• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4th And 1 at the 1 foot line…shotgun

I don’t hate the shotgun....Urban Meyer and Tebow used to run it to perfection, the difference is they executed it perfectly and had a QB that resembled a TE. I’m more pissed that we almost never throw to our 6’9 TE at the goal line than I I am that we were in shotgun on 4th and 1 from the 1.
Scott Frost is not Urban Meyer. Adrian Martinez is not Tim Tebow. As far as execution is concerned-see above when mentioned Scott Frost is not Urban Meyer. Our offensive Line is not 2008 Florida's Offensive line. You're a wee bit off base. The shotgun formation was a bad call.

There is almost zero chance that AM can't take an under-center snap there and just reach the ball over the goal. If they stop that . . . fine. But that's really the best call down there. You should be practicing that every damn day. Shotgun is idiotic at the 1 yard line and we've never been good at it.

But at the same time . . . why no fake to the run and try to get your 6' 8" TE a look? Minny was selling out 100% to the run up the gut and we gave it to them multiple times in a row. This offense can't find it's rear end with a funnel, a flashlight and GPS inside the 10 yard line. It defies the odds, it's so terrible.
Allen was our best offensive weapon today. Fleck ran the play action tight end release for 6. Not cute enough for Frost? Too obvious? That play is money in high school, college, and NFL. I’d guess 80% success rate.

You mean to tell me it’s not a penalty to go under center on the goal line? Asking for a friend and maybe someone should also tell our head coach it’s acceptable

If Yant doesn't stumble in the backfield, it's 6.

Like most folks, I've never cared for the shotgun on short yardage,... but it's a staple of this offense, heck sure looked like AM scored from the 2 the previous play from the same formation.

The 2nd down hit on Rahmir that put him out of the game sure looked like crown of the helmet targeting.

Last edited:
I still like Yant even though he has been showing his "youth" and inexperience recently.

I also still wonder why Frost rolled out the I-Formation against Ohio State; had success with it and seldom used it again... especially in situations like the ones were discussing.

Bottom line, I thought going under center would've been the better decision in those situations today, but we'll never know for sure.
Your Ohio State reference is spot on. This offense has no identity, whether we're talking about in a series, across the span of a game, or for the entire season. The offensive game plan seems almost random. Last week we continue to run the exact same RB screen pass 3 or 4 more times after it was obviously not working. We have success running between the tackles with a certain Yant/ Stepp, and then they get 1 carry the next game. Allen's having a monster game and then on 3rd and 10 late in the game you have him he's running a 5 yard curl route near the sideline??? Betts had a great run and was gone. Where was the pop pass play or jet sweep with him? There's no consistent identity I can point to, so if someone else can please let me know.

Let’s not forget on the 3rd down play if Martinez pulls the ball he walks around left end into the end zone, the outside rusher had no intention to go anywhere other than to the back .

This wasn’t just the yard line the ball was almost touching the goal line a Qi sneak under center with the back pushing cannot be stopped .

Really.

All conference caliber center and a 6 foot 2 215 lb QB—okay let’s run shotgun and allow time for penetration to potentially occur. Even if the back slips on a quick hitter I like the odds of a 230lb falling through the line of scrimmage. Or even better yet, the running back should be pushing Martinez forward on the QB keeper.

Seriously. You cannot make this stuff up.
Oh, yes you can. Seeing is believing.

5qshb1.jpg

Wcbsas, you play for the Huskers this year? You still have eligibility? Nice response, Finn. Grade school called. They want you to come back Monday.
Don't be so snarky.
I’m sorry my opinion isn’t like your opinion.
But I guess you and all you “liking” friends believe you can insult the messenger even if he disagrees with you.

Really.

All conference caliber center and a 6 foot 2 215 lb QB—okay let’s run shotgun and allow time for penetration to potentially occur. Even if the back slips on a quick hitter I like the odds of a 230lb falling through the line of scrimmage. Or even better yet, the running back should be pushing Martinez forward on the QB keeper.

Seriously. You cannot make this stuff up.
Right. You have to clap 15 times and then start 5 yards from the line of scrimmage to get 12". #stunned

I don't understand why NU won't get under center. Maybe it's hard to clap with your hands under center.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back