• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

[Concept] "Bigger" B1G 4-6 Rivalry Scheduling

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Everyone wants to know what a bigger Big Ten would look like, so here's my crack at it.

First, the logistics of realignment. I'm not going to be bothered by conference grants of rights, ACC contracts, media agreements or university presidents and their politicking. Frankly, there's enough money being pulled in by the B1G to negate any of the consequences -- real or imagined -- out there. If you're an ACC team like North Carolina and the Big Ten comes calling with a sweet offer, you'll find a way to make it work, and that's just based on 2022 dollars. God only knows how much money the conference will negotiate in the future. We're in a superpower arms race, so hopefully everyone paid attention in school. Only instead of the USA and USSR, this is a B1G/FOX and SEC/ESPN battle. Money talks, and bigger money talks louder.

Second, selection criteria. The Big Ten is tied at the hip with the AAU and I really don't see that changing. Yes, Nebraska (barely) lost our accreditation but it's not like UNL suddenly fell to the levels of ITT Tech or DeVry. With that being said, I think the likely expansion targets are Notre Dame, Stanford, Virginia, and North Carolina. This pushes the conference to 20 teams.

Conference play is division-less, and follows a 4-6 rivalry model:
  • Each team is guaranteed four rivalry games each season. These do not change, or at least, would likely not change unless the league expanded further. One of my biggest problems with the 3-5-5 type models is that 3 rivalry games are really just too few for some teams.
  • The Big Ten currently plays a nine-game conference schedule, but we're bumping this up to 10 games. Ten Big Games (oh that's clever)! Don't worry, we'll still probably get 3-4 non-conference games to play Colorado or Oklahoma. It won't be long before the demand for more TV inventory lengthens the season to 16 games like the NFL. This means there are 6 more teams to rotate through the schedule each year, out of 15 possible teams.
  • To foster quicker rotations through the 15 "non-rival" teams, there are not home-and-home series in successive years.

This model means that during the course of a four-year college career, a player is guaranteed to play every team in the conference at least once. Of course, players who redshirt or have extra eligibility would experience more. In four years, a player will see:
  • (4) games against four rival schools (2 home, 2 away)
  • (2) games against nine conference opponents (1 home, 1 away)
  • (1) game against the remaining six conference opponents (random home or away)
p1vCUqw.png

To give you a sample of this in action, consider the following Nebraska schedules over a four-year span. Bold/Italic teams only played once.

YearRival TeamsOther Teams
Year 1Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, UCLAUSC, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, North Carolina, Rutgers
Year 2Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, UCLAMaryland, Penn State, Notre Dame, Virginia, Northwestern, Stanford
Year 3Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, UCLAMichigan, Ohio State, Indiana, USC, Michigan State, Illinois
Year 4Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, UCLAPurdue, North Carolina, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Notre Dame

I assume starting at 2024 schedule, right?

BTW, unlikely ND and Tar Heels will join B1G conference. Put Ducks and Huskies instead of ND & NC.

How about 2023 schedule ??

Last edited:
Everyone wants to know what a bigger Big Ten would look like, so here's my crack at it.

First, the logistics of realignment. I'm not going to be bothered by conference grants of rights, ACC contracts, media agreements or university presidents and their politicking. Frankly, there's enough money being pulled in by the B1G to negate any of the consequences -- real or imagined -- out there. If you're an ACC team like North Carolina and the Big Ten comes calling with a sweet offer, you'll find a way to make it work, and that's just based on 2022 dollars. God only knows how much money the conference will negotiate in the future. We're in a superpower arms race, so hopefully everyone paid attention in school. Only instead of the USA and USSR, this is a B1G/FOX and SEC/ESPN battle. Money talks, and bigger money talks louder.

Second, selection criteria. The Big Ten is tied at the hip with the AAU and I really don't see that changing. Yes, Nebraska (barely) lost our accreditation but it's not like UNL suddenly fell to the levels of ITT Tech or DeVry. With that being said, I think the likely expansion targets are Notre Dame, Stanford, Virginia, and North Carolina. This pushes the conference to 20 teams.

