• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bobby Newcombe

Quitter? The guy stood up to a weekly pounding in Frank’s offense. The guy was tough as nails. I will just leave it at that.
I don’t think quitter is accurate, but even some of the toughest guys don’t always react to certain situations well. Roberto Duran was insanely tough, but we tend to focus on one really poor decision on his part. Crouch had 2 incidents some point towards; the leaving the team after Bobby got named starter, and his switching his acceptance of playing a new position. Both were seen as very immature behavior, and folks tend to remember them more than they maybe should.

My goodness ... no stones go unturned in the offseason!

5ieg9f.jpg

But Eric Crouch did.

But now I’m confused. Was this thread meant as a mechanism for trashing Crouch or for trashing Solich? Or was it just to rewrite history in support of BN?
This thread was started as a discussion topic based off weather Bobby Newcombe had reconciled his hurt feelings towards Nebraska. It wasn’t long getting to the point of degrading Newcombe and/or crouch and hemhawing over fans holding instate talent above or below out of state talent. Also morphing into weather frank solich should still be the coach or if he was in over his head…… did miss anything?

This thread was started as a discussion topic based off weather Bobby Newcombe had reconciled his hurt feelings towards Nebraska. It wasn’t long getting to the point of degrading Newcombe and/or crouch and hemhawing over fans holding instate talent above or below out of state talent. Also morphing into weather frank solich should still be the coach or if he was in over his head…… did miss anything?
Stripes or No Stripes on the pants?

All the fun?

Dare I mention Blackshirts?

Seems to me you accurately described how most Husker message board threads evolve.

The Solich question has been contemplated off and on. It’s a great forum question because there is no way of knowing what would have happened. My personal view is that the program would probably been better off, as compared to most of what followed, if Solich had not been fired and Bo was the defensive coordinator. But as he was following a legend, the window for success was very small.

Bobby Newcombe? That’s a head scratcher to me. I consider any former player a member of the Husker family. If they don’t feel the same because of some perceived slight from decades ago, that‘s their problem. Not really that interesting of a topic to me. I hope any disappointment he may have felt for coaches seeing things different than he has been washed away by the wisdom that the passage of time brings to most.

I guess 20 years from now, someone will start a thread about Luke McCaffrey asking whether he still holds a grudge because the program couldn’t figure out he was the best QB on the team.

Some people apparently take it personal that Crouch only wanted to play qb in the NFL.
I'm not sure why it upsets them so much.
Why is everything so black and white. The guy could both be a great option QB and a bit of a pre Madonna. Pointing that out is not being "upset". It is just saying as good as he was...he was not a saint. Very few people are.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back