• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Give Mickey Joseph 1.5 years

AlaskaCorn

GBR
5 Year Member
I’ve seen talk of giving him a month or until this year ends. I am in support of giving him this year plus next year as well. What is this based on? Recruiting abilities, passion for the program, an ability to maje tough decisions (replacing Chinander with Busch). I feel, gut instinct talking here, we need to give him more time to prove himself. We are damn lucky to have him.

I’ve seen talk of giving him a month or until this year ends. I am in support of giving him this year plus next year as well. What is this based on? Recruiting abilities, passion for the program, an ability to maje tough decisions (replacing Chinander with Busch). I feel, gut instinct talking here, we need to give him more time to prove himself. We are damn lucky to have him.

Why do you think this? Just curious.. he has never been a head coach outside of the high school level.

I am just basing it on gut feeling. We are going to be happy in the future with him as head coach. His attention to detail will get us where we want to be, and the guy will work hard and not give up.

He is auditioning for the job now. He gets 8 more games to show what he's got. I like mickey. I hope he earns the job.

It may not seem fair, but if he has the goods, 6 more wins should seal the deal

No. I generally have liked everything you have posted over the 15 years I have been on this board, but I respectfully disagree with your post. Mickey Joseph needs this year, PLUS next year, to prove himself. He’s got the goods, Bro…

Last edited:
no. it is frustrating enough to have wasted 2022. pick a program builder and build - pick a direction and go in it. Mickey is fun and cool - he does not have the resume to take over this job. he would not be the best direction to push in

That's not workable on a number of levels, not the least of which being that it would be really hard to recruit to a "we're going to give this guy another year and see how it goes" strategy. You need to lock in a staff for a set time for a rebuild of this mess--and you're probably not going to do that with a guy who hasn't been a coordinator (much less a HC) at the P5 level. Trev needs to turn the page from the Frost debacle and that requires a new figurehead.

I love Mickey and hope he sticks withthe program in some way with the new staff. But I don't think he's realistically got a shot at the HC job. His job is to try to get the plane on the runway while hitting as few trees as possible.

It would be a cool story but when you’re looking for your 4th coach in 10 years I think you have to go with a coach with a proven record in a power 5 conference. I’ve been on here saying it worked with Clemson and Dabo but those circumstances were way different. I’d love to seem whoever the new coach is keep Mickey as AHC and let him keep recruiting. He’s proven himself as an ace recruiter

Wouldn't he have to hire a staff and with just one year and the likely attrition of many players the extra year doesn't even sound useful. He is in a horrible spot. Probably why firing a coach in season is not optimal. Players check out, coaches are not going to be around.....the sooner they can name someone the better but I don't have a good feeling about that one.

If we are considering him it speaks volumes to what kind of respect he has from Trev. His resume alone would not get him considered for a P5 job anywhere at this point. If he wins 5-6 games somehow you almost have to give it to him, but if less than that you need to go with a proven commodity. Not really fair because I think it will take a miracle to win 3 more, but we have to spend some money to minimize the risk.

It would be a cool story but when you’re looking for your 4th coach in 10 years I think you have to go with a coach with a proven record in a power 5 conference. I’ve been on here saying it worked with Clemson and Dabo but those circumstances were way different. I’d love to seem whoever the new coach is keep Mickey as AHC and let him keep recruiting. He’s proven himself as an ace recruiter
I am worried that we have put ourselves in a HC or he leaves position with Mickey. Not sure how that could have been avoided.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back