• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

You know, there is some talent at NU

If I counted right, we have 23 4 stars, vast majority are freshmen, rs freshmen, covid freshmen, whatever, they are freshmen.

Taking into account,for the last decade we averaged 5 4 stars per class,that means we currently have them all, even counting the others whove left,plu a few more, almost six per class average.

I know this doesnt mean they all pan out, but as I said, they ARE here.
Lets hope they do, an lets hope some of the 3 stars step up as well as walkons.

Just good numbers at this point, so yes, there is hope

Are you are saying the sites that grade talent are now horribly wrong, by having such a large amount of players that are 4 stars on this current team, and though we havnt seen many of them play, or as freshmen if we have, they are wrong?

If you re saying they missed mote talent back then, and are now more thorough, maybe theres something to that

Let's see ...
2021 class, four 4-stars
2020 class, six remaining 4-stars (four left)
2019 class, four remain (three left)
2018 class, three remain (three left)

EDIT: I missed counting three four-stars that have transferred to Nebraska during this time frame.

The 2005 class (Callahan) was loaded -- ranked 8th nationally with one 5-star and 8 four-stars, including Zach Potter, Zach Bowman, Lucky, Suh, and Dillard (and others that developed into NFL players, such as Matt Slausen, Barry Turner, and Steve Octavien). 2006 class had five 4-stars, including Purify and Carl Nicks. 2007 class had six 4-stars, including Asante and Niles Paul (and non-4 star studs like Prince Amukamura, Crick, Helu).

Callahan couldn't coach (especially with Cosgrove's failures), but there was no doubt talent, which Bo inherited and did well with between 2008 and 2010.

I'm not questioning the recruiting sites' rankings. I'm questioning that we have more talent on our team now than at any point this century, which is what you said.

Regardless, we definitely have talent on our current team -- as I've also said. More talent than any other Big Ten West team for all of Frost's years -- at least based on recruiting rankings. That's not the problem -- and there obviously have been problems. My initial debate in this thread is the underdevelopment of talent under Frost -- at least thus far. We'll see in 2021.

Last edited:
Let's see ...
2021 class, four 4-stars

EDIT: I missed counting three four-stars that have transferred to Nebraska during this time frame.

The 2005 class (Callahan) was loaded -- ranked 8th nationally with one 5-star and 8 four-stars, including Zach Potter, Zach Bowman, Lucky, Suh, and Dillard (and others that developed into NFL players, such as Matt Slausen, Barry Turner, and Steve Octavien). 2006 class had five 4-stars, including Purify and Carl Nicks. 2007 class had six 4-stars, including Asante and Niles Paul (and non-4 star studs like Prince Amukamura, Crick, Helu).

Callahan couldn't coach (especially with Cosgrove's failures), but there was no doubt talent, which Bo inherited and did well with between 2008 and 2010.

I'm not questioning the recruiting sites' rankings. I'm questioning that we have more talent on our team now than at any point this century, which is what you said.

Regardless, we definitely have talent on our current team -- as I've also said. More talent than any other Big Ten West team for all of Frost's years -- at least based on recruiting rankings. That's not the problem -- and there obviously have been problems. My initial debate in this thread is the underdevelopment of talent under Frost -- at least thus far. We'll see in 2021.

Where is this "talent" that you speak of? I'm not talking about the number of recruiting stars they have...I am referring to how they look and play on the field. Last year we looked pathetic for the most part, as we did the year before. There were maybe two guys on defense who looked consistently good, and no one on offense really stood out to me as a great player. The one really good player we had on offense (W. Robinson) transferred out. Unless a bunch of guys really step up their game I see the same thing happening this year.

Where is this "talent" that you speak of? I'm not talking about the number of recruiting stars they have...I am referring to how they look and play on the field. Last year we looked pathetic for the most part, as we did the year before. There were maybe two guys on defense who looked consistently good, and no one on offense really stood out to me as a great player. The one really good player we had on offense (W. Robinson) transferred out. Unless a bunch of guys really step up their game I see the same thing happening this year.

Refer to the last post on page 1 of this thread.

It appears you are not very familiar with my writings during the Frost era, which I find quite refreshing -- in a newborn sinner type of way.

Just look at the roster on the defensive side from 2009. Suh, Hagg, Amukamura, Dennard, Dillard, Compton, Crick, Asante, O'Hanlon. All those guys went on to play in the pros. We don't have that kind of talent on our roster right now.
Being developed. Diamond in the rough is still a rough diamond without a good jeweler

How do you define talent? (Webster)
1. Talent definition: a natural aptitude, an inner quality that emerges effortlessly.
Skill definition: an acquired ability, learned with effort.

