• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Let’s be clear on our losses

I'll bite...

what are the metrics? seriously - is it only W/L record? win percentage? (if so, please explain Solich & Pelini dismissals)
is a 3pt last minute loss against a ranked opponent equal to a blowout loss?
are there intangibles to be considered? if so, please elaborate
"not the victory but the action" - is that relevant?
Without getting into the specifics of the FS and BP dismissals … each situation is different. The bottom line on ALL of the coaching dismissals is who is making the decision. Not only the AD but the chancellor/president as well.

What are/were their decision making criteria, what are the circumstances surrounding the team they inherited and the team at the time of their dismissals.

You can’t compare SF to BP or BC or FS or MR … each inherited a program in a different state of existence. If the same AD was making the hiring and firing decisions we could compare some aspects of why. I find it interesting that in the past 20 years or so … we’ve had as many ADs as we’ve had CFB coaches. THAT itself should be an area of concern.

Without stability of leadership and vision how can you expect the entities below them to have stability and successful performance?

Regardless of your feeling towards SF … the decision to retain or fire him has NOTHING to do with the situations surrounding BP or FS.

I looked at Georgia’s schedule. No one is beating them before they play Alabama so, Iowa won’t be ranked #1.
They play #11 Kentucky this week … we will find out if the Fighting Wandales are legit or not … but then they play Florida the week after … that is two relatively tough games … back-to-back. Georgia’s QB situation is still in flux … who knows what could happen.

I think UGA will win out … even beating ‘Bama in the CCG game but … I wouldn’t bet the house that they don’t drop one in the next two weeks.

Yeah I prefer the moral victory not be used to describe what is going here. Nobody is celebrating, rather, we are accepting that we took the L. We are also clearly observing better overall football from HCSF teams.
Much better said in a shorter format. :) :)

I hope you are right about the victory ... no way does Iowa enter that game ranked #1 ... Georgia will remain #1 until they pay Alabama in the SEC championship game.

Yes they do play Kentucky and Florida the next two weeks ... could they lose? Maybe? But I doubt they do lose ... they're an NFL football team on defense.

I do think Iowa will enter the Black Friday game undefeated!
I think they play Tennessee too before SEC goes non-con

We started off pissing away a game to Illinois.

We're now pissing away games to Top 10 teams.
I see that as an improvement.

I think we finish out with five straight wins.

It's gonna be delicious beating #1 ranked Iowa ditch chickens Friday after Thanksgiving
I don't know who saw the Iowa - Penn State game, but Penn State pissed that away. Their line false starts made our guys seem like amateurs. It happens and we have improved significantly since the start of the year to cut back. The dam keeps springing leaks, but we keep plugging the holes and the task seems smaller now that it has in a long time.

There are moral victories, but when they pile up in lieu of actual wins, they begin to lose their shine.
GBR
I guess that’s one way of looking at it if you wanted too. If so I’m sure the piling up has reached that point for many. I guess I prefer to not even claim moral victories but instead just call it vastly improved play against high ranked competition. ;)

I’m not sure this offense can be blunder free. There is a lot to be expected asking the quarterback, running backs, receivers and line to pass block for a multitude of short, mid range and deep passes. Expecting execution of running plays that employ your running backs, your receivers , your quarterback and now adding an option attack to it. There’s an awful lot of moving parts that quite frankly most offenses don’t try to perfect. Because we are highly reliant on our qbs to operate all the facets of this offense it creates more opportunities for mistakes.
FWIW, 2017 UCF had 15 turnovers (1.15/game)
NU so far this year has 9 (1.29/game)

I guess that’s one way of looking at it if you wanted too. If so I’m sure the piling up has reached that point for many. I guess I prefer to not even claim moral victories but instead just call it vastly improved play against high ranked competition. ;)
Hopefully, someday soon, the vastly improved play leads to actual Ws.

I don't know who saw the Iowa - Penn State game, but Penn State pissed that away. Their line false starts made our guys seem like amateurs. It happens and we have improved significantly since the start of the year to cut back. The dam keeps springing leaks, but we keep plugging the holes and the task seems smaller now that it has in a long time.
When Clifford got hurt the PSU offense went into a funk. I believe had he played the entire game PSU would have won that game by double digits. Oh well ya gotta have luck and IA sure as hell seems to catch a lot breaks including their Big schedule.

Iowa plays very very sound football. That isnt related to the schedule. They just line up and make very few mistakes.

That style will come back to bite them at some point. They are very fortunate right now with the amount of fumbles recovered and interceptions. At some point, there will be a regression back to the mean. And I don't know if their offense can do enough when that happens.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back