• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Running Back Roulette

To paraphrase a line often used about QBs: If you have 4 RBs, you don't have any.

What Held has done with the RB room the last four years is an absolute mystery. It seems like we have a bunch of guys who are only good enough to average 3 yards / carry. Other than half a season with Ozigbo in 2018, we have never had a legit lead or #1 RB.
Ron Brown is available.

Hard to tell if they have breakaway speed when they can’t get past the line of scrimmage

Even when they do happen to get to the second level I never get the impression that they're breaking free. Our longest run outside of AM's scramble has been 21 yards.

To paraphrase a line often used about QBs: If you have 4 RBs, you don't have any.

What Held has done with the RB room the last four years is an absolute mystery. It seems like we have a bunch of guys who are only good enough to average 3 yards / carry. Other than half a season with Ozigbo in 2018, we have never had a legit lead or #1 RB.
Except, that saw doesn't translate to RBs (or receivers). There is something to be said for getting in a rythm, but RBs and WRs are /need to be plug and play.

Except, that saw doesn't translate to RBs (or receivers). There is something to be said for getting in a rythm, but RBs and WRs are /need to be plug and play.
That is somewhat true for WRs by virtue of the fact that there are usually three of them on the field at the same time, plus some rotation is required to give them rest after running a certain number of routes.

For RB, I would rather have a true lead guy with some capable back-ups to fill in on occasion when necessary. In the NFL, think of guys like McCaffrey, Cook, Kamara, and Henry. The easy example from yesterday in CFB would be the Freshman from Ohio St. who ran for 270+ yards.

The nfl many times has a starter but 2 or 3 guys play lots of downs
That comment isn't true for rbs imo
There is a lot of specialization in the NFL, and a few teams use a true committee or "hot hand" approach. Then again, you don't see guys like McCaffrey, Henry, Cook, or Kamara splitting carries equally with two or three other RBs. I still think it is better to have a true #1 that gets ~ 75% of the carries when the game is competitive.

W/o reading any posts, so not knowing if this has been discussed, but I believe the running back room just got smaller if Gabe's injury is as bad as I believe it could be.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back