• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Texas QB Casey Thompson Enters Transfer Portal; Update On Campus Visiting

If Thompson signs and has a year that springs him into the NFL . . . I'll take it. That would be a pretty good year and Frost buys more time.

But even if he has a decent year 1 with a bowl followed by a really good year, that would be phenomenal. Give one of the younger guys a chance to develop in that time.
Spot on.

Why would it be unwise to pursue Purdy if he has been told the truth and yet still wants to come?

Thompson comes in with a lot of experience and Purdy with little to no resume

As long as they both know what is what that's all that matters

What are we assuming Purdy has been told?

The truth about Thompson and that we want to bring two QBs in

Where they see them both etc

Look he has no resume so very unlikely many schools would bring him in to start

He has a chance to learn under Whip and develop and eventually become the starter in a year or two
It is feasible, however, that Purdy would be coming in to compete for the starting job, correct? Here or anywhere he elects to transfer to. Nebraska wants competitive QBs - Alphas - to be interested in its program.

I get the candor about bringing in 2 QBs, and it is right for the staff to be up front about such a strategy especially as that appears to be wide open in the media, but let's not assume one guy would relent the job to another before either of them get on campus.

It is feasible, however, that Purdy would be coming in to compete for the starting job, correct? Here or anywhere he elects to transfer to. Nebraska wants competitive QBs - Alphas - to be interested in its program.

I get the candor about bringing in 2 QBs, and it is right for the staff to be up front about such a strategy especially as that appears to be wide open in the media, but let's not assume one guy would relent the job to another before either of them get on campus.

I hope everybody is competing for the starting job. That goes without saying

With that being said it would be Thompson's job to lose and his experience etc favor his chance of starting

Sure it could change without a doubt as we both know

What are we assuming Purdy has been told?
He can at least see the same speculation we have, and probably has more inside info, so I'm not too worried about him being blind-sided, if that's what you meant. And it isn't his first transfer either IIRC.

I have no doubt you are correct. But he was 4-6 last year as a starter with recruiting classes in top 10 surrounding him. What makes him different than what we have had the last 4 year? Asking for a friend.
Whipple, Joseph, Railoa, 2 kickers, a punter, a special teams coach (hopefully) and a cultural belief they can win along with a ‘nothing to lose’ mentality.

Agree. And as I read your post, it occurred to me - didn't Whipple have to assure Purdy that Whip would be at Nebraska long enough to see thru Purdy's developmental process? I'm wondering what the nature of that conversation was like. Or maybe it was just "they need us here - let's be the heros and turn this thing around."

I have no doubt you are correct. But he was 4-6 last year as a starter with recruiting classes in top 10 surrounding him. What makes him different than what we have had the last 4 year? Asking for a friend.
Sometimes when things are stagnant, it you are trying to get over the hump, small changes could make a big difference. Thompson and AM might be similar, Thompson may be a better thrower and AM a better runner. That doesn't mean they will have the same results, but it doesn't mean they will have different results either.

I guess then, to answer your question, is that people knew what we were getting with AM, but there is hope Thompson could get us over the hump.

Agree. And as I read your post, it occurred to me - didn't Whipple have to assure Purdy that Whip would be at Nebraska long enough to see thru Purdy's developmental process? I'm wondering what the nature of that conversation was like. Or maybe it was just "they need us here - let's be the heros and turn this thing around."
Yes, I believe with the addition of these new coaches, recruitment of specific players who can contribute right away, the alpha personalities at QB position - all feeds into what you just said - that they believe they are the people who can turn the ship around.

I was kind of wondering the same until I watched his highlights. I'm no expert but his movement in and out of the pocket looks nothing like AM to me. He seemed to always be a half step or half second away from getting his feet set and firing the ball. Under pressure, he appears to have the ability to keep the rush in his peripheral vision and keep his eyes downfield. I hope my amateur eyes aren't deceiving me.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back