• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Give Mickey Joseph 1.5 years

I am worried that we have put ourselves in a HC or he leaves position with Mickey. Not sure how that could have been avoided.
I am concerned about this as well for the exact same reason.
I believe this leaves Mickey in a tough recruiting position with recruits.
The recruits might want to sign with Mickey but maybe not the possible replacement.
Makes me wonder about Trev Albert's timing as this could backfire by waiting to name a head ball coach.
Maybe Raiola would be interested in playing for a Mickey led Nebraska team if the rumors are true.
Damn, I'm just looking for ray of hope but this scenario is like Rubik's cube.

That's not workable on a number of levels, not the least of which being that it would be really hard to recruit to a "we're going to give this guy another year and see how it goes" strategy. You need to lock in a staff for a set time for a rebuild of this mess--and you're probably not going to do that with a guy who hasn't been a coordinator (much less a HC) at the P5 level. Trev needs to turn the page from the Frost debacle and that requires a new figurehead.

I love Mickey and hope he sticks withthe program in some way with the new staff. But I don't think he's realistically got a shot at the HC job. His job is to try to get the plane on the runway while hitting as few trees as possible.

This in a nutshell^^. You'd get some kids to believe, but many would see the lack of security in the hire and look elsewhere. NU needs to find a proven winner this time around. Mickey may be that guy in time, but it's not a chance worth taking.

We'll have a very good idea of his ability to run a program by year's end. Either they are looking better or they aren't.

Doesn't Mickey have a 3 year deal as it stands now? Seems to be some chatter (for what it's worth) in the media that Mickey will stay in some function regardless of what a new hire might do. Trev could make some position for him in player development, associate something or other within the athletic dept, etc.

I am worried that we have put ourselves in a HC or he leaves position with Mickey. Not sure how that could have been avoided.
A possibility but not a strong one IMO ... he's got a bit of an IN w/ NU but other schools are going to look at him much the same way we are looking at him.

I do wonder if an OC position were offered whether he might leave for that .... I really really really hope the new HC will offer MJ an assistant coaching position, along with recruiting coordinator and possibly associate head coach as well.

Last edited:
I’ve seen talk of giving him a month or until this year ends. I am in support of giving him this year plus next year as well. What is this based on? Recruiting abilities, passion for the program, an ability to maje tough decisions (replacing Chinander with Busch). I feel, gut instinct talking here, we need to give him more time to prove himself. We are damn lucky to have him.
I don't think the fanbase has the patience to wait it out more than this season with him. That could prove to be a mistake, especially if we don't end up hiring the right person and Mickey goes on and excels. I just don't see us having the urgency to fire our coach 3 games in, but then sitting around to see if the interim can have what it takes. Plus, without a long term commitment from the university, Mickey would be a bit of a sitting duck for that year. That would make it tough for him to build a team of assistants and adequately recruit.

I don't think the fanbase has the patience to wait it out more than this season with him. That could prove to be a mistake, especially if we don't end up hiring the right person and Mickey goes on and excels. I just don't see us having the urgency to fire our coach 3 games in, but then sitting around to see if the interim can have what it takes. Plus, without a long term commitment from the university, Mickey would be a bit of a sitting duck for that year. That would make it tough for him to build a team of assistants and adequately recruit.
Whoever is hired at the end of this season will require a multi year deal, no doubt.

It's beyond silly to expect a coach to work on a one year contract.

This would be a horrible decision by TA. If MJ happens to pull out a miracle and wins 6-7 games this year maybe we should give him the HC position. To me this still would be a HUGE risk.

But HC's need at least a 4 year contract to bring in assistants and be credible with recruits.

1.5 years would be a disaster

A possibility but not a strong one IMO ... he's got a bit of an IN w/ NU but other schools are going to look at him much the same way we are looking at him.

I do wonder if an OC position were offered whether he might leave for that .... I really really really hope the new HC will offer MJ an assistant coaching position, along with recruiting coordinator and possibly associate head coach as well.
But if turned down for the head job would Mickey take an assistant spot even if offered. In those circumstances I would think it is not likely.

But if turned down for the head job would Mickey take an assistant spot even if offered. In those circumstances I would think it is not likely.
Not necessarily … I’m hoping the conversation with TA goes something like … “I need a guy who’s been a P5 head coach before. I love what you’ve done and I am going to advocate that the new coach retain you as Assoc HC. You’ve done everything and more in the situation you were handed. Regardless of what you want to do or where you want to go, I will unequivocally support you.“.

This conversation is a bit premature in my opinion. why not let his results and team performance speak for itself?
if we’re willing to be honest and fair, I think we will acknowledge where there is clear improvement by week 6, if any. If the team is maximizing their talent level, with sone or two good surprises along the way, then he might deserve a chance. let the product on the field speak for itself.

That's not workable on a number of levels, not the least of which being that it would be really hard to recruit to a "we're going to give this guy another year and see how it goes" strategy. You need to lock in a staff for a set time for a rebuild of this mess--and you're probably not going to do that with a guy who hasn't been a coordinator (much less a HC) at the P5 level. Trev needs to turn the page from the Frost debacle and that requires a new figurehead.

I love Mickey and hope he sticks withthe program in some way with the new staff. But I don't think he's realistically got a shot at the HC job. His job is to try to get the plane on the runway while hitting as few trees as possible.
Hire Mickey Joseph for the next four years - give the guy a contract - and you won’t be disappointed. We don’t need the expensive “proven” option. We just need a worker and recruiter.

This conversation is a bit premature in my opinion. why not let his results and team performance speak for itself?
if we’re willing to be honest and fair, I think we will acknowledge where there is clear improvement by week 6, if any. If the team is maximizing their talent level, with sone or two good surprises along the way, then he might deserve a chance. let the product on the field speak for itself.
YeahI get it. Technically you are correct. Sure, it’s premature. My thread is based on a strong gut feeling. Always correct? No. 90%? Sure.

This would be a horrible decision by TA. If MJ happens to pull out a miracle and wins 6-7 games this year maybe we should give him the HC position. To me this still would be a HUGE risk.

But HC's need at least a 4 year contract to bring in assistants and be credible with recruits.

1.5 years would be a disaster
Ummmm…. You’re showing right now why the Dallas Cowboys are stuck… too logical, not enough gut feel.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back