• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What an enormous upgrade!

So....I will caution you that while I loved Donovan and being the Philly guy I am, he was wildly inconsistent. Worm burners, throwing over receivers' heads by 10 feet, etc. He totally gagged in the SB (figuratively and literally) vs the Pats. He did have a solid defense and Westbrook to bail him out. But come on...Verdu was wasted space and $$$

How do you reconcile Rapelisberger early in his career and Pickett?
His time with McNabb was brief and his stats were almost identical to every other year in his career. You're trying way too hard here. Roethlisberger was an outstanding QB coming out of college too. Whipple worked with him for two years as a pro. Yeah he gets credit, but Ben was already really good coming into the league. He did a masterful job with Pickett, but his two years as OC there are what everyone is pointing to. That's the body of work that really matters which is thin. Hopefully it works.

His time with McNabb was brief and his stats were almost identical to every other year in his career. You're trying way too hard here. Roethlisberger was an outstanding QB coming out of college too. Whipple worked with him for two years as a pro. Yeah he gets credit, but Ben was already really good coming into the league. He did a masterful job with Pickett, but his two years as OC there are what everyone is pointing to. That's the body of work that really matters which is thin. Hopefully it works.
All valid reasons to be skeptical he will lead our offense to the next level, but definitely not evidence that he won't. I don't think the spring game will answer many questions either. August is when we will get our first real glimpse, and that feels like a decade from now.

All valid reasons to be skeptical he will lead our offense to the next level, but definitely not evidence that he won't. I don't think the spring game will answer many questions either. August is when we will get our first real glimpse, and that feels like a decade from now.

Agree.

Spring is going to be vanilla with some sprinkles.

If I'm Frost and Whipple, you're going to see 10% of the playbook and nothing special. The very basics and that's it.

Why would we give Fitz anything worth looking at in April? Make him wonder.

Actually I'm not and you are. Rapelisberger was very raw coming out of college. Good but clearly he was developed. Pickett was developed and is our most recent sample.

Verdu developed nobody and Milton was in an all offense conference.

It seems like we have a lot of guys who're either not reading coverages the same way and running the opposite route Martinez thought he saw as the read or in cases like this, balls under thrown (we did it a lot on purpose it seemed) and guys not coming back for it or fighting for it. It Toures case, he was so much better than his opponent at the FCS level, I don't think he had to develop some of those 'possession skills'. The rest of the room, save for one play by Manning and I can't even tell you what game it was in, really just let the ball come to them. Again, accurate throws help tremendously, but the ball is yours. Go get the damned thing. Austin Allen treated it like it was his.
Absolutely agree. Own the ball. I used to hate the days playing Florida state receivers. Sometimes I swear they were under throwing on purpose. Instead of letting the ball fall into their hands or get knocked away they’d stop and go up for it as our defenders would run on by.

Absolutely agree. Own the ball. I used to hate the days playing Florida state receivers. Sometimes I swear they were under throwing on purpose. Instead of letting the ball fall into their hands or get knocked away they’d stop and go up for it as our defenders would run on by.

That's been a purposeful technique for a few years now. Makes me even happier I wasn't a DB. Makes you wonder when you see a 'bad throw' get picked, if it was supposed to be something altogether different and the throw was right where it was supposed to be.

Another thing that I've seen in Pitt film. They throw to spots a lot more than we did. How much of that is confidence in your QB, the QB's confidence in his WR's or an overall philosophy by the OC?

McNabb had already been in the league for years by then lol. Whipple had a more direct influence on Brandon Weeden who lost his starting job after his first year than he did McNabb and I wouldn't use Vedral's career as a resume booster for Verduzco either considering his best year was his junior year at Rutgers where he threw 9 TD's and 8 ints as a part time starter.
I think Philly believes I was propping up Verduzco. Was it too difficult to figure out that I was only saying we heard the same sunshine pumping for the QB Whisperer that we are hearing from Wipple? That is until he became one of the many Frost whipping boys. The list keeps getting longer and more distinguished. @Phillysker

Wow this thread has gotten interesting. So now we’re comparing the quarterbacks they have directly coached. Cigar boy definitely loses in that argument but it’s not like Whippit had developed a lot. We shall see. I will just sit back and wait because I have no freaking clue.
My two greatest hopes with MW is he will instill in qb sound fundamentals which never happened in SF four years. AM in year four continued to have pathetic form in how he carried the ball, stepping into a pass and his famous side arm passes

Second, is MW will call the plays which means SF isn’t.

