days to prepare his "fragile" troops to meet a Top 5 team in OU (which, I think we'll see, is tougher than we expected under Venables). So the OU game is an unfair measure of his coaching acumen. However, 9 games should be more than enough for Trev to make an informed analysis on whether Mickey is the leader this program needs. Whether that translates to the W-L record we want to see this year (or a bowl) may not be evident to us as fans.

This conversation is a bit premature in my opinion. why not let his results and team performance speak for itself?
if we’re willing to be honest and fair, I think we will acknowledge where there is clear improvement by week 6, if any. If the team is maximizing their talent level, with sone or two good surprises along the way, then he might deserve a chance. let the product on the field speak for itself.
Barring the team winning a bunch of games it shouldn't over the next two months ... (I do not think going 4-4 or 5-3 is enough) ... needing/wanting a guy who's already been a P5 HC is probably way up there on importance.

This conversation is a bit premature in my opinion. why not let his results and team performance speak for itself?
if we’re willing to be honest and fair, I think we will acknowledge where there is clear improvement by week 6, if any. If the team is maximizing their talent level, with sone or two good surprises along the way, then he might deserve a chance. let the product on the field speak for itself.
Because there is more to the job than a couple weeks of improvement. We've seen many examples of guys going into places and having stints of success, but failing to not long after. That doesn't mean the same would happen to MJ, but it doesn't mean it won't.

It is a safer pick to go with the larger sample size, even if it was somewhere else.

Unless Mickey is already considered Trev's man I don't think giving him time is beneficial to the program. I say bring in the new coach and staff ASAP so we can get through the hurt quicker. Everyone knows that Mickey isn't the guy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back