• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What an enormous upgrade!

He'll likely be a mentor to Frost and the younger coaches and players. I think Joseph will do exactly that with the attitude in theWR room.

Stanley Morgan was the last guy we had that was going to fight you tooth and nail for the ball. We need that kind of attitude to be the rule, not the exception.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for as well and I agree with you on Joseph. He has an excellent track record with a position group long known for big personalities. I think Greg Austin was a tough guy as well so I don't know how much Raiola is an upgrade in that area, but we definitely needed a change there. He clearly knows the position. Hopefully he's able to teach it to younger less experienced people than he's used to working with.

Ok I stand corrected. I was generalizing it to the northeast. Most of his career was spent at The likes of Brown, St Augustine, Umass, New Hampshire and New Haven. Only 5 of his 42 years of experience have been in P5. That’s about 12 percent. And those only in ACC.

By comparison, Matt Lubick has 16 years in power 5 experience and Troy Walters 10 years. So yes my red flags are still up and it is why I’m not in as much agreement with the OP and was specifically asked to clarify in post 33. I have tried to support it with some reasoning and facts that a certain poster wants to ignore in favor of his beliefs. I’m fine with that. I just wish if he asked for my clarification he wouldn’t use a drunk as my source of information.
If you are red flagging a coach for not having what you perceive as enough time in P-5, ok. But as you note, Lubick has 16, and that availed? Walters 10 years translated to what? Thus I submit that as a barometer, where one has coached matters not at all once the clock starts, and we tickin'.
I wonder if the Bears asked Raiola how many P-5 seasons he had when they hired him?

Gotta love Frost is now going for mega competition at every position (at the urging of Trev?). Seems about 4 years late.

The one decision that would have turned everything around was followed by this quote that will live in NU infamy - ‘you think he’s better than what we’ve got?’

That's exactly what I'm hoping for as well and I agree with you on Joseph. He has an excellent track record with a position group long known for big personalities. I think Greg Austin was a tough guy as well so I don't know how much Raiola is an upgrade in that area, but we definitely needed a change there. He clearly knows the position. Hopefully he's able to teach it to younger less experienced people than he's used to working with.

You hear Joseph in interviews and you know he's going to be up backsides in practice. You're going to be taught and you're going to perform. That's it.

I honestly can't figure our why we floundered so badly aside from Jurgens, Corcoran and Teddy before he was hurt. I don't know if our schemes are messing with their heads and they're not able to perform or if incorrectly using the talents of the kids we bring in. I was one of those who thought by the end of this year the O line would be the strength of the offense and that just never happened. Teddy P got hurt, but prior to the season he wasn't even a kid I thought would be a major factor. I don't know how much of any of that is Austin and like you, I have no idea how much Raiola will be able to correct in one Spring and one Fall.

I'm excited about the hires, because the alternative is to be miserable about our performance since 2016. I don't operate that way, so I'm looking forward to seeing what Whipple, Joseph, Raiola, Applewhite and Busch can do with what I think is a legit B1G West roster.

If you are red flagging a coach for not having what you perceive as enough time in P-5, ok. But as you note, Lubick has 16, and that availed? Walters 10 years translated to what? Thus I submit that as a barometer, where one has coached matters not at all once the clock starts, and we tickin'.
I wonder if the Bears asked Raiola how many P-5 seasons he had when they hired him?

Very fair.

This comment is really directed at all of us, but we shouldn't be unhappy about someone saying 'I have concerns because......' or 'I'm thrilled about the hire because.....' as that is really the nature of what this entire board is supposed to be about.

I have a hard time thinking calling any of these hires successes or failures on January 16th, 2022 is reasonable at all.

they hired him as an assistant line coach. Not the head line coach.

As for the Offensive Coordinator changes. I’m basing my red flags on many claims of how successful and experienced many are claiming. Lubick could be argued to have the better quality resume and we know he didn’t work.

Gotta love Frost is now going for mega competition at every position (at the urging of Trev?). Seems about 4 years late.

The one decision that would have turned everything around was followed by this quote that will live in NU infamy - ‘you think he’s better than what we’ve got?’
in Scott Frosts defense he approached Trev on the firings. It was not a condition on any part by Trev.

