• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where are the rumors about new members?

They may not but it's what they are asking for

With Notre Dame nothing would surprise me

The problem with their proposal is that it would be predicated on their traditional rivalries. At this point it does not look like they will be able to play their traditional rivalries because they will be tied up in conferences that will not have out of conference games. Is the value still there for a NBC if they are not playing USC, Stanford, etc?

The problem with their proposal is that it would be predicated on their traditional rivalries. At this point it does not look like they will be able to play their traditional rivalries because they will be tied up in conferences that will not have out of conference games. Is the value still there for a NBC if they are not playing USC, Stanford, etc?

Very good point

Yeah, I just don't see it. Especially when you consider this is just for 7 football games. The B1G media deal isn't just filling air with football content, but basketball and everything else as well. While the drop off is big after basketball, admittedly, they are still paying for more than just football.

As much as I (and everyone in the country) think Notre Dame needs to be in the B1G, I'd love to see the conference strong-arm them into joining just to see, even if it backfires lol.

Their biggest rivals, USC and Michigan, are in the B1G. They also have long standing annual games already with Michigan State and Purdue. All of their rivals outside of Stanford and Navy will be B1G members.

Tell them if they don't join, they can kiss those teams goodbye off their schedule.

Are they gonna join the SEC instead? With the power those two teams have, they can go to 20+ teams each and take over CFB. Then they can construct a playoff and not let Notre Dame in.

Is Notre Dame ready to say goodbye to playing USC? A team they've been playing since 1926. Hell, they've played Purdue every year since 1946. Michigan and Michigan State have been playing Notre Dame since the freaking late 1800s.

The B1G and SEC could refuse to schedule them, then where do they go? Sure, the leftover teams would jump at playing them, but if the B1G and SEC form their super conferences and have their own playoff, everyone else is gonna be the AFL to their NFL. Actually, that's giving the cast-offs too much cred.

2200DC75-ECBC-4A2D-9F31-C66D6664D27E.jpeg

Notre Dame is hoping to get $75M a year deal with NBC from an article I read yesterday

Which for seven home games is $10M+ a game

If that happens they will not be joining any conference anytime soon

Which I would think would leave the B1G at 16 teams for the near future
I hope they stay Independent. I've never been a fan and the sun does not rise and set on their golden domes. The way this Mega Conference College Football world is turning they will be as insignificant as the rest of the college football teams.

As much as I (and everyone in the country) think Notre Dame needs to be in the B1G, I'd love to see the conference strong-arm them into joining just to see, even if it backfires lol.

Their biggest rivals, USC and Michigan, are in the B1G. They also have long standing annual games already with Michigan State and Purdue. All of their rivals outside of Stanford and Navy will be B1G members.

Tell them if they don't join, they can kiss those teams goodbye off their schedule.

Are they gonna join the SEC instead? With the power those two teams have, they can go to 20+ teams each and take over CFB. Then they can construct a playoff and not let Notre Dame in.

Is Notre Dame ready to say goodbye to playing USC? A team they've been playing since 1926. Hell, they've played Purdue every year since 1946. Michigan and Michigan State have been playing Notre Dame since the freaking late 1800s.

The B1G and SEC could refuse to schedule them, then where do they go? Sure, the leftover teams would jump at playing them, but if the B1G and SEC form their super conferences and have their own playoff, everyone else is gonna be the AFL to their NFL. Actually, that's giving the cast-offs too much cred.
Question is why would the SEC want to squeeze ND? If they did ND joins the B1G, who will take them for sure. Or ND joins the ACC and they get a little stronger. If ND gets frozen out of B1G scheduling they are really only losing USC. They have played Purdue a lot but last year was the 1st time since 2014. They would survive without them.

If the playoff extends to 12 teams why does the SEC want there to be just be two conferences? Figure they would 3-4 teams in a 12 team field. Why not want 3 weaker P5 conferences and an independent ND?

Are any conferences talking about no out of conference games?

You put all the BIG media together with coaches, players, administrative types in one spot and we still don't have any new rumors about additional members, who they might be, when it might happen. I'm disappointed in our media types.

Tom-Hanks-orly.gif

Question is why would the SEC want to squeeze ND? If they did ND joins the B1G, who will take them for sure. Or ND joins the ACC and they get a little stronger. If ND gets frozen out of B1G scheduling they are really only losing USC. They have played Purdue a lot but last year was the 1st time since 2014. They would survive without them.

If the playoff extends to 12 teams why does the SEC want there to be just be two conferences? Figure they would 3-4 teams in a 12 team field. Why not want 3 weaker P5 conferences and an independent ND?
With only 2 conferences staging their own playoff, you are looking at an estimated $1.9B to share between only 40 teams or less . That's why.

You put all the BIG media together with coaches, players, administrative types in one spot and we still don't have any new rumors about additional members, who they might be, when it might happen. I'm disappointed in our media types.
Reading between the lines, I think here is where things stand:

The Big 10 will stand pat with 16 teams unless Notre Dame were to come in. I'm not sure who else they'd take with Notre Dame, but I'd wager there would be maybe one other school at least.

Notre Dame wants $75M from its next NBC deal. Otherwise, it gets harder to justify saying 'no' to the Big 10. NBC has said it wants "shoulder" programming to increase the value of the Notre Dame package (like other conference games before/after Notre Dame), something to increase their advertising revenue.

I think the ticking clock is the Big 10's new media package. They were originally expected to announce it at the media days event this week, but its obviously gotten more complicated and involves an unknown number of smaller packages (Apple TV, etc). But maybe there is a delay to give Notre Dame a window to decide.

The unknown, and something I haven't seen anyone be able to credibly speak to, is the invitation to Notre Dame still open for the current cycle, or did they already say "no thanks"?

Anyone speculating on other teams joining the Big 10 after Notre Dame has said "no" is just blowing smoke. Most every statement we've seen from decision-makers makes it clear they aren't expanding further beyond 16 right now. Personally, I think Notre Dame would have already said yes if they were going to do so. I'm really not sure what their NBC deal is going to command, but I'd lean toward expecting NBC to figure out a way to make that work.

I would suspect they gave ND an expiration date on an offer, knowing they will need at least one more PAC team to help out our newest members. NDs answer will determine who else from the left coast gets a golden ticket.

There has been leaks an agreement was made between USC and UCLA they were not up for any other west coast teams joining the b1g. A good follow on Twitter as he usually is on spot with realignment is @frankthetank111 alot of the articles he posts have hundreds if not thousands of replies. Some speculatory, others educated and in the know.

There has been leaks an agreement was made between USC and UCLA they were not up for any other west coast teams joining the b1g. A good follow on Twitter as he usually is on spot with realignment is @frankthetank111 alot of the articles he posts have hundreds if not thousands of replies. Some speculatory, others educated and in the know.
Also, the numbers have been carefully drawn out, at this point only ND and whoever came along with (most speculate Stanford) would elevate the money per league school for tv rights.

Oregon, Washington, etc would actually lose money.

Forget about the ACC teams, their GOR has been delicately disected by lawyers, if there was a way out, would of already happened.

March Madness is next in play but NCAA has to fall first. Then the basketball bluebloods get drawn up.

The fact no TV deal has been announced is interesting.... ND might be finalizing their deal...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back