• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Feldman on Frost and the massive disorganization

I really wonder if there is "NFL-thinking" going on in terms of tackling in practice ... most NFL teams rarely tackle during the season ... of course these guys are professionals who have elite coaching and training.
This is so spot on. I am a Brazilian Jui Jitsu practitioner. Nothing is a substitute for live contact. We have a saying about invisible jui jitsu. Your body improves to optimize movements to be successful at whatever you are trying to do. Your own biology optimizes itself. I can teach you a million moves, and show them to you. Or I can train one person on the mats for 3 weeks. All things being equal the person who has been on the mats for 3 weeks is going to massacre the person just watching technique.

Feldman went on to say how bad NU's talent level is. Extremely dispiriting.
I would like to know what he means by talent. Because on paper our talent level is better than everyone in the B1G west. But we have not been coaching the kids or giving them the tools they need to excel. To me talent is raw, and unrefined. So, no, our talent level is not bad. It is actually pretty good.

I think a lot of that is S&C and overall development.
The problem with blaming S&C is that you cannot even begin to measure S&C if you have not been practicing against live contact. S&C is largely believed to be in the off season, in the weight room and on the treadmill. IMO we are fine here. The problem is when you get smacked and you have not been practicing getting smacked, it takes something out of you. At this point we just don't have enough information - given what we have learned about the teams practice habits.

Complaining wont fix it, but quick fixes can happen, our guys have gone pro, they relearned quickly.
Two weeks is plenty
I don't know what your stance was, but a LOT of people bought into giving Frost time because the culture was so bad. Two weeks is not near enough.

I would like to know what he means by talent. Because on paper our talent level is better than everyone in the B1G west. But we have not been coaching the kids or giving them the tools they need to excel. To me talent is raw, and unrefined. So, no, our talent level is not bad. It is actually pretty good.

It's true that Feldman didn't provide context to his remark. I tend to agree with you that NU, on paper, has better talent than anyone in the division. It's possible he meant in comparison to national powers. Just hurts to hear a national observer knock the talent level when that's one of the few things that make me optimistic for the future.

The problem with blaming S&C is that you cannot even begin to measure S&C if you have not been practicing against live contact. S&C is largely believed to be in the off season, in the weight room and on the treadmill. IMO we are fine here. The problem is when you get smacked and you have not been practicing getting smacked, it takes something out of you. At this point we just don't have enough information - given what we have learned about the teams practice habits.
You may be right, and I am not an S&C expert by any means. All I see is that in general our players seem to be very good athletes when they are recruited, and then a year or two later they look slower and less athletic compared to their opponents.

It's true that Feldman didn't provide context to his remark. I tend to agree with you that NU, on paper, has better talent than anyone in the division. It's possible he meant in comparison to national powers. Just hurts to hear a national observer knock the talent level when that's one of the few things that make me optimistic for the future.
There is a team that just got to the college football playoff that does not have more talent on paper. I am not saying we are Alabama but from listening to Steve Taylor and others talk about how bad Frost was, I am in the camp to give it time. I love MJ but I don't expect him to have much success this year. He could be the greatest coach on Earth and he is going to have to work hard to get 2 wins.

I don't know what your stance was, but a LOT of people bought into giving Frost time because the culture was so bad. Two weeks is not near enough.
Not sure about the culture issues, some of that was working out, like setting standards and team leadership.
I think many believed it was the overall staff,and even with the changes, most were in doubt or uncertain.
IOW, scheme was seen to be able to work and there lay the hope.

Last edited:

You may be right, and I am not an S&C expert by any means. All I see is that in general our players seem to be very good athletes when they are recruited, and then a year or two later they look slower and less athletic compared to their opponents.
Well lets look at Clements. Clements was a 4 star transfer player. He has not been a starter here and maybe has struggled picking up the system. That said, every time we see him he is performing well enough to start. If you don't build toughness into the program you are not going to get performance. Without testing toughness you cannot actually see who the performers are. Which is why maybe the staff did not realize that Clements is the real deal. But after watching the second half this weekend Clements is the only player on our defense that can tackle.

This is so spot on. I am a Brazilian Jui Jitsu practitioner. Nothing is a substitute for live contact. We have a saying about invisible jui jitsu. Your body improves to optimize movements to be successful at whatever you are trying to do. Your own biology optimizes itself. I can teach you a million moves, and show them to you. Or I can train one person on the mats for 3 weeks. All things being equal the person who has been on the mats for 3 weeks is going to massacre the person just watching technique.
Remind me not to pick a fight with you in the future!

Thanks for posting the link. People need to hear this stuff. This isn't piling on or beating a dead horse. People need to know the truth so they understand why we have been so epically bad. It isn't because Nebraska just sucks and will never be good again, boo hoo hoo like some sad sack fans have been spouting.

It is because we have had horrendous coaching.

Exactly. If Frost was permitted to leave quietly with $15 million and the fans thinking he gave it his all and couldn't right the ship, the narrative would be "if Scott Frost can't do it, nobody can!"

Now it's clear Frost wasn't even really trying to right the ship. It's like Captain Ahab decided the White Wale wasn't worth his time, docked the Pequod in Nantucket, and spent his days boozing with his closest crew members at the Two Headed Dog.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back