• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kurt Rafdal Transfering

Too many unknowns, but at least, we have more potential than weve had in a long time.
For instance, if our RB room blows up, even our O line group, we will be close to recruiting cycle in those two spots too, even WR, knock on wood.

tenor.gif

Its why some Nebraska kids arent comin this year as well.
Our depth is caught up to the cycle finally, at least in one position

We are stocked at one position that has at most two people on the field at once. I wouldn't say this why Nebraska kids aren't coming this year. Headed in the right direction though.

The whole college football world is shifting right now. Kids can pick up and leave at the drop of a hat and go to where they think the grass is greener. We need to get on top of this wave now! Just ringing our hands and saying we want to “vet better” I think is disaster for a school like Nebraska that absolutely has to recruit nationwide.

They all want to play...and immediately.....and they can’t/won’t and some may be just stellar players with time and development.

Somehow we need to convince the ones we want...to stay. And set up moral and dignified ways of helping a player move on to a situation good for him for the ones we don’t.

And for the folks that just give the simple answer of “winning will solve that.”.

OK...sure...a bit, and it will certainly help. But it does not truly solve the overall systemic problem that just was NOT there 4 years ago.

And the problem is simply this: in the old days a school could lock down a kid and make it very difficult for him to transfer. That no longer exists!

And the quicker we come to realize this and take bold aggressive steps to counter it, get on top of it, and even use it to our advantage the sooner we will get to a consistently winning program.

Talking about it is only the first step. The Athletic Department needs to start DOING something about it...spending money...trying new methods. Hiring additional folks to deal specifically with this new phenomenon. And soon!

Nebraska was literally the very first school to go all in on strength training, conditioning and nutrition. When no one else made the effort. The benefits were immediate and for literally 30 years Nebraska had an edge on opponents that they simply did not have.

We need to be the first school that learns how to USE this new situation that is only going to get worse.
I understand the point you are trying to make. However this is a new world. So a few points.

1. These kids were all the best athletes on their HS teams. Many can not accept that they are not still the best on the team. (We all look skinnier than we are when we look in the mirror.)
2. The portal is still relatively new. So Right now it is over utilized. Because all these kids think that 100 schools are lined up to take them. As time goes on I expect it to be significantly smaller as kids see how many get picked up by no one.
3. Covid is in play here as well. Kids are looking at moving closer to home. because then they may get the chance to visit family. Many have not in over a year.
4. When I grew up my dad worked at the same company for 40 years then retired. That is rare today. Most people no longer have that expectation. It is a new world. In the same way many think the college they start at is just a starting point. If things do not work out so be it. The best kids on average transfer away from the best schools. Remember the LSU QB a few years ago that had one of the greatest college seasons ever? He was a backup at OSU before transferring to LSU. If he stays at OSU he is not the #! overall selection in the draft. BAMA probably transfers 6 guys every year that could start on 90% of the teams.. The TO era of ball is dead.

All in all we do need to find a way to play in this new world. Trying to keep unhappy guys is not the right way.

How many years before we start referring to the Transfer Portal as the You Wish.

Last edited:

All in all we do need to find a way to play in this new world. Trying to keep unhappy guys is not the right way.

i think you just said what I was trying to say....

Only better...

my worry is that right now we all realize it’s a new world...we all talk about it...

Yet we don’t see a lot of “doing” to try to adapt.

Wishin’ and hopin’..... and the “same old, same old”...ain’t a plan.

Lets hope that isn’t the case.

I understand the point you are trying to make. However this is a new world. So a few points.

1. These kids were all the best athletes on their HS teams. Many can not accept that they are not still the best on the team. (We all look skinnier than we are when we look in the mirror.)
2. The portal is still relatively new. So Right now it is over utilized. Because all these kids think that 100 schools are lined up to take them. As time goes on I expect it to be significantly smaller as kids see how many get picked up by no one.
3. Covid is in play here as well. Kids are looking at moving closer to home. because then they may get the chance to visit family. Many have not in over a year.
4. When I grew up my dad worked at the same company for 40 years then retired. That is rare today. Most people no longer have that expectation. It is a new world. In the same way many think the college they start at is just a starting point. If things do not work out so be it. The best kids on average transfer away from the best schools. Remember the LSU QB a few years ago that had one of the greatest college seasons ever? He was a backup at OSU before transferring to LSU. If he stays at OSU he is not the #! overall selection in the draft. BAMA probably transfers 6 guys every year that could start on 90% of the teams.. The TO era of ball is dead.

That may be the most reasonable post I’ve seen here in a long time. :Cheers:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back