• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

And so it begins…..

Depends on the guy. Frost is still in the top 20 nationally in salary and so is his staff IIRC.

Who would they target and would $5m be enough? Would Dave Aranda (makes $2.5m) come if you double his salary? Would Billy Napier (makes $2m) come for that or wait for an SEC job? Would Lane Kiffin (makes $4.5m) listen for less than $6m?

How would Husker fans feel if the next coach was someone that's a top coordinator like Bill O'Brien, Tony Elliott, Brent Venables or Dan Lanning?

I would target Tom Herman or Pat Narduzzi as top candidates.

I think you guys are stuck in an “old paradigm.”

Fighting the last war.

Does it even matter that much any more?

it’s a different world now…

transfers and NIL money…and “how fast will I play?”

And “can I get to the NFL from here” is what matters…

Recruit an absolute Blue Chip and if he doesn’t immediately play or you can’t showcase him the way his parents want….he’s already looking elsewhere with zero consequences.

And the blue chips aren’t looking for long five-year commitments anyway. They’re looking for a quick showcase of their skills so they can get into the NFL unhurt

We have to get over this idea that kids have “loyalty” and a long term outlook to a school…

They may have a “comfort zone” with a particular coach…even a small amount of “loyalty”…but does that even matter in this new high movement world???

Mel Tucker brought in 41 transfers in one year.…..41….Michigan State had horrific recruiting three years running.

The sooner we get some of those old, admirable notions out of our head the better we will operate in this far less romantic new world.

I mean I think we all need to just step back and not get hyper about this particular aspect because I honestly don’t think it matters nearly as much as it used to.

What will matter FAR MORE is a school’s ability to take a look at the transfer portal and find out what quick fixes are available and then go out and actively get those guys…..a la Tucker….

“Mining” of JuCo and the portal becomes an absolutely necessary ability in this new environment.

Standard recruiting is still going to play a large role but I just think a much less important role in the future.

Last edited:
20 million to buy him out

Another 6 to lure in a replacement

Another 2 to buy out the staff because a new guy will want his own staff and maybe even demand more for their salaries

A MAJOR fund raiser for the “new facility” competing for money…

And coming off a down Covid year that was disastrous for college athletic budgets…

With a brand new AD that has had all of 3 months to enter this fray…line up a replacement…get big money on board…yada, yada

right there is over half what we get from the BiG…just how is that going to affect the rest of NUs athletic program AND square with Title 9?

And money doesn’t matter?

Unless you’ve got Warren Buffett or some consortium of big donors already lined up there is no way in hell he gets canned this year.

So I hate to tell you guys but just grit your teeth and hope we do better next year.

But hey…it’s not our money so…whatever…

Depends on the guy. Frost is still in the top 20 nationally in salary and so is his staff IIRC.

Who would they target and would $5m be enough? Would Dave Aranda (makes $2.5m) come if you double his salary? Would Billy Napier (makes $2m) come for that or wait for an SEC job? Would Lane Kiffin (makes $4.5m) listen for less than $6m?

How would Husker fans feel if the next coach was someone that's a top coordinator like Bill O'Brien, Tony Elliott, Brent Venables or Dan Lanning?

IMO, Aranda and Napier might get Nebraska in a bidding war with LSU. Nobody outside the SEC is going to win a bidding war with an SEC school if they really want a guy.

Ordinarily, if somebody with a resume like Kiffin's were rumored I don't think it would be a popular choice. However, because it's Lane Kiffin, I think he'd be given a chance. IMO he'd be even more accepted if he managed to bring is brother Chris, who's currently the DL coach for the Cleveland Browns, with him and his Dad was an analyst or something.

Absolutely no way do I want Bill O'Brien. Not only did he leave Penn State for the Texans after only two years, according to a new book about the Patriots, O'Brien at least joked about trying to get fired by the Texans because he wanted to succeed Belichek in New England.

IMO Venables has such a good situation at Clemson, it would take way too much money to pry him away. In July 2020, he publicly said that he didn't take any of the open head coaching jobs because, "You have to be careful not to screw up happy." Amazingly, even though he's been a college coach for 30 years he's only coached at three schools. IMO he'll stay at Clemson and be Dabo's successor whenever Dabo retires or gets lured away by an NFL job.

Venables would be a fun hire though. There's at least a decent possibility hiring Venables brings Bo back to Lincoln for a third time. Wouldn't that be crazy?

Last edited:

The money has never been an issue before, I hope it's not now.

The money's going to be an issue now because the Athletic Department hasn't had enough time to financially recover from COVID. They had to make some deep cuts within the department to get through the past year without cutting any sports like other schools did. They're also trying to pay for the new football facility. I think the latest estimate I saw on that was like $150 million or so.

If Nebraska has to pay the full $20 million buyout IMO they're going to end up having to hire a coach and staff "on the cheap" or cut certain things out of the new football facility.

