• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

It's crap like this that is turning me off college football

It will interesting to see how this grows and changes college football. I am all for the players getting paid but I don't see how it can be kept on a level playing field with this NIL. Watch and see; its going to be quite a ride.

It will interesting to see how this grows and changes college football. I am all for the players getting paid but I don't see how it can be kept on a level playing field with this NIL. Watch and see; its going to be quite a ride.

College football has never been a level playing field. There have always been haves and have nots. The only thing that's changed over the years is which schools are among the "haves" and which schools are among the "have nots."

IMO the interesting thing about the new NIL rules is that because of social media and the Internet, a player isn't necessarily restricted to only licensing deals with companies in the area where his school's located. That cuts down the advantage schools like USC and UCLA might have because of their location. OJ Simpson actually began his acting career by appearing on Ironside and Dragnet while still in school. Schools like Nebraska aren't going to necessarily be at a disadvantage because of location.

I'm not saying that the players aren't worth anything, this likeness stuff just creats a 'me' culture and I just don't care for it. Just my 2 cents.

This isn't new. You've forgotten about the licensing deal Nebraska had with Taylor Martinez's Dad Casey and his Corn Fed Apparel company. Nebraska ended that deal in 2011 after Osborne learned that Taylor was actually the owner of the Corn Fed trademark and the company's website. That arrangement could have gotten Nebraska in some trouble because it was actually signed in 2007, *before* Taylor was offered a scholarship.

EDIT: Additionally, I think Blake Lawrence also began working on what became Hurrdat before he had to medically retire from college football.

Last edited:
This isn't new. You've forgotten about the licensing deal Nebraska had with Taylor Martinez's Dad Casey and his Corn Fed Apparel company. Nebraska ended that deal in 2011 after Osborne learned that Taylor was actually the owner of the Corn Fed trademark and the company's website. That arrangement could have gotten Nebraska in some trouble because it was actually signed in 2007, *before* Taylor was offered a scholarship.

EDIT: Additionally, I think Blake Lawrence also began working on what became Hurrdat before he had to medically retire from college football.

I understand, and I guess I wouldn't have like it then just like I don't like it now. BL's 'Huddle' I am assuming didn't come to fruition until after he was done playing, if so that is different. If not then that was wrong as well. Maybe it's what Mr. Williams said that has me a little peeved, again not saying he is wrong with any of this, but I just don't like it.

1634325832799.png

These kids seem to say if the schools are making money of them why shouldn't they get a piece of the pie? Well, why should the people that have helped these kids get where they are get a piece of the pie? All I see is me, me me, I just don't think it should all be about them. That's all.

I understand, and I guess I wouldn't have like it then just like I don't like it now. BL's 'Huddle' I am assuming didn't come to fruition until after he was done playing, if so that is different. If not then that was wrong as well. Maybe it's what Mr. Williams said that has me a little peeved, again not saying he is wrong with any of this, but I just don't like it.

View attachment 71728

These kids seem to say if the schools are making money of them why shouldn't they get a piece of the pie? Well, why should the people that have helped these kids get where they are get a piece of the pie? All I see is me, me me, I just don't think it should all be about them. That's all.
I see it more as a way to level the field with regular students that can get jobs. Janey on a full ride academic can work whatever hours she wants. Football players can't. I know, they have some other benefits but I don't think this is going to get too bad. Companies need to make money and they'll cut a bust just as quick as sign him.

I see it more as a way to level the field with regular students that can get jobs. Janey on a full ride academic can work whatever hours she wants. Football players can't. I know, they have some other benefits but I don't think this is going to get too bad. Companies need to make money and they'll cut a bust just as quick as sign him.
You may be right but if I had to hazard a guess I would assume that Janey on an academic full ride while able to work, may not have the time because she probably isn't taking basket weaving or gender studies and is studying when not in class.

You may be right but if I had to hazard a guess I would assume that Janey on an academic full ride while able to work, may not have the time because she probably isn't taking basket weaving or gender studies and is studying when not in class.
I knew several at NU on full rides, or close, that worked 30 hours a week easy.

Of course gender studies wasn't a class when I was there.

So my question is who is getting rich off the players? A few coaches? Who else?
Not only are coaches being paid much MUCH more than they were 30 years ago, there are also more jobs. Analysts, consultants, support staff... Administration has had similar growth in as well. In addition, look to adjacent industries. Are we building a $300 million expansion without the "labor" of our football team? If we pay them do we decide that maybe we don't need a $1 million waterfall wall? What about media? BTN has some well paid suits, as does the Husker sports network, speak not of the ESPN talking heads. You pay players, universities have to charge a higher fee and suddenly Desmond Howard has to take a 6 figure pay cut.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back