Regarding the issue of "talent", over the last three years we have seen it defined more by #1 and less by #2.

Second, "talent' alone is insufficient to lead to results on the field as the last three years have shown us. It must be coupled with:

-leadership: where are we going and how are going to get there (championships)
-attention to detail
-unity of purpose
-preparation before the games that leads to the desired outcome
-commitment to all three phases of the game equally

The 2021 team when the freshman arrive on campus, will have more physical "talent" than any team DONU has had this CENTURY.
The match up "talent" wise with every team they play except OU and OSU, they do not have the age depth (juniors and senior "talent") of those two teams.

So will see if more of this "talent" can be harnessed and effort driven talent manifested in 2021.

GBR

This is actually pretty good.

Here's a great real world example. My son decided to go out for track last year (his junior year of high school) but COVID ended the season before it started. So this year (his senior year) is actually his first year. We live in small town Indiana so the coaching is not very skilled (in regards to athlete development). My son's first track meet he ran the 100m in 11.3sec. He ran his leg of the 4x100 in 10.46sec. and he ran the 200m in 23.6sec. I immediately started reaching out to college coaches regarding collegiate level track. I sent them videos. The responses I have received have been very positive but reflect exactly what you said. It is obvious he has natural talent. However, they want to see if he can improve. It seems that 10.9sec. is the magic goal for the next level so now it is up to my son to either embrace the challenge or enjoy the ride.

Great post. Talent does not always equal results.

On offense, the problem in a large part is that players have been asked to do things that don't fit their skill set.
AM at QB: not a great read of defenses, does not make all the throws required by this offense, he would do much better in the offense Scott was in in 1997, not the one Scott was in at Stanford for example.
Farniok at RT: clearly not fit has skill set: poor foot work, not quick, not have good arm use. Talk a out set up to fail!
Jurgens at Center: why keep playing him until the snap problem is fixed! Clearly it could be fixed IN PRACTICE, because that's where it was fixed, so why was he asked to play when he was NOT READY?
Wandale at RB on goal line: So obvious I won't discuss.

So you can have "Good players" or "talent" that can't demonstrate it self because its not being put in position to best show its skill sets.

By the way, in any objective sense, was Wan'dale a "really good player"? His stats would say NO. we could all see that potential for something "good" but as far as:
-big plays: runs/pass receptions of > 20 yards: he did not have many
-TDS: few
-Game winning plays:?
-Special Teams TDS

The lack of these things is not from HIS lack of skills, but from the lack of support around him (most likely) and another component of his eastern migration (?).

So gazelle, I think you need to rethink your position on "talent", thinking back to how BoBFather and Dr. Tom positioned players to be their best.

GBR

Let's see ...
2021 class, four 4-stars

Now of course 17 isnt 23, and guys like Casey Rogers Reimer and Piper, the call still is too early on them, plus others.

Point is, we still have more talent on paper, and potentially asmuch as 3 stars.
As a soph or frosh, Suh didnt impress,and that 5 star was a solid contributor, but that was it, it happens.

So again, we have more talent than at any time this century, on the team, right now, but very few of the guys you mentioned were impressing their frosh years, or even their soph years.

So, too early to tell, and yes, there is some talent on this team,in numbers we havnt seen in a long time

Last edited:
Will CTB,Williams , Domann, even Honas, Stille, Dismuke, Allen make it in the pros? The older guys?
Theres and argument for potentials there in this group, besides the frosh group,and guys like Reimer or Piper or potentially three O linemen we havnt seen much of yet.

Now of course 17 isnt 23, and guys like Casey Rogers Reimer and Piper, the call still is too early on them, plus others.

Point is, we still have more talent on paper, and potentially asmuch as 3 stars.
As a soph or frosh, Suh didnt impress,and that 5 star was a solid contributor, but that was it, it happens.

So again, we have more talent than at any time this century, on the team, right now, but very few of the guys you mentioned were impressing their frosh years, or even their soph years.

So, too early to tell, and yes, there is some talent on this team,in numbers we havnt seen in a long time
Sounds like they need players to step up and demand action. Where are those players? Did they lose that coming from HS to Neb?

or is this another takes time piece of the puzzle

Sounds like they need players to step up and demand action. Where are those players? Did they lose that coming from HS to Neb?

or is this another takes time piece of the puzzle
Simple, ask Suh or any of most all of Nebraska guys as a frosh

If there werent holes in the team not long ago, if there were depth, and those young guys had a chance to play like in our older teams, we could then see that short amount of playing time, and get a glimpse of their potential.
Instead, weve had to play older guys not the same caliber, or hd no depth, and start the Corcorans, the Jaimes, the Farnioks etc etc, and its likely all three will be playing on sundays.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back