• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If I’m the backup quarterbacks!

Interesting. So you think Haarberg is the starter next year?
If Martinez is gone, and neither Haarberg or Smothers progress, my guys tell me it would be Haarberg. Some of that is on Smothers not progressing as much, and Haarberg coming in better than what coaches anticipated. It’s funny, Haarberg was supposed to be another project like McCafrey and the reigns were supposed to be handed to Smothers, but after the coaches had the spring and summer with HH, kids supposed to have a cannon.

Isn’t it weird in year four not to have anyone they feel comfortable with if the starter is hurt? Other teams have backups that play and Martinez takes a beating. Why not protect tge kid and program by having someone else ready.
Imagine this scenario:

Logan Smothers starts and Adrian Martinez is in street clothes. The game plays out the same... another close loss. Frost comes out afterwards and says that Martinez probably could have played, but they wanted to give him an extra week to heal.

Can you imagine the outcry?

"Frost sacrificed a chance at bowl game."
"Why would you start a freshman when your 4-year starter could've played?"
"With the bye week coming up, they should have played Martinez and at least tried to win the game."

He's in a no-win situation. No matter what he does, you guys will be up his butt.

Imagine this scenario:

Logan Smothers starts and Adrian Martinez is in street clothes. The game plays out the same... another close loss. Frost comes out afterwards and says that Martinez probably could have played, but they wanted to give him an extra week to heal.

"With the bye week coming up, they should have played Martinez and at least tried to win the game."

He's in a no-win situation. No matter what he does, you guys will be up his butt.
I think it’s actually a legitimate question. After four years he deserves the criticism for things that aren’t working. Whatever Trev decides is all that matters but message boards are meant to vent. They are made to discuss issues good or bad. No one on here knows how the last four games will play out but after four years I have questions.

I think it’s actually a legitimate question. After four years he deserves the criticism for things that aren’t working. Whatever Trev decides is all that matters but message boards are meant to vent. They are made to discuss issues good or bad. No one on here knows how the last four games will play out but after four years I have questions.
Oh, I know you have questions and need to vent. I would recommend starting a thread to complain about Frost, the quarterbacks, or both. We need one of those.

I’m pissed and tired of reading and hearing I’m not ready. Martinez played as a freshman. If he’s hurt play the backup. If they don’t have a capable backup well that’s on Frost. I agree that Martinez’s struggles aren’t all his fault but how about when he’s hurting or struggling we play another kid. Almost every other team does it. I’m not calling for Martinez to be benched. He’s played well most the season. I just would be pisses if I was Smothers. I would think damn I must really suck not to even play when the other dude is hurt. Unfortunately we have no clue if our backups can play.
If you were the backup QB, God help us

Oh, I know you have questions and need to vent. I would recommend starting a thread to complain about Frost, the quarterbacks, or both. We need one of those.
It’s not like everyone was complaining in year one or two. It’s been four years. I will probably talk myself into them beating Purdue in two weeks. I drink the koolaid way to often but I don’t believe long term in Frost.

Imagine this scenario:

I thought it was interesting that Frost said there were 2 reasons why he didn't run a QB sneak when they were 2" from goal line. One was that he saw Minny was doing a good job against QB sneaks but he never said the other one. I'm just guessing the other reason was AM's ankle wasn't good and couldn't push off the way it would be needed under center? Why not use Smothers or Masker for that play? We have a pretty good center that should get enough space for the QB under center to get 2"? Seems reasonable at least to ask the question just how banged up was AM based on the way he played.

I’m pissed and tired of reading and hearing I’m not ready. Martinez played as a freshman. If he’s hurt play the backup. If they don’t have a capable backup well that’s on Frost. I agree that Martinez’s struggles aren’t all his fault but how about when he’s hurting or struggling we play another kid. Almost every other team does it. I’m not calling for Martinez to be benched. He’s played well most the season. I just would be pisses if I was Smothers. I would think damn I must really suck not to even play when the other dude is hurt. Unfortunately we have no clue if our backups can play.

Spot on. I’m actually surprised their still around.

If really is alarming how this staff have failed to develop AM. That said, it’s no wonder our backups haven’t been developed either.

We’ve seen first hand how other teams have effectively readied their backup QBs.

I totally agree that if I were in their shoes I’d be PO’d and concerned about my own development… as well as any prospect of getting meaningful playing time.

I’m hoping that changes will be made to address this.

It’s not like everyone was complaining in year one or two. It’s been four years. I will probably talk myself into them beating Purdue in two weeks. I drink the koolaid way to often but I don’t believe long term in Frost.
Literally one week ago:
I definitely see a better team. We have a All conference quarterback surrounded with some real weapons now. Against three really good teams they played good. Yes they all make mistakes but they are in all these games. I’m very optimistic about this team moving forward. They can still win six. Even if they don’t win six I’ve seen progress. Some of us get passionate and say things we later realize we shouldn’t have. Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and enjoy this team.

I thought it was interesting that Frost said there were 2 reasons why he didn't run a QB sneak when they were 2" from goal line. One was that he saw Minny was doing a good job against QB sneaks but he never said the other one. I'm just guessing the other reason was AM's ankle wasn't good and couldn't push off the way it would be needed under center? Why not use Smothers or Masker for that play? We have a pretty good center that should get enough space for the QB under center to get 2"? Seems reasonable at least to ask the question just how banged up was AM based on the way he played.
I'm guessing it's because they don't practice going under center, so that's a greater risk than your 235 lb running not being able to gain 2". It's a TD if the turf monster doesn't reach up and tackle Yant.

I drink the koolaid heavy. This last week was enough for me. Who knows maybe they win three of the next four and change my mind. I just see another season of no bowling. That pisses me off. So I vent here with other angry people.
And this is why mobs shouldn't be in charge.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back