• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mark Whipple for OC?

I've probably watched more Mark Whipple coached games than anyone on this site. I really like him, but not for Lincoln and definitely not for the B1G. He is always the first to move away from establishing the run. You can look at pass/run splits, but when push comes to shove, he defaults to the air game. Playing in the B12 or P12, I can see his offense working nicely. But if anyone on this board is going to tell you he is balanced in his approach when it matters most, they are mistaken. His rushing offenses are always mid to low tier and the style played would not be considered physical at all. Now, if you are one of those folks who wants to chuck it all over Lincoln, then you got your man.

And lets not forget he is a terrible recruiter. Always has been. Struggled mightily. He could have had a powerhouse (for that level) at UMass, but he's not very motivated on the trail. If he is hired, I assume Scott will not be leaning on him for that, which I think is a mistake. Being at DONU, you need all hands on deck in the recruiting efforts. We don't live in Florida.
Valid points- but don’t you think Frost/Trev/etc also know all this? They don’t live/work under a rock.

It would be really nice if our OC is responsible for recruiting more than one player each year. Verdu was the QB coach. Whipple would be QB and OC. Big, big difference.
Your assistant coaching staff typically does the heavy lifting for the coordinators, but point taken.

Need a closer more than a road dog these days. Recruiting is changing, and I’m not sure if we’ve all caught up as to how or how soon.

Listen, is he the worst hire? Absolutely not. I truly think he is a step up from what we've had.

Besides the recruiting concerns, I feel as though he is going to have to adjust his offense/philosophy to the B1G, not the other way around. Whipple doesn't have time to "learn on the job."

Now, he is a seasoned guy and hopefully he understands that changes will be needed to be successful in this league. It just makes me nervous.

But hell, I'll go into this cheering him on, especially considering I've watched a few seasons worth of live Whipple football. I'm a fan of his personally and it would be a great story if he is successful here.

Now lets see if he is actually signed, sealed, and delivered.

Last edited:
He might be able to sell his work with Kenny Pickett and this year's Pitt offense to get a pretty good transfer portal QB.
Well, things are going to have to change for him because this will actually require him to recruit. I'm sure there is an agreement that he has Verdu duties for this first recruiting cycle.

Last edited:

“I had a top 5 scoring offense, top 5 passing offense and a Heisman candidate In 2021.”

Repeat to every top QB until you get a commit. Just need one a year and/or one out of the portal, and you’re done recruiting.

With those recent credentials, how much difficulty would recruiting pose to him? More or less than Verduzco?

You're okay with your OC only recruiting one guy per class? Look at how Chinander attacks the recruiting trail. You need the same from your offensive guy IMO.

I agree with Blast, you need guys who embrace recruiting at every spot on your staff at Nebraska.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back