• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

Lincoln, NE to New Brunswick, NJ about 1300 miles Lincoln, NE to Los Angles, CA 1500 miles! Not much of a travel difference as the Huskers are already traveling almost as far as playing in NJ as they will playing in LA. Where teams travel now is really irrelevant imo. I'll bet many of our players would love to play in CA in late Nov and early Dec. Heck we're going overseas this year!
I can’t wait for Lincoln Riley to bring his high powered air assault to Lincoln, MSP, Madison or ICity in November.

Yes, beach boys in Lansing in the winter. Still, I've always thought passing attacks generally are more bothered by wind than temperature
Old Vikings games turned into 3 yards and a cloud of frost when played at the old Met stadium. And this was against seasoned vets.
The qb grip and the ball coming into wrs hands are different, things newby college players have to accustom themselves quickly to.

I don't think the Big Ten conference owns the BTN network. I think that is owned directly or indirectly by Fox and they plan, I think, to sell off selected games to the networks and even to ESPN occasionally.

The business of this is very complicated but it is driving the decisions as much as old school ties, national prestige, etc.

Not sure if this has been said, but the Big Ten owns 49% of the BTN. This is why we had a buy in when we joined the conference.

Yes, beach boys in Lansing in the winter. Still, I've always thought passing attacks generally are more bothered by wind than temperature

Yep. You've got to get really cold before the passing game has a significant impact (frozen ball becomes harder). November is typically not yet "really cold" in the Midwest. Not like when the NFL is playing in Green Bay in January. Passing still generally operates in the NFL just fine mid-winter.

I think the idea of USC and UCLA struggling to operate their offense in the Midwest in November is likely overblown. Could there be a cold, windy, maybe even snowy game ahead for them? Sure. But could also be 55 degrees and sunny. It's not January -- not even December.

I agree wind (and even precipitation) is more of a threat to a passing game than temperatures.

Last edited:

Yep. You've got to get really cold before the passing game has a significant impact (frozen ball becomes harder). November is typically not yet "really cold" in the Midwest. Not like when the NFL is playing in Green Bay in January. Passing still generally operates in the NFL just fine mid-winter.

I think the idea of USC and UCLA struggling to operate their offense in the Midwest in November is likely overblown. Could there be a cold, windy, maybe even snowy game ahead for them? Sure. But could also be 55 degrees and sunny. It's not January -- not even December.

I agree wind (and even precipitation) is more of a threat to a passing game than temperatures.

5ugl14.jpg

Last edited:
Kinda bums me out we're talking market share and cable channel subscriptions on a football board. Not bashing those who are; I get it. It's the topic du jour. I just think it's sad the greatest game ever invented has been reduced to kowtowing to network executives who don't give a wit about the game other than its profit potential.

I definitely get that. I find conference expansion fascinating, and to understand it, you need to follow the money. But yeah, it's business not football.

Quoting myself here ... ;)

Look at Ohio State last year in November games...

CJ Stroud passing yardage:

Nov 8 (at Nebraska): 405 yards
Nov 15 (Purdue): 361 yards
Nov 22 (Michigan St): 432 yards
Nov 29 (at Michigan): 394 yards

TD-INT combined in November games: 15 TD passes, 2 INTs.

Stroud is a native Southern Californian, and those were his first games playing in the Midwest in November. He was averaging about 400 yards passing and 4 TDs per November game last year.

USC and Caleb Williams is a reasonable comparison with Stroud. No, doesn't mean Williams will put up numbers like that. But it also doesn't mean, "oh no, November, I'm going to suck playing in the cold!"

Last edited:
The B1G is stupid if they are even lightly considering BYU. there is ZERO upside to adding them. Horrible for scheduling, insular fan base, small market, zero appeal to anyone outside of their footprint/religion. Apart from an undeserved title 4 decades ago, they have been completely irrelevant.

I wish the rest of CFB would just freeze out Notre Dame and let them die a quick painful death in obscurity.

Quoting myself here ... ;)

Look at Ohio State last year in November games...

CJ Stroud passing yardage:

Nov 8 (at Nebraska): 405 yards
Nov 15 (Purdue): 361 yards
Nov 22 (Michigan St): 432 yards
Nov 29 (at Michigan): 394 yards

TD-INT combined in November games: 15 TD passes, 2 INTs.

Stroud is a native Southern Californian, and those were his first games playing in the Midwest in November. He was averaging about 400 yards passing and 4 TDs per November game last year.

USC and Caleb Williams is a reasonable comparison with Stroud. No, doesn't mean Williams will put up numbers like that. But it also doesn't mean, "oh no, November, I'm going to suck playing in the cold!"

61053377.jpg

5punix.gif

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back