If these two things occur there will be improvement on offense but as most have said who knows if we finally play to our talent level

If you are red flagging a coach for not having what you perceive as enough time in P-5, ok. But as you note, Lubick has 16, and that availed? Walters 10 years translated to what? Thus I submit that as a barometer, where one has coached matters not at all once the clock starts, and we tickin'.
I wonder if the Bears asked Raiola how many P-5 seasons he had when they hired him?
Or maybe place blame at the foot of the guy that is the actual OC. Last I checked Frost called the plays during the Walter’s tenure. It was claimed that Lubick called some later during his. Do you know what either OC did to move or stall the offense if they weren’t calling the plays?

Agree.

Spring is going to be vanilla with some sprinkles.

If I'm Frost and Whipple, you're going to see 10% of the playbook and nothing special. The very basics and that's it.

Why would we give Fitz anything worth looking at in April? Make him wonder.
I'd use the spring game to get everyone reps running the base plays, wouldn't show much more than that. The oohs and aahs are fun, but we need to get a lot better at fundamentals and a live scrimmage is a good opportunity for that.

My two greatest hopes with MW is he will instill in qb sound fundamentals which never happened in SF four years. AM in year four continued to have pathetic form in how he carried the ball, stepping into a pass and his famous side arm passes

Second, is MW will call the plays which means SF isn’t.

If these two things occur there will be improvement on offense but as most have said who knows if we finally play to our talent level
I agree with both of your hopes.

And then I think if those two things are accomplished, what are we keeping Frost around for?

And then I think if those two things are accomplished, what are we keeping Frost around for?
I think there are three reasons why he is back.
1. He agreed to reduced buyout
2. The overused he a husker legend which a pathetic reason
3. This would have been an awful year for us to hire a head coach given the many high profile open positions

Of the three I can support a SF year five based on reason #3

I'd use the spring game to get everyone reps running the base plays, wouldn't show much more than that. The oohs and aahs are fun, but we need to get a lot better at fundamentals and a live scrimmage is a good opportunity for that.

Lot's of the things that will be the basics of the offense that could likely easily be determined by many of us. Keep it simple and make them learn to walk again first.

I had figured someone would voice this opinion at some point this coming fall if it all got turned around and the team started rolling. Surprised it's this early though.

If they stink next year, he's gone and I think pretty much everyone is on board with that. If they do well, he shouldn't get any of the credit, had to bring in someone else to handle the heavy lifting and should likely be gone anyway. So in reality there is nothing Frost can do to earn his remaining at the position, in your opinion. Am I understanding that correctly?

I had figured someone would voice this opinion at some point this coming fall if it all got turned around and the team started rolling. Surprised it's this early though.

If they stink next year, he's gone and I think pretty much everyone is on board with that. If they do well, he shouldn't get any of the credit, had to bring in someone else to handle the heavy lifting and should likely be gone anyway. So in reality there is nothing Frost can do to earn his remaining at the position, in your opinion. Am I understanding that correctly?
He has styled himself as the offense guy. He calls the plays; he designs the offense. He has told the press he does not work with the defense; that is the prerogative of his DC.

I had not considered denying him credit if we win. I suppose that argument could be made, but I’m more of a buck stops at the top kinda guy; which is why I thought it was lame/sad that everyone that wasn’t ultimately responsible for Husker failures got fired except for the guy that was responsible.

In the event the Huskers win 9 games next year, absolutely he deserves the credit.

I predict we will go 6-6, the masses will call it progress, he will get extended and we are caught in some sort of Hell Loop where we go 4-8/5-7/6-6/7-5 for the next two decades.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back