• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bobby Newcombe

Too many yet too few days until kick-off ... not much else to discuss!

tenor.gif

People in Nebraska don’t like Frost for some reason. He only won a championship. They don’t like Crouch for some reason. He’s only a heisman winner. Which honestly means everyone in sports thought he was one off the greatest to ever play the game except a few butthurt Husker fans.

This revisionist history can question everything and much of the Crouch - JLo - TMart discussions revolve around failed recruiting at the QB position but imagine an offense with a dynamic Newcombe at QB and Crouch playing the Johnny Rodgers-esque wingback position. Maybe they beat Colorado and Miami FL!

Except Newcombe had used up his eligibility before those 2 games.

Bobby would have been a terrific QB for Nebraska under a better coaching staff fit. Frank had no clue how to run a passing game and hence the morphing into crouch left, crouch right, crouch on the draw offense we ended up with going all the way through Jamal lord. (Checkers anyone) Newcombe was not the runner Eric was and once it became obvious that is what the offense was going to be the QB battle was over.
Before we even think about bashing Bobby Newcombe, let’s remember how quick Eric crouch would have “entered the transfer portal” had he not ultimately ended up with the job.
And then maybe some other school would have that Heisman Trophy on their resume.

Seems like EC proved he was the best QB on the roster that year.

I'll get excoriated for this, but I eventually came to the belief that Crouch was a somewhat of a quiter. Maybe high maintenance is a better term.
High Maintenance, maybe.

Quitter? Man, this team needs to start winning BAD. Regardless of how is post-NU time went, never thought I'd see a guy who took the beatings he did on Saturdays, won games, and won the Heisman called a Quitter on a husker board.

High Maintenance, maybe.

Quitter? Man, this team needs to start winning BAD. Regardless of how is post-NU time went, never thought I'd see a guy who took the beatings he did on Saturdays, won games, and won the Heisman called a Quitter on a husker board.
It’s a baffling opinion for sure.

High Maintenance, maybe.

Well, he made an emotional decision to quit the team as a 19 year old. I mean, crikey, 19 year Olds never make emotional decisions.

Then, he didn't want to play receiver in the NFL to assuage the apparent needs of certain Husker fans .

What a quitter

I heard there was quite a row between ol' "Doc" Eager and Benedict back in '05. Quite a scandal.

(1905, that is)

Well, he made an emotional decision to quit the team as a 19 year old. I mean, crikey, 19 year Olds never make emotional decisions.

Then, he didn't want to play receiver in the NFL to assuage the apparent needs of certain Husker fans .

What a quitter
I don't think too many were concerned whether or not he wanted to play receiver or not. It was more that he walked away from a chance and many fans (myself included) wanted to see him play on Sundays because 1 - he was a former Husker, and 2 - he was fun to watch. But it was his call - I doubt he checked with any of us to see if it was okay.
And "assuage"? Really? When did it become okay to use deep thought type words here?

I don't think too many were concerned whether or not he wanted to play receiver or not. It was more that he walked away from a chance and many fans (myself included) wanted to see him play on Sundays because 1 - he was a former Husker, and 2 - he was fun to watch. But it was his call - I doubt he checked with any of us to see if it was okay.
And "assuage"? Really? When did it become okay to use deep thought type words here?
People that want to call Crouch a quitter because he wouldn't play receiver in the NFL have some weird entitlement attitude.
Crouch dealt with it on his own terms. He could have been a receiver in the NFL and collected a paycheck. He chose not to. That's not quitting, in my book.

What a quitter

Here is the deal for me. He went home and Solich went and talked to him. That is well documented. To say that he quit the team is debatable. I never heard said he quit the team from anyone except for fans. He was mad, went home and was pouting for sure. I would call it going AWOL more than quiting. That is splitting hairs to some and I get that, but that is how I view it.

At the very least I agree that it was an emotional decision made by a 19 year old. Some people will never forgive that. Just like they will never forgive Frost for going to Stanford.

As far as the NFL is concerned with Crouch as I said earlier, he had a decent shot to make the team. His heart just wasn't into playing WR.

Last edited:
And then maybe some other school would have that Heisman Trophy on their resume.

Seems like EC proved he was the best FIT AT QB on the roster that year.

For clarification, Bobby Newcombe was no longer on the team by the time crouch won the heisman…. For that matter not a lot of great players were left by then. That’s a testament to Eric crouch, and a knock on frank. Following a legend is difficult, frank was not up to the task.
For the record, tommie Frazier, turner gill, and Scott frost didn’t win the heisman trophy either, but it’s a team game

For clarification, Bobby Newcombe was no longer on the team by the time crouch won the heisman…. For that matter not a lot of great players were left by then. That’s a testament to Eric crouch, and a knock on frank. Following a legend is difficult, frank was not up to the task.
For the record, tommie Frazier, turner gill, and Scott frost didn’t win the heisman trophy either, but it’s a team game

But Eric Crouch did.

But now I’m confused. Was this thread meant as a mechanism for trashing Crouch or for trashing Solich? Or was it just to rewrite history in support of BN?

Fraizier should have. He had a sub-par game against Oklahoma in crappy weather that hurt him IMO. He didn't put up the biggest numbers and was surrounded by some hefty talent but was still the engine that made the best team hum. Wasn't he the most valuable player in 3 straight NC games? That says something. But back to Bobby Newcombe.....

High Maintenance, maybe.

He quit the team and ran home to Omaha.
He quit the Rams. IIRC he was getting pretty beat up in camp.
"Snowflake" work better?
Again, I never questioned his athleticism. You're right, he was tough. A remarkable athlete. Maybe as long as things were going his way?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back