We lose recruits every year, just like all programs do. The problem we have now is that Nebraska isn't all that attractive and we don't have talent lined up to make up for losing a kid. Unfortunately that sometimes leads to taking kids on who either have some baggage to deal with or aren't fully bought in and become transfer portal bait. I think there is sufficient talent on the team right now to be winning 8-9 games a year but it isn't being managed properly. A 4th losing season and a coach on the ultra hot seat will cause that talent level to drop real fast. That's one of the main reason's I think Frost has to go. A new guy can come in now and win with the kids we have. If the program's on the upswing, better recruits will come. If we continue to stub our toes with Frost - by the time he's gone we truly will be leaving a weak roster for the next guy. That's when the "needing 4 years to rebuild" narrative will be a real thing.
I’ll add that the new coach buys “hope” to new recruits that Frost can’t sell now.

The money's going to be an issue now because the Athletic Department hasn't had enough time to financially recover from COVID. They had to make some deep cuts within the department to get through the past year without cutting any sports like other schools did. They're also trying to pay for the new football facility. I think the latest estimate I saw on that was like $150 million or so.

If Nebraska has to pay the full $20 million buyout IMO they're going to end up having to hire a coach and staff "on the cheap" or cut certain things out of the new football facility.
No…..there is plenty of money there.

I’ll add that the new coach buys “hope” to new recruits that Frost can’t sell now.

I'm not so sure about that. IMO, right now the "hope" Frost and his staff could sell is the idea a kid could come in and win a starting job right away.

I sooooo agree

Honestly, I don't know why (I have been beyond disgusted with SF since last year) but when SF said monday that AM was playing hurt and then you see how AM was playing the first half (couldn't hit the broad side of a barn nor did he attempt to run when he clearly should of) in the Minny game, all I could think was what an arrogant guy SF is. One should really question what he prioritizes more his proving a point, loyalty or winning? Clearly it is not winning but could be a toss up between the other two

AM is a below average QB at best when he is not able to run. Yet SF surrendered the game Saturday to Fleck by not even attempting to play Smothers who is good runner and god knows no worse of passer than what AM product the first half. What a gut punch that had to be to Smothers

As long as SF is HC, I can't imagine any hot prospect committing to the huskers
Smothers is no where close to being as good a passer as AM

I think you guys are stuck in an “old paradigm.”

Fighting the last war.

Does it even matter that much any more?

it’s a different world now…

transfers and NIL money…and “how fast will I play?”

And “can I get to the NFL from here” is what matters…

Recruit an absolute Blue Chip and if he doesn’t immediately play or you can’t showcase him the way his parents want….he’s already looking elsewhere with zero consequences.

And the blue chips aren’t looking for long five-year commitments anyway. They’re looking for a quick showcase of their skills so they can get into the NFL unhurt

We have to get over this idea that kids have “loyalty” and a long term outlook to a school…

They may have a “comfort zone” with a particular coach…even a small amount of “loyalty”…but does that even matter in this new high movement world???

Mel Tucker brought in 41 transfers in one year.…..41….Michigan State had horrific recruiting three years running.

The sooner we get some of those old, admirable notions out of our head the better we will operate in this far less romantic new world.

I mean I think we all need to just step back and not get hyper about this particular aspect because I honestly don’t think it matters nearly as much as it used to.

What will matter FAR MORE is a school’s ability to take a look at the transfer portal and find out what quick fixes are available and then go out and actively get those guys…..a la Tucker….

“Mining” of JuCo and the portal becomes an absolutely necessary ability in this new environment.

Standard recruiting is still going to play a large role but I just think a much less important role in the future.
Tucker brought in 15 scholarship transfers. 41 is the total of new players, including high school and walk ons. Agree NU needs to use transfers, not because high school players isn’t the best way to go but because our success might be limited there for this year.

Last edited:
Tucker brought in 15 scholarship transfers. 41 is the total of new players, including high school and walk ons. Agree NU needs to use transfers, not because high school players isn’t the best way to go but because our success might be limited there for this year.

According to this article, it's 20 transfers. https://www.mlive.com/spartans/2021...rtal-to-overhaul-michigan-state-football.html

Tucker's use of the portal might not fit at Nebraska or anywhere else absent a coaching change though. The reason Tucker embraced the portal is he pretty much didn't have a choice. After the 2020 season he lost 27 players, including 4 at the start of spring ball and 10 more after it.

The money has never been an issue before, I hope it's not now.
There is plenty of money in reserves. We only started getting our full share from the B1G a couple of years ago. I’m not sure what the numbers were exactly but under eichorst they had announced I believe a 5 year plan to donate several million a year back to the university general fund. And that was while we were making payments to Bo.

The bottom line is the athletic department isn’t going to brag about how much money they have available to them in savings in fear of donations being stopped.

Smothers is no where close to being as good a passer as AM
That maybe true with a healthy AM but not when he is hurt

smothers is definitely a better runner whenAM is hurt

and here is the kicker. AM has a low football IQ which we have had four years to witness, just possibly smothers being a coaches son just might raise the bar and help this team play smarter.

it sure as hell doesn’t happen when AM is on the field

Tucker brought in 15 scholarship transfers. 41 is the total of new players, including high school and walk ons. Agree NU needs to use transfers,
I stand corrected…

But I think the basic thought pattern still stands…as you point out.

Flexibilty…not just tied to the old way of doing business.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back