• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where are the rumors about new members?

All you naysayers about the leadership in the conference - once again we are seeing them do the impossible. They are negotiating on a major shift in membership without anyone outside those in negotiations knowing about it.

And it's almost been a month since the USC/UCLA announcement. Kudos to Warren and his staff as well as all the conference ADS and presidents. Best to keep such negotiations quiet and off the front page.

On SiriusXM, Neuheisel just said he is hearing Notre Dame is in play for conference realignment.
If they come in for this next cycle, with USC and UCLA, that would be bonkers. Assuming they bring in at least one team to balance the numbers, it’s like everyone else is hunting for Willy Wonka’s golden ticket.

There was talk about Stanford as an inducement for Notre Dame. But say that’s not true. Just on the merits, would they pick UW alone? I have a hard time thinking they’d go to 17 members.

Nebraska really ought to win the West one of these next two seasons, because it’s going to get a hell of a lot harder to make it to the championship game after that!

All you naysayers about the leadership in the conference - once again we are seeing them do the impossible. They are negotiating on a major shift in membership without anyone outside those in negotiations knowing about it.

And it's almost been a month since the USC/UCLA announcement. Kudos to Warren and his staff as well as all the conference ADS and presidents. Best to keep such negotiations quiet and off the front page.
I really don’t know how much of this is Warren’s doing. There was a sense that he was pushed aside and functions more as a figurehead, after the aborted canceled season. The most authoritative public statements have come from OSU’s AD, going back the past year or two.

Warren‘s strong suit is supposed to be media deals, so we’ll see what it ends up being. Goodness, adding Notre Dame would make that package dwarf the SEC’s wildest dreams. Nebraska is very fortunate to be in the Big 10.

A lot of assuming going on in this post. If you honestly believe Warren has anything to do with these moves I have ocean front property in Nebraska for sale (I'll give you the friends and family discount).

Warren came in under-experienced and proved very quickly he was in way over his head. The people behind these moves are the power players with brains, not Warren.

I would never think Warren is negotiating the deal. That's usually not the job of the commissioner on something this important. But he and many members of his staff as well as ADs and their staff (most of whom are not really negotiating the deal either I suspect) as well as presidents and their staff (more of whom are actually in the discussions I suspect) are in the meetings where these things are discussed, and our crowd out here (including me) are bouncing around ideas and hopes and guesses, none of which it seems have a basis in knowledge of what is really going on.

Having been involved in very large deals involving lots of money and prestige that sometimes took months and months to assemble, I know how hard it is to keep everyone "in the room" for thirty days.

But they have done it and for that I think they all should get praise.

I'm not, for example, saying that Warren deserves praise for his public comments during covid times. This is a different page in the book.

Reading between the lines, I think here is where things stand:

The Big 10 will stand pat with 16 teams unless Notre Dame were to come in. I'm not sure who else they'd take with Notre Dame, but I'd wager there would be maybe one other school at least.

Notre Dame wants $75M from its next NBC deal. Otherwise, it gets harder to justify saying 'no' to the Big 10. NBC has said it wants "shoulder" programming to increase the value of the Notre Dame package (like other conference games before/after Notre Dame), something to increase their advertising revenue.

I think the ticking clock is the Big 10's new media package. They were originally expected to announce it at the media days event this week, but its obviously gotten more complicated and involves an unknown number of smaller packages (Apple TV, etc). But maybe there is a delay to give Notre Dame a window to decide.

The unknown, and something I haven't seen anyone be able to credibly speak to, is the invitation to Notre Dame still open for the current cycle, or did they already say "no thanks"?

Anyone speculating on other teams joining the Big 10 after Notre Dame has said "no" is just blowing smoke. Most every statement we've seen from decision-makers makes it clear they aren't expanding further beyond 16 right now. Personally, I think Notre Dame would have already said yes if they were going to do so. I'm really not sure what their NBC deal is going to command, but I'd lean toward expecting NBC to figure out a way to make that work.

to the bold.. you know this how? Oh, you are speculating.. gotcha.

A lot of assuming going on in this post. If you honestly believe Warren has anything to do with these moves I have ocean front property in Nebraska for sale (I'll give you the friends and family discount).

Warren came in under-experienced and proved very quickly he was in way over his head. The people behind these moves are the power players with brains, not Warren.
Warren came in as a possible successor to Goodell in the NFL. What he is doing is leading the Big10 into the future of college athletics which is more of an NFL model. He has a lot to do with what is going on right now. This is why he was the hire. Bigger picture than status quo.

Warren came in as a possible successor to Goodell in the NFL. What he is doing is leading the Big10 into the future of college athletics which is more of an NFL model. He has a lot to do with what is going on right now. This is why he was the hire. Bigger picture than status quo.
No, that isn't why he was hired. He isn't nearly smart enough to be behind the moves.

I read the rest of the thread.. You never addressed my question in any of those post, unless I overlooked something.
I'm not saying the public comments were from me. I'm saying you're quoting me on something where my opinion is already out of date based on public comments from the ADs and conference commissioners. They've had a commissioners meeting in Utah since I posted that, with numerous public comments made. I think a lot of what I said back there is no longer relevant in view of the developing story.

At the time I posted, the only indication we had from public comments was that the Big 10 was done expanding, and they were preparing for a 16 team league. I can't find a single quote before or after their meeting that gives any credence to the notion of adding teams if Notre Dame doesn't come along. I never presented my opinion as fact, but its based on the actual quotes and reports coming from the decision-makers, as opposed to some on Twitter and elsewhere who just draw up their favorite scenario. I don't mind if you call my views speculation. I guess I don't really see what your beef is with what I said. All any of us post on this site is pretty much speculation, isn't it?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back