• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bobby Newcombe

Which all contributes to the narrative that he should’ve been a RB or WR … would’ve been better for his post collegiate career AND would’ve been better for the T-E-A-M.
Possibly true and I won’t argue against that. He definitely could have been a running back or wide receiver. That goes on the coaches though not on him.

I just can’t bring myself to criticize a guy for not wanting the NFL. Crouch really wanted to be a quarterback. Once he realized that wasn’t going to happen he made a decision. There’s players right now every year quitting football at all levels.
It is not that Crouch didn’t want the NFL he wanted to be a QB in the NFL.

He left St. Louis, then Green Bay and KC choosing to pursue a QB slot. He then played in Canada and several arena leagues as a QB.

I guess I had forgotten the Bobby said some disparaging things about Nebraska and Eric Crouch until I saw the link this morning about his bitterness. I wonder if those relationships have ever been patched up. I hope so, I liked watching Bobby play and it would be great to bring him into the fold. I'm a little disappointed to see the emphasis on negativity on the front page of HuskerMax although it is totally fair game and accurate. The last I recall Bobby was coaching high school football near me in Chandler, Arizona.
Bobby was an amazing player who suffered an injury that made it difficult for him to start for a bit at QB. In that time slot EC came in and did a bang up job. Bobby was an exceptional player and to the best of my knowledge has made amends or vice versa.

I really think we just need to move past all the negative stuff, especially things from 20 years ago. It's all old news. We need some good, positive mojo going forward.
Yes this right here!! I’m so tired of the negative stuff. I’m cool with picking apart and giving opinions but stuff from twenty years ago isn’t relevant to me now.

Newcombe wasn’t the same after the knee injury. He just wasn’t. He lost some elusiveness at Quarterback. Imo he lost some nerve also. He seemed tentative to me.

He was never going to be durable enough to play option quarterback at Nebraska. He was a small guy with a slight build. He was barely 5’10” I stood by him when he was rehabbing in the spring of 99. He wasn’t any taller than I am.

In today’s game he would have hit the transfer portal pretty quick also.
Some people continue to say Newcombe wasn't the same after his knee injury, but I don't think there's much truth to that.

After his knee injury:

Also after his knee injury, a school record 94-yard punt return (at 1:40):

Newcombe was elusive, fast, and a better passer than Crouch. He also was better on the option pitch. However, Crouch was also elusive and fast, and he was a more physical runner than Newcombe.

Maybe the difference was that Newcombe loved playing football, while Crouch loved playing quarterback.

As I said if you read my post. I said he lost some elusiveness at Quarterback. I also said it was my opinion. He didn't look the same to me at QB. I get everyone loves Bobby Newcombe and I have no problem with Bobby Newcombe. I just don't get the hate for Eric Crouch.

As I said if you read my post. I said he lost some elusiveness at Quarterback. I also said it was my opinion. He didn't look the same to me at QB. I get everyone loves Bobby Newcombe and I have no problem with Bobby Newcombe. I just don't get the hate for Eric Crouch.
Some people apparently take it personal that Crouch only wanted to play qb in the NFL.
I'm not sure why it upsets them so much.

This tells me what I need to know about Dr. Newcombe: (from Independent article)
“Newcombe said he wouldn't sing the Nebraska fight song when required to do so as an NFL rookie. "They told me I'd have to sing," he is quoted. "But I think I'm going to sing the Highland (High School) fight song because I don't know the Nebraska one; I never wanted to learn it.
There are a number of players from NU whose careers probably didn’t work out like they envisioned … ie, Brook Beringer. If they were bitter about their experience they had the integrity and good sense not to burn those bridges publicly.

I think some fans in this thread need to…

ea335a0e-be51-4893-a31f-107817e43bcf_text.gif

Last edited:
Which all contributes to the narrative that he should’ve been a RB or WR … would’ve been better for his post collegiate career AND would’ve been better for the T-E-A-M.
But, as has been said, he won the Heisman. As a QB. I'm not quite sure how anyone can say a Heisman winner was playing the wrong position. He did pretty darn good at the position he was playing in the system he was in. Who's to say if he would've been worth a crap as a RB or a WR?

But, as has been said, he won the Heisman. As a QB. I'm not quite sure how anyone can say a Heisman winner was playing the wrong position. He did pretty darn good at the position he was playing in the system he was in. Who's to say if he would've been worth a crap as a RB or a WR?
This revisionist history can question everything and much of the Crouch - JLo - TMart discussions revolve around failed recruiting at the QB position but imagine an offense with a dynamic Newcombe at QB and Crouch playing the Johnny Rodgers-esque wingback position. Maybe they beat Colorado and Miami FL!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back