Very fair.

This comment is really directed at all of us, but we shouldn't be unhappy about someone saying 'I have concerns because......' or 'I'm thrilled about the hire because.....' as that is really the nature of what this entire board is supposed to be about.

I have a hard time thinking calling any of these hires successes or failures on January 16th, 2022 is reasonable at all.
exactly. It’s just discussion at this point.

Regardless of what someone thinks about Whipple as an OC or Frost as a play caller, we don't know what their combined offense will look like or how the play calling will really go. Throw in new WR, RB, and OL coaches, and a new starting QB, and nobody knows what the offense will look like next season. As someone who is really skeptical of SF I'm willing to wait and see how the offense changes pan out before ruling them a failure.

Hope everyone is staying warm on a frigid sunday :)

Very fair.

100% agree

He'll likely be a mentor to Frost and the younger coaches and players. I think Joseph will do exactly that with the attitude in theWR room.

Stanley Morgan was the last guy we had that was going to fight you tooth and nail for the ball. We need that kind of attitude to be the rule, not the exception.
. Great post. As much as we were liking some of our receivers talent last year they were poor reception receivers. I know most won’t agree with this but watching Torres route here was what led to the AM interception against Michigan state. He steps backward away from the ball the last second instead of going to get it allowing the defender to step into it. Worst case would have been pass interference. Not the best angle but About the 45 second mark.

McNabb had already been in the league for years by then lol. Whipple had a more direct influence on Brandon Weeden who lost his starting job after his first year than he did McNabb and I wouldn't use Vedral's career as a resume booster for Verduzco either considering his best year was his junior year at Rutgers where he threw 9 TD's and 8 ints as a part time starter.
So....I will caution you that while I loved Donovan and being the Philly guy I am, he was wildly inconsistent. Worm burners, throwing over receivers' heads by 10 feet, etc. He totally gagged in the SB (figuratively and literally) vs the Pats. He did have a solid defense and Westbrook to bail him out. But come on...Verdu was wasted space and $$$

How do you reconcile Rapelisberger early in his career and Pickett?

Last edited:

I’m not sure on this one. I wish I knew more about our line play. I suspect several things. I hate their attempts at zone blocking. Scheme or technique? I don’t know. Way too many whiffs where guard and center double up on a guy and a second lineman or linebacker come through untouched. Is this by design? Are the players screwing up? Is the line coach designing the offensive blocking schemes or is it done in the Scott frost offense.

To answer your first question I would have gone after someone other than Donovan. Someone who has been a proven head line coach at a level above Aurora State. He was assistant at Chicago and graduate assistant at Notre Dame. I think it’s a huge risk. Just my opinion though.
I think this is a nod to Dominic and a better shot at Dylan. Yes it's a shot. Raoila name carries a lot of weight. And maybe it's to backfill for losing Tuioti to maintain a Polynesian connection. I don't know but to me Austin was extremely disappointing. I think we have talent there but I think the scheme sucked

Wow this thread has gotten interesting. So now we’re comparing the quarterbacks they have directly coached. Cigar boy definitely loses in that argument but it’s not like Whippit had developed a lot. We shall see. I will just sit back and wait because I have no freaking clue.

. Great post. As much as we were liking some of our receivers talent last year they were poor reception receivers. I know most won’t agree with this but watching Torres route here was what led to the AM interception against Michigan state. He steps backward away from the ball the last second instead of going to get it allowing the defender to step into it. Worst case would have been pass interference. Not the best angle but About the 45 second mark.

It seems like we have a lot of guys who're either not reading coverages the same way and running the opposite route Martinez thought he saw as the read or in cases like this, balls under thrown (we did it a lot on purpose it seemed) and guys not coming back for it or fighting for it. It Toures case, he was so much better than his opponent at the FCS level, I don't think he had to develop some of those 'possession skills'. The rest of the room, save for one play by Manning and I can't even tell you what game it was in, really just let the ball come to them. Again, accurate throws help tremendously, but the ball is yours. Go get the damned thing. Austin Allen treated it like it was his.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back