• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Feldman on Frost and the massive disorganization

I'm going to willingly grab the "third rail" in this thread. :eek:

I don't recall which thread I read it in, but it's been alleged that Alberts considered, and perhaps wanted to, fire Frost after last season. At that point, allegedly, Tom Osborne entered the picture and the staff changes, cut in salary, and the post-October 1 buyout cut were negotiated.

How much responsibility does Osborne bear in this mess, how much did he know, and why did he allegedly intercede on Frost's behalf? There's stuff come out that, I would like to believe, he wouldn't have tolerated from an assistant coach on his staff.

Last edited:

It is now due to the conditioning and development
Yea
We see guys leaving fully equipped for the NFL.
We see guys that dont live up to their billing so to speak.
Yet we see self starting walkons doing really good things.
So I ask myself, who had more coaching, walkons or scholly players.
Then I ask myself, of the better athletes, why do the self starters who go to next level out number the other highly rated players who are in greater numbers?
Do those walkons do their own workouts? Those self starters?
Not enough coaches for all of them?
The answer is obvious

Good point.

Personally, I was on record that Cam Jurgens would not get drafted nor make it in the pros. I was wrong on both counts

I based this on his lack of dominance in college. Given how he is doing now, the eagles clearly believed rightfully so with good coaching something he never was exposed to to at Nebraska, they had a winner
We have quite a record of evidence that our offensive linemen who do make it to the pros are MUCH better at the next level. Ask yourself why. This staff in particular did no favors to these kids. I feel so bad for them on so many levels.

I don't recall which thread I read it in, but it's been alleged that Alberts considered, and perhaps wanted to, fire Frost after last season. At that point, allegedly, Tom Osborne entered the picture and the staff changes, cut in salary, and the post-October 1 buyout cut were negotiated.

How much responsibility does Osborne bear in this mess, how much did he know, and why did he allegedly intercede on Frost's behalf? There's stuff come out that, I would like to believe, he wouldn't have tolerated from an assistant coach on his staff.
This is probably the underrated part of all this. if you look at some of the major negative junctures of the last 20 years, Osborne has had a hand in them.

Some bad coaching, but horrendous mismanagement for sure.
Again, Chins said we needed one on ones, so there was small attempts, too late attempts to right the ship.
But the overseer top of the football program created/ignored/encouraged bad practices.
And that is why folks need to remove the blinders and their subjectivity and look at the product on the field and ask one simple question: Do these kids look well coached/developed? You don't even have to ask any other question.

If people did that sooner and sentiment turned negative, he would have been gone a while ago. We could have ripped the band-aid off. So frustrating.

This is probably the underrated part of all this. if you look at some of the major negative junctures of the last 20 years, Osborne has had a hand in them.
Spot on!

Last edited:
It's true that Feldman didn't provide context to his remark. I tend to agree with you that NU, on paper, has better talent than anyone in the division. It's possible he meant in comparison to national powers. Just hurts to hear a national observer knock the talent level when that's one of the few things that make me optimistic for the future.
That's why I really don't believe him about talent, we have talent, we have poor coaching apparently. We don't have championship talent but we have enough talent to win consistently. IMO.

And that is why folks need to remove the blinders and their subjectivity and look at the product on the field and ask one simple question: Do these kids look well coached/developed? You don't even have to ask any other question.

If people did that sooner and sentiment turned negative, he would have been gone a while ago. We could have ripped the band-aid off. So frustrating.

Spot on!
Like they said,best coming off the bus, but by third qtr we couldnt compete.
IOW,a teams best players going to get theirs,but it isnt the best player you have to beat, its the whole team.

I really wonder if there is "NFL-thinking" going on in terms of tackling in practice ... most NFL teams rarely tackle during the season ... of course these guys are professionals who have elite coaching and training.
DocTalk Rob Zateska played 6 years in the NFL. He said the focus was more on fundamentals than it was in college. The D was always working on tackling technique.

Heard some talking heads discussing this and I am going to have to recalibrate my expectations of Coach behavior or I will be left with only 2 choices: 1. Find a way to be satisfied with losing or 2. Accept the fact that many very successful coaches behave in a way my Baptist upbringing wouldn’t approve of.

Two of the talking heads played for TO. Sounds like Osborne looked the other way or was at least tolerant of a lot of the personal things that Scott was engaged in.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back