• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

[Concept] "Bigger" B1G 4-6 Rivalry Scheduling

And neither are many of our college “student athletes” :Cheers:

Ain't that the truth. These kids aren't students, they're walking marketing assets for the university's brand.

North Carolina got busted making those turdball fake degree tracks for student athletes. Football players were completing bachelor's programs by taking "classes" like web surfing, left-handed puppetry, and budget meal from a vending machine.

And neither are many of our college “student athletes” :Cheers:
That just shows you how old I am. I remember when it was a requirement for a "student/athlete" to attend class, and maintain an average or above GPA. Now, to attend class and get good grades is OK, but don't let it get in the way of some higher up from getting more money.

Before more games get added to the schedule, someone needs to remember the players already have something close to a full time job, also known as being a full time student. I was talking to an older gentleman about scheduling more games when he indicated that playing CFB was like having a full time job. For him, being a student/athlete was a lot like having 2 full time jobs. NIL money will help removing some of the pressure, but not everyone (not even all scholarship players) will be getting big piles of cash. I remember Osborne used to warn about extending the season any further than it already is, taking a toll on players.

Treating CFB like the NFL would be wrong. Most NFL players aren't attending school full time.
Ignoring the question of whether student athletes still are students, when CFB moves to a playoff of 8 or more teams, we will have at least a 16 game season— 12 +CCG + 3 playoff games — for two teams, 15 for 2 others, and 14 for several more. More than half the teams now play 13 games. I think that is plenty of college football.

Ignoring the question of whether student athletes still are students, when CFB moves to a playoff of 8 or more teams, we will have at least a 16 game season— 12 +CCG + 3 playoff games — for two teams, 15 for 2 others, and 14 for several more. More than half the teams now play 13 games. I think that is plenty of college football.
Just curious, will the National Championship game be played in February? On or before the Super Bowl weekend?

Here's a wild thought - there are nine AAU members in that list. Picking up 8 of them would make for a nice balance, and a 4x6 divisional alignment is nice, too.

I'd probably take Stanford - and not Cal - but if the CA Government wants to muck around and force UC-Berkeley (Cal) and UC-LA terms, than you can probably drop Arizona or Colorado and just reshuffle the deck a bit.

It would add ~15 million more TV sets to the B1G footprint, which is basically the same size as NYC/LA/CHI put together.

ABCD
ArizonaColoradoIllinoisDuke
OregonIowaIndianaGeorgia Tech
Cal -or- StanfordMinnesotaMichiganMaryland
UCLANebraskaMichigan StateNorth Carolina
USCNorthwesternOhio StateRutgers
WashingtonWisconsinPurduePenn State

Selfishly, I like a division with Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Colorado annually.
im iffy on arizona, will they be able to bring pheonix? i think that's an ASU market.
agree on cal/stanford, but i say its stanford, their academics are more relevant today then cal's, more recent alum F500/Tech startups then cal.
i do think oregon/wash are in if they take more pac12.
duke/nc are a package deal i guess.
not sold on Gtech, i could see Miami or fsu in this slot
i still think colorado is a huge if, honestly i would rather take a SMU/Houston team for its recruiting base.

the key part is the GOR of the ACC, 2036... duke, gtech, nc are all bound to it. why go for low hanging fruit if FSU/Miami,Clemson are there? that is assuming B1g goes first in raiding ACC. if sec raids first, then the choices are more in line with that scenario

Eventually, non-conference games will be extinct. The new "non-con" will just be the 30 B1G teams playing the 30 SEC teams, like NL/AL interleague play or the NFC/AFC.

The B1G and SEC will break off and become NFL Jr.
I resemble that remark, "NFL Jr." We're not "junior" to anyone, pal!

How about CFP begin at noon on the same day as the Super Bowl and then the SB say, begin at 400 pm
Football double-headers have always been a big hit with me. Also, that would be something better to watch than 4 hours of Super Bowl pregame garbage. :)

Football double-headers have always been a big hit with me. Also, that would be something better to watch than 4 hours of Super Bowl pregame garbage. :)

When the B1G and SEC get to 20-24-30 teams, they'll be able to stage their own divisional playoffs with the top 4-6 teams in the conference.

Picture a New Year's Eve semi-final round at the Rose Bowl, where you have a double header of Ohio State-USC at noon, and Penn State-Michigan game at 5pm. Winners advance to B1G CCG.

Then the SEC does the same thing the next day on Jan 1, with the Sugar Bowl, and an Alabama-Oklahoma game at noon, and Georgia-LSU at 5pm. Winners advance to SEC CCG.

It prints it's own money.

When the B1G and SEC get to 20-24-30 teams, they'll be able to stage their own divisional playoffs with the top 4-6 teams in the conference.

Picture a New Year's Eve semi-final round at the Rose Bowl, where you have a double header of Ohio State-USC at noon, and Penn State-Michigan game at 5pm. Winners advance to B1G CCG.

Then the SEC does the same thing the next day on Jan 1, with the Sugar Bowl, and an Alabama-Oklahoma game at noon, and Georgia-LSU at 5pm. Winners advance to SEC CCG.

I like it. That is by far the best option I have heard of so far!

As for "it prints its own money", unless you want dollar bills with Kevin Warren's picture on them, I suggest we let the U.S. mint print the money and we get the bills from them. ;)

And when a 3 loss Penn State upsets tOSU in the B1G CCG, the National championship game will be a repeat of the Alabama-Georgia SEC CCG. Some things won’t change.

It prints it's own money

I like it. That is by far the best option I have heard of so far!

As for "it prints its own money", unless you want dollar bills with Kevin Warren's picture on them, I suggest we let the U.S. mint print the money and we get the bills from them. ;)
I don't want the same old, same old teams from the BIG and SEC just reloading for the CFP. I am going to pull one out of my fur hat and recommend the NCAA rules change that any team that has been in the CFP 1 year, they cannot return year 2. But they could return year 3, etc.

I don't want the same old, same old teams from the BIG and SEC just reloading for the CFP. I am going to pull one out of my fur hat and recommend the NCAA rules change that any team that has been in the CFP 1 year, they cannot return year 2. But they could return year 3, etc.

I get that you don't want to see 19 more Alabama titles, but this kind of rule would have prevented both Devaney and Osborne from repeating in 1970-71 and 1994-95.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back