• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What an enormous upgrade!

Or maybe place blame at the foot of the guy that is the actual OC. Last I checked Frost called the plays during the Walter’s tenure. It was claimed that Lubick called some later during his. Do you know what either OC did to move or stall the offense if they weren’t calling the plays?
I've no idea how one makes such determinations as I dont have any insight into the mechanisms of practice that absolutely translate to gameday. I hear many decry play calling by Frost, and while not educated well enough to know whether such criticisms are valid, I hold the belief that simply observing a play not work is not necessarily evidence of a bad call. While I don't claim knowledge, I do claim the issue as complex.
What I can say with certainty is that Frost has had significant success calling plays. That he may or may not have here is immaterial. He isn't surrendering play calling because he's a dolt, he does so to free himself to tend to more global issues. But as Whipple as expressed respect for Frost's offensive acumen, it only stands to reason that there is similarity in football intellect.
I think it a mistake to see offensive structure and use as an either/or scenario, rather than the amalgam to two bright people whom both view as paramount the idea of "what works."

Last edited:
He has styled himself as the offense guy. He calls the plays; he designs the offense. He has told the press he does not work with the defense; that is the prerogative of his DC.

I had not considered denying him credit if we win. I suppose that argument could be made, but I’m more of a buck stops at the top kinda guy; which is why I thought it was lame/sad that everyone that wasn’t ultimately responsible for Husker failures got fired except for the guy that was responsible.

In the event the Huskers win 9 games next year, absolutely he deserves the credit.

I predict we will go 6-6, the masses will call it progress, he will get extended and we are caught in some sort of Hell Loop where we go 4-8/5-7/6-6/7-5 for the next two decades.
Gotta say, if the guy at the top is responsible for all that occurs below, that responsibility is manifested in only by two means: either he gets people to do stuff, or he does the stuff himself. Your prescription, the head must roll, indicates your philosophy of the latter. Everything I have heard from Frost indicates him as an empowering type, not a micro-manager.
Thus I submit, the error Frost made was holding on to previously, marvelously successful coaches too long, and not in firing himself.

He has styled himself as the offense guy. He calls the plays; he designs the offense. He has told the press he does not work with the defense; that is the prerogative of his DC.

I had not considered denying him credit if we win. I suppose that argument could be made, but I’m more of a buck stops at the top kinda guy; which is why I thought it was lame/sad that everyone that wasn’t ultimately responsible for Husker failures got fired except for the guy that was responsible.

In the event the Huskers win 9 games next year, absolutely he deserves the credit.

I predict we will go 6-6, the masses will call it progress, he will get extended and we are caught in some sort of Hell Loop where we go 4-8/5-7/6-6/7-5 for the next two decades.

He certainly did all of that. If think a lot of HC's shy away from being coordinators so they're not so in the weeds with one side of the ball or another. Most of them have a strength and dabble/assist, but handing it over and having general oversight seems to be the better path forward.

I agree to an extent on the handling of the previous staff and their ultimate departures. Likely should have pulled the trigger earlier.

We're in agreement on the potential successes for '22. Win and he's going to get a pat on the back

While 6-6 will likely be looked at as progress and a case could likely be made that it is, I won't be happy with it, nor would I be happy with the Missouri type of up and down mediocrity you're afraid of. At this point we have to improve to get there, but I understand the point.

Let's hope we're looking at 8+ wins this fall and arguing about who deserves credit. We win eight and we'll be bowling and in a much better place.....I think.

Gotta say, if the guy at the top is responsible for all that occurs below, that responsibility is manifested in only by two means: either he gets people to do stuff, or he does the stuff himself. Your prescription, the head must roll, indicates your philosophy of the latter. Everything I have heard from Frost indicates him as an empowering type, not a micro-manager.
Thus I submit, the error Frost made was holding on to previously, marvelously successful coaches too long, and not in firing himself.
I’ve taken the Crab pledge, so I’m trying to express myself as respectfully as possible.

Frost himself said he was in charge of the offense; both play calling and overall offensive strategy. The delegation he does is delegating all of defense and all of special teams.

I also know he micro manages; allowing position coaches to set depth chart at their position, then swooping in on Saturday morning and changing the depth chart, most notably with offensive line.

The error, imo, was the AD not firing the HC.

I’ve taken the Crab pledge, so I’m trying to express myself as respectfully as possible.

Frost himself said he was in charge of the offense; both play calling and overall offensive strategy. The delegation he does is delegating all of defense and all of special teams.

I also know he micro manages; allowing position coaches to set depth chart at their position, then swooping in on Saturday morning and changing the depth chart, most notably with offensive line.

The error, imo, was the AD not firing the HC.
So you are saying he had offensive coaches he didn't trust to do the job, are you not?

I think the comparison that fits Frost exactly is Jim Walden.
Walden was a Devaney Quarterback at Wyoming. and then an assistant at Nebraska for both National Championships.
Walden had a nice run at Washington State, and then took the Iowa State job. He got a winning season in his third season there. And then hung on with a bunch of mediocre seasons. He recruited Troy Davis and in Davis's freshman season the wheels fell off and ISU went 0-10-1.

Frost tenure here will end with an o-10-1. You can feel it coming.

I think Philly believes I was propping up Verduzco. Was it too difficult to figure out that I was only saying we heard the same sunshine pumping for the QB Whisperer that we are hearing from Wipple? That is until he became one of the many Frost whipping boys. The list keeps getting longer and more distinguished. @Phillysker
Difference is Whip has done it in pros and in college. Whereas Verdu did it, um, nowhere.

Agree.

Spring is going to be vanilla with some sprinkles.

If I'm Frost and Whipple, you're going to see 10% of the playbook and nothing special. The very basics and that's it.

Why would we give Fitz anything worth looking at in April? Make him wonder.
Has all the fun he needs from Pitt

Difference is Whip has done it in pros and in college. Whereas Verdu did it, um, nowhere.
Not always was he successful. And by the way Coach V spent the last 25 years at the FBS level schools. Probably more than whipple. Now successful can be argued.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back