Conference play is division-less, and follows a 4-6 rivalry model:
  • Each team is guaranteed four rivalry games each season. These do not change, or at least, would likely not change unless the league expanded further. One of my biggest problems with the 3-5-5 type models is that 3 rivalry games are really just too few for some teams.
  • The Big Ten currently plays a nine-game conference schedule, but we're bumping this up to 10 games. Ten Big Games (oh that's clever)! Don't worry, we'll still probably get 3-4 non-conference games to play Colorado or Oklahoma. It won't be long before the demand for more TV inventory lengthens the season to 16 games like the NFL. This means there are 6 more teams to rotate through the schedule each year, out of 15 possible teams.
  • To foster quicker rotations through the 15 "non-rival" teams, there are not home-and-home series in successive years.

This model means that during the course of a four-year college career, a player is guaranteed to play every team in the conference at least once. Of course, players who redshirt or have extra eligibility would experience more. In four years, a player will see:
  • (4) games against four rival schools (2 home, 2 away)
  • (2) games against nine conference opponents (1 home, 1 away)
  • (1) game against the remaining six conference opponents (random home or away)
p1vCUqw.png

To give you a sample of this in action, consider the following Nebraska schedules over a four-year span. Bold/Italic teams only played once.

YearRival TeamsOther Teams
Year 1Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, UCLAUSC, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, North Carolina, Rutgers
Year 2Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, UCLAMaryland, Penn State, Notre Dame, Virginia, Northwestern, Stanford
Year 3Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, UCLAMichigan, Ohio State, Indiana, USC, Michigan State, Illinois
Year 4Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, UCLAPurdue, North Carolina, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Notre Dame
What is the value add of UVA? Not great football or bball. We already have DC market and they have no national footprint. Duke, NC maybe. That would make the B1G the unarguably best BBall conference. So we would be #2 football conference, #1 bball, #1 wrestling, #1 womens volley ball. Probably throw a few more in like Lacrosse. Lots of year round content for B1G network.

I assume starting at 2024 schedule, right?

BTW, unlikely ND and Tar Heels will join B1G conference. Put Ducks and Huskies instead of ND & NC.

How about 2023 schedule ??

A friend of mine that’s in the know with several ACC coaches and said that North CaRolina and Duke are a combo deal and we won’t just take one or

I think a 3-6-6 schedule format is much more likely. I don't particularly care for it, but they won't want to reduce it down from 9 games due to the network money. And now that the conference is even bigger, more internal games helps spread out the matchups.

Eventually, non-conference games will be extinct. The new "non-con" will just be the 30 B1G teams playing the 30 SEC teams, like NL/AL interleague play or the NFC/AFC.

The B1G and SEC will break off and become NFL Jr.

Eventually, non-conference games will be extinct. The new "non-con" will just be the 30 B1G teams playing the 30 SEC teams, like NL/AL interleague play or the NFC/AFC.

The SCC in the big need to get to about as many teams is there in the AFC in the NFC and use the same format for divisional championships and the college football playoff finalist so what if the college game doesn’t end of the end of January

never gonna happen, saban wont give up his cream puff nov game.

What is the value add of UVA? Not great football or bball. We already have DC market and they have no national footprint. Duke, NC maybe. That would make the B1G the unarguably best BBall conference. So we would be #2 football conference, #1 bball, #1 wrestling, #1 womens volley ball. Probably throw a few more in like Lacrosse. Lots of year round content for B1G network.
I think B1G is already #2 football, #1 wrestling and #1 volleyball.

Arguably they’re #1 in bball but possibly #2 … although what happens to Duke w/o Coach K? Might they go the way of NU after TO?

16 team B1G = Four 4 team pods = AFC
16 team SEC = Four 4 team pods = NFC

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back