• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Running Back Roulette

Ringo

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Not sure what to say about this. It's interesting that each week we have a new starter.

Stepp looked good against Fordham. Now doesn't sniff the field.
Gabe was solid last week against Buffalo, But Rahmir gets the start today. He played pretty good.
Hate to lose Gabe today.
I half expect Yant or Morrison to start next week the way this has played out so far.

Is this a good thing because we have depth or is it bad that nobody wins the job? I think there is some talent in the room.

I know they say go with the guy that practices the best each week. I guess nobody has been consistent enough in practice to be the guy.

To paraphrase a line often used about QBs: If you have 4 RBs, you don't have any.

What Held has done with the RB room the last four years is an absolute mystery. It seems like we have a bunch of guys who are only good enough to average 3 yards / carry. Other than half a season with Ozigbo in 2018, we have never had a legit lead or #1 RB.

To paraphrase a line often used about QBs: If you have 4 RBs, you don't have any.

What Held has done with the RB room the last four years is an absolute mystery. It seems like we have a bunch of guys who are only good enough to average 3 yards / carry. Other than half a season with Ozigbo in 2018, we have never had a legit lead or #1 RB.
RB situation is definitely frustrating. Playing time is unpredictable. As a player, that has to be frustrating.

Maybe the intention is to give everyone playing time so they don't enter the transfer portal. I'm not saying that it's a good idea, but it may explain what they're doing.

I know what coach Frost has said as far as " whomever practices best during the week" stuff. Just seems odd we can't get a guy or 2 and stick woth them

We just can’t get a runner with breakaway speed.Keep the faith.GBR.

We just can’t get a runner with breakaway speed.Keep the faith.GBR.
It's amazing how different/worse our running game looks compared to the Frost offenses at Oregon and UCF. Some of the problem must be due to poor line play, but our running backs just don't seem to break any long runs... even against Fordham and Buffalo.

What's it matter. If we've got 4 backs play them. Yea I get it's nice to have one get rhythm. But if they are all even as scott said, why does only one get to play? There's benefits this way too.
Maybe some games you need more speed. Others more power, others more catching out of the backfield etc.
I see lots of nfl teams play 2 or 3 backs.
If it works let it roll
This shows the players that if you start to play better in practice than the other guys you get your chance....instead of just....well you were named the starter so it's yours.
On top of that, I read somewhere the Rahmir was starting to look awesome in practice so....
Rahmir imo gets thru the whole faster than the other 3
Also threw an awesome block on amart td

Last edited:

The nfl many times has a starter but 2 or 3 guys play lots of downs
That comment isn't true for rbs imo

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back