• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Let’s be clear on our losses

Agree that the team is playing better, and that a loss is a loss.

I’m excited at the prospects of building on the positive steps the team has taken.

Interestingly and importantly are making positive steps in the areas that have been our downfall for several years. Discipline and details… especially at critical times in a game (closing minutes/series to either preserve a lead or score points to win).

I think we’re seeing some improvement in the kicking game and in reducing mistakes/penalties and turnovers, but we’re still not there yet.

These (along with tactical adjustments and player utilization) are some of the little details that I think Alberts is expecting to see continual improvement on.

Last edited:

I agree winning isn't everything. But it is something. And it is something that coming close in a couple of games leads many to think the 4th year coach with a career at NU losing record is doing a good job. 4th year! Coming close is not nearly enough.

Now if somehow he can get three more wins out of this season, then I think that the Administration will keep him on with all kinds of comments about "Now we are getting somewhere."

OK. I understand that. And maybe they are right, or maybe getting the buy out money for him is too hard to do based on paying out other coaches in the recent past.

But coming close is not nearly good enough in his fourth year. Many on the board seem supportive of him so seem to disagree with me. I undertand that also. Hope springs eternal.

But what the heck. Maybe they will knock off Iowa or OSU to get to six wins. I don't think so. I think they have to sweep Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Purdue. By that I mean win the games - not just look "improved," or come close, but win. Hope they do.

I recognize progress but am tired of pissing away games and don't give a flip about moral victories.... since everyone seems to be arguing with other posters if someone could direct me to who I'm supposed to argue with I'd appreciate it :thumbsup: :Lol:

Last edited:
I’ve been most impressed with the offense over the last two weeks. They have clearly improved and have cut down on blunders (yet they still exist).
I’m not sure this offense can be blunder free. There is a lot to be expected asking the quarterback, running backs, receivers and line to pass block for a multitude of short, mid range and deep passes. Expecting execution of running plays that employ your running backs, your receivers , your quarterback and now adding an option attack to it. There’s an awful lot of moving parts that quite frankly most offenses don’t try to perfect. Because we are highly reliant on our qbs to operate all the facets of this offense it creates more opportunities for mistakes.

Last edited:

I recognize progress but am tired of pissing away games and don't give a flip about moral victories.... since everyone seems to be arguing with other posters if someone could direct me to who I'm supposed to argue with I'd appreciate it :thumbsup: :Lol:
tombstone-im-your-huckleberry.gif

I'll bite...

what are the metrics? seriously - is it only W/L record? win percentage? (if so, please explain Solich & Pelini dismissals)
is a 3pt last minute loss against a ranked opponent equal to a blowout loss?
are there intangibles to be considered? if so, please elaborate
"not the victory but the action" - is that relevant?
The metrics for each fan are different. That’s why we are always arguing. My point of the op was the exaggerated use of “moral victory” argument levied at any fan who recognizes close games with top teams as a sign of improvement

Great thread, @Hville . I was as pissed as anyone Saturday night. But you know what? It felt great to have disappointed anger against a top 10 team again, as opposed to contemplating turning the game off after the first quarter. Now it's time to take the next step and start winning these games. 13 points is what separates Nebraska from three teams that are a combined 18-0. So come out on Saturday and take out their frustrations on Minnesota.
I still have some serious concerns about Frost and company. I can't allow a few close games to obscure years of history.

That said, I was basically all for dropping Frost after Illinois. That game was so typical of Frost that I thought for sure the year would go that way.

I'm still mad at a few other things from these losses (where was Yant on the two goaline runs on the first possession...you put in your big boy there). Special teams cost us 2 games this year. That's unacceptable.

I've been a Chin fan for about 2 years now. He's found great coaches under him and he calls a great game. My concern on defense is twofold: First and foremost do we lose Chin to a HC position after this year? Some G5 school would be stupid to not take a run at him as HC. Second, even if we keep him, I think we're losing some serious experience. Do we have the personal to reload? Is our recruiting going well enough for this?

