• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It's crap like this that is turning me off college football

Not only are coaches being paid much MUCH more than they were 30 years ago, there are also more jobs. Analysts, consultants, support staff... Administration has had similar growth in as well. In addition, look to adjacent industries. Are we building a $300 million expansion without the "labor" of our football team? If we pay them do we decide that maybe we don't need a $1 million waterfall wall? What about media? BTN has some well paid suits, as does the Husker sports network, speak not of the ESPN talking heads. You pay players, universities have to charge a higher fee and suddenly Desmond Howard has to take a 6 figure pay cut.
I guess where I am coming from is that aside from the coaching staff are the other staff being paid and exorbitant amount? Yes the University is bringing in a buttload of money but that money is being paid out to salaries, etc. When you look at what is being built that money is being paid out to laborers. The football program gave I believe 10 million to the University, it is not like the 125 million or whatever the budget is, is sitting in the bank. It is going to employ a lot of people and yes some of those salaries are a tad out of line. Each scholarship athlete gets free education and in state at Nebraska it is at a minimum $25K. They are also getting a 2K stipend they are also getting free food, clothing and medical care. I think a conservative estimate might be around 50-75k a year that is tax free. That is a pretty good chunk of change.

You may be right but if I had to hazard a guess I would assume that Janey on an academic full ride while able to work, may not have the time because she probably isn't taking basket weaving or gender studies and is studying when not in class.
Wow, that’s a really poor view of our student athletes.

The bottom line here is, without the schools putting theses dudes on tv, they have no brand, likeness. Some will be millionaires over, before ever leaving college, even if they end up not making it to the NFL.

My only thing is when they start moving into that highly paid status they should get shed of the “just kids” and “student athlete” status. When they screw up they get called out like a player would in the pros.

I think these young men are already making more than most average working people. I have no issue with that but agree they shouldn’t be referenced as kids or amateurs. The other part of that is do they bring the money in for the school or is it the school that elevates the player. I’ve often thought the school is a huge reason the player is as popular as he is. A lot bigger deals for kids going to Alabama or Ohio St.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back