Offense is mostly better post-Illinois. Love the new OL (really sucks Teddy is out for the year). I'll never understand Held's RB rotation and why Frost allows it. Yant was a monster against NW and then is basically benched for the game (don't give me he went the wrong way on one play and got benched crap. We've had guys commit way worse sins game after game after game and still play).

We don't have a backup QB with any experience. We've really failed in retaining one for next year (if AM doesn't return). Can an offense with great players function well with a new QB?

I’m not sure this offense can be blunder free. There is a lot to be expected asking the quarterback, running backs, receivers and line to pass block for a multitude of short, mid range and deep passes. Expecting execution of running plays that employ your running backs, your receivers and now adding an option attack to it. There’s an awful lot of moving parts that quite frankly most offenses don’t try to perfect. Because we are highly reliant on our qbs to operate all the facets of this offense it creates more opportunities for mistakes.

Not sure if you meant to reply to me, but my questions were directed at Nash to please explain the hypocrisy of what he claims to see versus what he claims others are seeing. I don't expect a genuine response from him, so...thanks?

I still have some serious concerns about Frost and company. I can't allow a few close games to obscure years of history.

That said, I was basically all for dropping Frost after Illinois. That game was so typical of Frost that I thought for sure the year would go that way.

I'm still mad at a few other things from these losses (where was Yant on the two goaline runs on the first possession...you put in your big boy there). Special teams cost us 2 games this year. That's unacceptable.

I've been a Chin fan for about 2 years now. He's found great coaches under him and he calls a great game. My concern on defense is twofold: First and foremost do we lose Chin to a HC position after this year? Some G5 school would be stupid to not take a run at him as HC. Second, even if we keep him, I think we're losing some serious experience. Do we have the personal to reload? Is our recruiting going well enough for this?

Offense is mostly better post-Illinois. Love the new OL (really sucks Teddy is out for the year). I'll never understand Held's RB rotation and why Frost allows it. Yant was a monster against NW and then is basically benched for the game (don't give me he went the wrong way on one play and got benched crap. We've had guys commit way worse sins game after game after game and still play).

We don't have a backup QB with any experience. We've really failed in retaining one for next year (if AM doesn't return). Can an offense with great players function well with a new QB?

Those are fair points, although a lot of those things have been addressed (don't want to jinx anything about special teams, but....). Johnson has taken over the primary back spot and has done well. THe thing with Yant could be an issue where he does it all the time in practice, and then it shows up in a game that cost the team yards.

QB after AM leaves is something to be concerned, but Smothers has gotten some decent PT and looked ok for a freshman. As long as this defensive staff is in place, I'm not worried at all about them next year or going forward.

Not sure if you meant to reply to me, but my questions were directed at Nash to please explain the hypocrisy of what he claims to see versus what he claims others are seeing. I don't expect a genuine response from him, so...thanks?
That was a mistake adding you to that response. Didn’t mean to include you in it. However since you are in the topic maybe just ask him to respond in a pm since we have already went through it all yesterday. :)

Excellent summary and very realistic concerns once we step outside the koolaid. I’ll add a couple of things. I don’t think chin is as close to being pulled away as you feel after this year. Maybe another year or two.

Secondly, I’m not as worried about next year’s departures. That is every year.

Last edited:

I think we get a couple more years of Chin. I’m sure he feels he has unfinished business here. All of our Linebackers that are playing good come back next season. We lose our safeties but they do have high rated guys waiting there. We get Robinson, Rogers, and some young talent with the polar Bear coming back. I think the defense will continue to be good. Those linebackers are doing a really nice job. I was like you after Illinois. I was convinced it was the same old story.

We started off pissing away a game to Illinois.

We're now pissing away games to Top 10 teams.
I see that as an improvement.

I think we finish out with five straight wins.

It's gonna be delicious beating #1 ranked Iowa ditch chickens Friday after Thanksgiving
I looked at Georgia’s schedule. No one is beating them before they play Alabama so, Iowa won’t be ranked #1.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back